Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM

295 posts, read 949,337 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I've been living in Keller for little over two years and right now there's an opportunity to move to Austin with a new job. They are supposed to be telling me anytime now in which building I would be working (the company has two there) but assuming that the office location isn't important, what areas in Austin would you compare to Keller or Southlake? I'm looking for

1. Great schools (have a 3rd grader and a kindergartener)
2. Houses in the 300-450k range, with great amenities and hopefully not as high taxes (I pay 3.2% here in Keller!)
3. Hopefully not too far away or isolated from the city. Keller is about 25 minutes to Fort Worth and about 45 minutes from Dallas, which isn't bad.
4. Last, my wife is a Dental Hygienist and having a location with a few dental offices would be great so she can find a job there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM

372 posts, read 1,149,164 times
Do you know in what part of town you would be working in? The best districts in the area are generally in this order: Eanes ISD, Lake Travis ISD, Round Rock ISD and or Leander ISD, Austin ISD. You can check out http://www.greatschools.com to see school rankings based on test scores (although this does not always paint an accurate picture of a school) as well as read parent feedback. Are you looking for newer homes in a master planned community with parks and pools and possibly schools right in the community? What type of activities do you and your kids like to do? How familiar are you with Austin? North of Austin you have the towns of Round Rock, Pflugerville, Cedar Park, and Leander. West, you have West Lake and Lakeway. Although it is hard to figure out where Austin stops and these towns start. Generally, the further outside Austin you go, the lower the cost of a home.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:03 PM

295 posts, read 949,337 times
We currently live in a master planned community and like the concept of the pools/parks/schools in the neighborhood. So yes, that would be an option. We have been to Austin once and only to visit with friends and check out the capitol building, downtown, etc. Not sure for example what would the best master planned communities are. I would appreciate if you could point them out so I can do some research.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:19 PM

372 posts, read 1,149,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamber View Post
We currently live in a master planned community and like the concept of the pools/parks/schools in the neighborhood. So yes, that would be an option. We have been to Austin once and only to visit with friends and check out the capitol building, downtown, etc. Not sure for example what would the best master planned communities are. I would appreciate if you could point them out so I can do some research.

Thanks!
Here are a few suggestions to get you started:

In the Round Rock / Cedar Park / Leander areas, you might want to check out Mayfield Ranch, Sendero Springs, Behrens Ranch, Ranch at Brushy Creek, Avery Ranch, Buttercup Creek, Crystal Falls, Red Oaks, River Place, and Steiner Ranch.

In the Lake Travis Area, you might want to check out the Hills of Lakeway.

In south Austin, you might want to check out Circle C

Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 AM

5 posts, read 5,555 times
We moved here a few years ago from the Keller/Southlake area. Would love to help you out with answering questions. Send me a note and I can send cell number etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin