Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 AM

308 posts, read 1,467,765 times

Advertisements

I am recently dealing with a builder, and when I have concerns, I normally shot them an email so that I can track and make sure I will not forget. My builder now claims that they will not respond to emails any more, and in case I have any issue, I will have to set up a meeting with their sales. They also claimed that most of the builders are that way. Is that true? I doubt anyone has so much time to schedule a meeting and make the trip through out the whole construction process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:22 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,621 times
for warranty, building, or sales issues? For warranty or building I would think it would be better since the have a paper trail. For sales, I can see their point.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:29 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
I am recently dealing with a builder, and when I have concerns, I normally shot them an email so that I can track and make sure I will not forget. My builder now claims that they will not respond to emails any more, and in case I have any issue, I will have to set up a meeting with their sales. They also claimed that most of the builders are that way. Is that true? I doubt anyone has so much time to schedule a meeting and make the trip through out the whole construction process.
Are you sending long emails with lots of questions?

When I get people who do that, I pick up the phone too, because it can be time consuming trying to answer certain types of questions via email, but quick and easy to do so with a conversation.

Sorry if I'm assuming too much (that you might be making a pest of yourself) but you have to understand that you have a certain amount of "complaint capital" in any sort of complicated transaction, especially building/buying a new home.

Don't burn up all your complaint capital on petty things, or by sending strings of daily emails with "concerns" or "questions".

Steve

Old 08-25-2010, 03:50 PM

mainly for warranty and building. sales can be done in a contract once for all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
for warranty, building, or sales issues? For warranty or building I would think it would be better since the have a paper trail. For sales, I can see their point.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 PM

No, I am not good at writing essays.... mainly just make a list of questions. phone calls are hard to me, since I found I always missed something after I finished a call. By sending emails, I got time to organize and track back of coz. If my questions are not all answered, I may choose to go after the answers. also for building issues, I don't trust whatever they said over the phone, coz people can forget or choose to forget what they said before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Are you sending long emails with lots of questions?

When I get people who do that, I pick up the phone too, because it can be time consuming trying to answer certain types of questions via email, but quick and easy to do so with a conversation.

Sorry if I'm assuming too much (that you might be making a pest of yourself) but you have to understand that you have a certain amount of "complaint capital" in any sort of complicated transaction, especially building/buying a new home.

Don't burn up all your complaint capital on petty things, or by sending strings of daily emails with "concerns" or "questions".

Steve

Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,280,199 times
I'm guessing the builder doesn't want a paper trail, which e-mail provides. Run from such a builder.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
people respond to your inquiries bek they have to. legally, they must respond to certified mail and fax.
a 62 dollar fax machine can accomplish wonders. a cell phone can at least track calls made. however fax is your best legal device for dealing with difficult agencies.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:21 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
mainly for warranty and building. sales can be done in a contract once for all.
my experience was that I sent a few emails. I saved them up until I had a decent list and sent them as bullet items, they were good at replying to them. It seems odd that they said that they would respond to emails. If you are in the build process you are pretty much stuck with them so I would drop by the office everytime you have a question. I would still want some stuff in writing for important stuff.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
It seems odd that they said that they would respond to emails
That's why I am wonder what the content of these emails are. I've had tenants (and a few buyers) send me long diatribes with all sort of ill formed questions mixed with opinions, worries, hand wringing based on their projected fears and such, to which I respond "put it in a nutshell or call me, but I can't respond to all this". And I'm a prodigious writer and it's too much for me.

So I know builders can get worn down and frustrated by buyers pecking at their ankles every day, like little chickens, with never-ending streams of questions that really should be answered by their Realtor, the lender, the title company, or their inspector, and at some point, they will just shut down and go into fetal position, stick their fingers in their ears, and start muttering la, la, la, la, la, hoping it will stop and wishing they'd never met the buyer.

OP, what are some example of questions or things you've been emailing to the builder? Maybe that will help us help you decide if the builder is being obstinate or if you are wearing them down. Also, you can always document conversations in other ways, such as a simple journal or a notepad doc on your computer.

Steve

Old 08-25-2010, 09:14 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,300 times
2 reasons

They do not want a trail if you decide to take legal action...you should be alarmed big time....

Companies actually don't mind if you give up searching for answers because it's cheaper for them...you asking questions cost money..

I would continue to send emails and tell them you work around the world and can not possible show up physically to ask questions or pick up a phone when your in Japan...put the onus back on them and watch carefully.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: