Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:39 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,219 times

Advertisements

Wilshire moves walls which makes them semi custom. Track has different meanings North vs. South. Anyway this is an old post so who cares!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,220 times
Default Chinese Drywall builders diclosed in this article

I just read this article which states some of the builders using Chinese Drywall. I don't know if much was used in Austin area or not. I read someplace else they think some may be in Austin. I am going to be careful when we buy a home and try to watch for this. I hope the link works, otherwise copy and paste.
Results of Chinese Drywall Investigation Expected Soon - Building Materials, Drywall - Builder Magazine

Old 10-16-2009, 06:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Wilshire moves walls which makes them semi custom. Track has different meanings North vs. South. Anyway this is an old post so who cares!

I beg to differ. A spec house is just that, but if it is not built yet, any tract builder will make minor changes upon architects approval.

Tract housing (also known as cookie-cutter housing) is a style of housing development in which multiple identical or nearly-identical homes are built to create a community. Tract housing developments may encompass dozens of square miles. Tract housing developments are typically found in North American suburbs that were modeled on the "Levitton" concept.
Tract housing development only makes use of a few designs, and labor costs are reduced because workers only need to learn the skills and movements of constructing a limited variety of home designs. In addition, as all homes in the development will be built at the same time, the cost of purchasing and transporting building supplies may be reduced due to economies of scale.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 AM

477 posts, read 1,580,877 times
Newmark was bought by Scott Felder. There is no more Newmark. Stay away from KB and Meritage. I've seen some shady stuff in Toll Brothers.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXTransplant View Post
Newmark was bought by Scott Felder. There is no more Newmark. Stay away from KB and Meritage. I've seen some shady stuff in Toll Brothers.

Wow. The more research I do, the more I'm hearing horror stories about Meritage. We just started construction on a Meritage Home. It was a toss up between Drees and Meritage, but unfortunately, Drees had already closed out in the neighborhood, and there were only one or two spec homes left. We wanted to build from the ground up, so we went with Meritage. They had several lots available, and we found a beautiful lot with several mature trees, and the lot premium was waived. We're building one of their signature series homes, so I hope all goes well...

I visited Arbor Place this weekend, and it's one of the only gated communities in Round Rock. David Weekley and Highland Homes are the buiders. Meritage was one of the original builders, but they backed out because of cash flow problems, so the developer approached Highland Homes. I am in love with the homes they're building. If we back out now, we'll lose about $7800 dollars... but I think it might be worth it.

Anyone interested in a custom home in the Round Rock area, definitely check out Arbor Place. Homes start in the $500k range...and they are beautiful!!

Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Wow. The more research I do, the more I'm hearing horror stories about Meritage. We just started construction on a Meritage Home. It was a toss up between Drees and Meritage, but unfortunately, Drees had already closed out in the neighborhood, and there were only one or two spec homes left. We wanted to build from the ground up, so we went with Meritage. They had several lots available, and we found a beautiful lot with several mature trees, and the lot premium was waived. We're building one of their signature series homes, so I hope all goes well...

I visited Arbor Place this weekend, and it's one of the only gated communities in Round Rock. David Weekley and Highland Homes are the buiders. Meritage was one of the original builders, but they backed out because of cash flow problems, so the developer approached Highland Homes. I am in love with the homes they're building. If we back out now, we'll lose about $7800 dollars... but I think it might be worth it.

Anyone interested in a custom home in the Round Rock area, definitely check out Arbor Place. Homes start in the $500k range...and they are beautiful!!
Our neighborhood is a combination of builders. I was able to watch my house be built at the same time as my neighbors. Mine is a Drees, his is a Meritage.

What I noticed between the two were:
  • The Meritage was built about 1.5 months faster.
  • The Drees seemed to include a lot of fit and finish features that Meritage charged for. (example, automatic sprinkler system) They had a very high price for this.
  • Our house appeared to have the exterior walls insulated and sealed better. (note: our house is an energy star house, his isn't)
I can't comment on warranty issues, we have had great service on the warranty so far. I'm unsure about my neighbors experience with warranty.

My other neighbor had Fredrick Harris (Newmark) build their house. That house was slapped together and the contruction material was just ground up and placed as fill under their 4" of dirt under their sod.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,288 times
Appendix to my post: I think Meritage can build a good house it all depends on the sub contractors and the building supervisor. I would hire an inspector that speciallizes in new construction that will inspect the house several times through the process.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:38 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXTransplant View Post
You'll find 'shady stuff' with all of them if you look hard enough. Google and you'll find [name of builder] sucks.com or "name of builder" complaints.com. It's the nature of the beast. They all use subs and they all have their issues.

I own a KB home and I like my house. It's not made out of spit and paper. It's all subjective, I say.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:40 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fontana View Post
I do not recommend Standard Pacific. I bought one and was VERY unhappy.
oh, please.. There is nothing wrong with Standard Pacific. The few items I had were fixed promptly by the one year warranty - I don't even remember what they were outside of touch-up paint - they were that minor, seriously. As for options and aethetics, our neighborhood has about 10 floor plans, 3-4 elevation options, 12 types of stone, 15 types of brick. Give the option to mirror plans as well, so do the math: 10x3x27x2 - you have a 1:1620 odds of having a house in your neighborhood look like yours. That's nothing to blush at. What's considered "standard" on their houses aren't even offered by the companies mentioned below. Our house took 18 months to build, as we worked closely with the superintendant on the job, and never heard "no" or were brushed off. They did a lot more than they should have or could have. We even submitted our own drawings to them (civil) to be used on our lot, and they accepted them!

If you want complete shoddy construction, and you neighbor two doors down to have the identical house as yours, try KB, Newmark or Meritage.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:38 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,797 times
Don't do that and loose your $$$

There are interesting websites that even knock DREES and some of the best builders out there. People honesty just plain out cry babies!
With the housing crash that happened a lot that had lot into their homes were drawn from the house crash and so they complain online and even some dared the Home Builders to buy back their homes for what they paid.

My personal opionion is to HIRE A PRIVATE INSPECTOR and have him walk through the building process from the ground up!

A home builder is just the name, but its the contractors THEY (HB's use) that are the problem. Now you can depend on the HB's foreman, but I would not. I say "HIRE A PRIVATE INSPECTOR ".

Good luck on your dream home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin