Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 PM

648 posts, read 1,966,660 times

Advertisements

Allendale. No question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 PM

40 posts, read 72,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
Allendale. No question.
why?

Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,776,762 times
For me, also Allandale in a no-brainer, but then I am not you?? I hate the whole MPC cookie-cutter, sprawlville, everything thrown up last week on the cheap vibe, which is 95% of Jollyville, Spicewood. Allandale will have a greater variety of housing, mature trees, much better access to entertainment options, non big box retail, and well everything that makes Austin Austin as opposed to anywhere US suburbia. Also the commute downtown will be brutal from Jollyville. If you want all new and generic, I would look at SW Austin before Jollyville - almost identical housing and amenities, very similar topography, and you would cut your commute nearly in half.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:21 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,123,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raristo View Post
I think you sum up nicely. The dilemma is we want a convenient location with decent public school system (doesn't have to be Eanes ISD level). Is there any other neighborhood you could suggest?
Just go on the other side of MoPac from Allandale, Doss/Hill Elementary, Murchison MS, and Anderson HS.

Other option that many MANY families in Allandale pursue is exemplary Gullet, then Kealing magnet for middle school and then either back to McCallum or on to LASA. Private only for middle school is also another popular option in that area.

Good friends in Allandale, in fact, DM me and I can put you in touch with the volunteer extraordinaire who is on the safety/crime committee. I consider Allandale super-safe! But that's just me.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Just go on the other side of MoPac from Allandale, Doss/Hill Elementary, Murchison MS, and Anderson HS.

Other option that many MANY families in Allandale pursue is exemplary Gullet, then Kealing magnet for middle school and then either back to McCallum or on to LASA. Private only for middle school is also another popular option in that area.

Good friends in Allandale, in fact, DM me and I can put you in touch with the volunteer extraordinaire who is on the safety/crime committee. I consider Allandale super-safe! But that's just me.
We really like NW Hill area but couldn't find any house we like within the budget.

What is DM?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,123,382 times
Quote:
We really like NW Hill area but couldn't find any house we like within the budget.

What is DM?
Direct message, click on a user name and direct message is an option.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,404,947 times
I think Allandale is a wonderful neighborhood as I have lived here (and stayed by choice) for many years. Quiet, extremely convenient, and very "comfortable". We have had quite a bit of property crime lately, ie cars being broken into but I think that is just a sign of the times. No police presence doesn't help the matter. I do wish the local parents would support the schools by sending their kids to ALL the local public schools, ie Lamar instead of choosing the magnet schools. Maybe that will improve as more young families move in? I am wondering why you don't consider Crestview too.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I am wondering why you don't consider Crestview too.
We found Crestview to have smaller house / lots comparing with Allandale / Rosedale.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,038,868 times
There is crime all over now because the economy is bad and people can be bad. However, Allendale is a wonderful, safe area. I would think crime overall would be less in that area.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,124,616 times
Quote:
I used the following website for crime reports.

Allandale, Austin, TX Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

Most crimes in Allandale are burglaries which are property crimes you mentioned. There are a lot less crimes in Jollyville which is somewhat expected. Typically the closer you are to town, the crime rate will go up. My question is overall is Allandale a pretty safe neighborhood? When my wife lived in Yorba Linda, California, she can leave the front door open in the evening when we went out for a walk.

That spot crime linked above shows only recent crimes and makes them look more significant then they are if you don't bother to check each icon to see what it means.

This is a lot better map to use in comparing crime across the various Austin neighborhoods. The color coding provides a heat map showing crime activities. Crime Map Beta - Trulia

Keep in mind, because property crimes, especially burglary of vehicles is very high in Austin, any place with lots of parking lots, such as shopping centers, apartment complexes, etc. while reflect high crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: