Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 AM

9 posts, read 16,105 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ,

I have just moved from nashville to austin , and our 3 and a half year old has been diagnosed with a speech disorder .

We had him evaluated and the therapist has recommended to get him evaluated and admitted to a public school .
I need help with that to identify which school would help me with that , i am currently in Jollville area which falls under Travis county .

Also how does the education system work here , bec the therapist was mentioning free education for speech delayed kids . Are all schools equipped with this or are there specific schools ? what program am i looking at ? What am i supposed to enquire about .

He will be getting therapy twice a week and is already attending arbor montessori school .

thanks in advance , please help since i am clueless !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,269,877 times
Sorry, can't specifically answer your question about public schooling, but you can look into the following:

Capitol School (off of Burnet and 2222) - Preschool that specializes in various language disorders including speech delay
Capital Area Speech (just south of 183 and Spicewood Springs) - Speech therapists that also offer parents Hanen lessons

Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM

42 posts, read 46,230 times
First, you need to find out what school district you live in. It is probably Round Rock ISD but I'm not sure. As soon as you do that, call the Special Education department for the school district to find out what services they offer for preschool children with speech disorders. Each district is different but the services usually vary depending upon the type and severity of the disorder. I'm sorry I can't help more but I'm not familiar with how the local school district operate...just how the system works in general due to experiences in other school districts.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Sorry, can't specifically answer your question about public schooling, but you can look into the following:

Capitol School (off of Burnet and 2222) - Preschool that specializes in various language disorders including speech delay
Capital Area Speech (just south of 183 and Spicewood Springs) - Speech therapists that also offer parents Hanen lessons
thank u for the suggestions i will look into it .

Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornspeakeasy View Post
First, you need to find out what school district you live in. It is probably Round Rock ISD but I'm not sure. As soon as you do that, call the Special Education department for the school district to find out what services they offer for preschool children with speech disorders. Each district is different but the services usually vary depending upon the type and severity of the disorder. I'm sorry I can't help more but I'm not familiar with how the local school district operate...just how the system works in general due to experiences in other school districts.
I just checked we fall under austin independant school district . So shud i call their main center and find out which school would have these facilities .

Old 05-13-2011, 04:32 PM

42 posts, read 46,230 times
I don't know how Austin ISD works in particular but in my previous school district (in West Texas), you could call the Special Ed Department to find out who you needed to contact specifically. If you can't find a number for Special Ed, call the Administration Building to find out how to contact them.

In my district the preschools handled their own paperwork but we didn't have as many programs as some of the larger districts here in Central Texas seem to have, so they may have some other type of system. I would also suggest you do so as soon as possible because we always had to go to "Plan B" during the summer because the individuals who usually handled the paperwork, etc. would be off then. It would be much more simple if you could take care of it before the end of the school year.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornspeakeasy View Post
I don't know how Austin ISD works in particular but in my previous school district (in West Texas), you could call the Special Ed Department to find out who you needed to contact specifically. If you can't find a number for Special Ed, call the Administration Building to find out how to contact them.

In my district the preschools handled their own paperwork but we didn't have as many programs as some of the larger districts here in Central Texas seem to have, so they may have some other type of system. I would also suggest you do so as soon as possible because we always had to go to "Plan B" during the summer because the individuals who usually handled the paperwork, etc. would be off then. It would be much more simple if you could take care of it before the end of the school year.
Yes i did get a number for their special education dept , i will call and find out on monday . Thank u so much for all your help .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin