Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 02:12 PM

21 posts, read 64,811 times

Advertisements

I have a family rate at Marriotts and I'm wondering if I should stay at the Courtyard in downtown Austin or the Residence Inn off I-35, south of downtown?

The Residence Inn is cheaper and offers free breakfast and dinner. I would obviously go with that, but there have been vacations that could've been a lot better because the hotels we stayed at were in a really dumpy area (and we had no idea when planning the trip).

I'm wondering if the Residence Inn is in a decent location?

We're planning on doing a lot of exploring and checking out all the city has to offer. We'll be there for 7 days. We'll have a car.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 07:39 PM

554 posts, read 1,747,531 times
Stay at the downtown its in a great location and walking distance to many things. Our wedding guests stayed there several years ago and everybody loved it. There is a residence inn downtown too, shares the property with courtyard. Maybe you can get a room there instead.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:51 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,074,134 times
The South location is a good geographic location from which to head out and explore, but it's also a freeway wasteland of zero walk-ability. You'll be trapped at the hotel or in the car.

I'd go with the downtown location for sure. The only reason not to would be if you're on a super tight budget and need the cost savings, and/or if you abhor everything downtown Austin has to offer and would avail yourselves of absolutely nothing while there. If the later were the case, I'd question why you want to live in Austin.

Stay in the heartbeat of Austin. You won't regret it. It's a fun downtown to visit, no matter your age or desired level of engagement in the nightlife offerings.

Steve

Old 12-17-2011, 10:15 PM

83 posts, read 217,557 times
The South hotel is a nice one, been there twice this year and had a positive experience both times. One side of the hotel is on the I-35 frontage road and the other side is backed by a city elecrtical yard or something and a big corporate park so it's not dumpy at all. Getting to downtown is a quick 5 minute ride down South Congress or South 1st St and you can easily explore from where you are via I-35 or 71/290 which are located 2 seconds from the hotel.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,986,715 times
Definitely stay at the downtown location. Will give you a much better feel for Austin without having to worry about finding a parking spot - and the cost of parking your car for the trip probably won't be a lot more than what you might pay for parking every day you would drive into downtown if you stayed south. Enjoy!!!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:57 PM

970 posts, read 1,875,714 times
Courtyard Downtown by all means.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:49 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,068,348 times
I vote for downtown.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 AM

594 posts, read 1,251,291 times
Downtown is the better location but if I recall right, the prices are higher than other locations.

We had our wedding guests at the Courtyard downtown and everyone raved about the great location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: