Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 PM

21 posts, read 64,904 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm wondering what neighborhoods in Austin would be comparable to Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood?
The features I'm looking for are:
walk-ability, people, local shops, farmers markets, coffee shops, restaurants, night life, breweries, sidewalks and grass for dogs (I don't like downtown areas because they are too concrete and not dog friendly).

Price isn't a huge concern, because I'll pay to live in the neighborhood I will enjoy most.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 06:10 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,085,716 times
I used to live on Capital Hill from 85-87 (Bellevue Ave) and then in other parts of Seattle for another 16 years. There really is no place comparable to Capital Hill here. If you come expecting a Capital Hill type environment, you are going to be disappointed.

You will need to live in the downtown area to get all of the amenities and walk-ability that you are seeking.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:15 PM

7,746 posts, read 15,200,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat46 View Post
Hello,

I'm wondering what neighborhoods in Austin would be comparable to Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood?
The features I'm looking for are:
walk-ability, people, local shops, farmers markets, coffee shops, restaurants, night life, breweries, sidewalks and grass for dogs (I don't like downtown areas because they are too concrete and not dog friendly).

Price isn't a huge concern, because I'll pay to live in the neighborhood I will enjoy most.

Any advice would be appreciated.
If price isnt a huge concern, why not stay in Seattles capitol hill neighborhood?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,786,782 times
Closest, but not quite there, would be in descending order: Old West Austin, Clarksville, Hyde Park, Travis Heights, Bouldin Creek, Central East Austin, North Campus, North Loop, Rosedale. No breweries, but all of them have reasonable walkability to nightlife, coffee-shops, restaurants. The farmer's market at the the Triangle is pretty good (Hyde Park, North Loop), though not as good as Boggy Creek (Central East Austin). Nearly all of Austin is dog friendly and there are plenty of great off-leash dog parks all over Central Austin, and I would not rule out downtown, which is indeed a little concretey, but you are right at the Town/Lady Bird Lake hike and bike trail. Few cities have as much nature in the heart of their downtowns as Austin.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 PM

21 posts, read 64,904 times
Jobs and weather are the reasons I may be moving. I'm just trying to get information. Thanks for all the great info homeinatx!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:07 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,636,935 times
Another neighborhood that might work is Tarrytown

Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,571,992 times
Look west of Lamar and north of 6th Street. If you can find anything available in there.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:08 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,164,889 times
I just visited Seattle recently and I found it to be a beautiful, affordable (though coming from Boston) city. Like Jennibc said, I don't think there's a comparable neighborhood to Capitol Hill in Austin, but some of the other posters can list some that are close.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 07:28 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,085,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I just visited Seattle recently and I found it to be a beautiful, affordable (though coming from Boston) city. Like Jennibc said, I don't think there's a comparable neighborhood to Capitol Hill in Austin, but some of the other posters can list some that are close.

Definitely getting more affordable since we lived there. Housing prices have dropped over 20% in the last four years.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 02:22 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,612,195 times
West Austin and Clarksdale seem like pretty good fits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: