Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 PM
ail ail started this thread

34 posts, read 79,160 times

Advertisements

I am fairly new to Austin, and was wondering if people have kids birthday parties outdoors in mid-Dec? I'd like to have my 3 yr old's bday at a park (w/ a shelter), at 3:30 p.m. but I hear that it can get really cold at that time of the year. Should I look for indoor venues instead?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
It can be gorgeous in mid-December in Austin! Really amazing!!

But there is always the risk of a cold front coming through. It could be drizzling and 45 degrees or 75 with a beautiful blue sky . . . so, I'd go with the park but have a backup plan too. 3 year old aren't hard to satisfy, so you should be fine.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Personally I would think twice. If it's cold and rainy, you'll really regret being outside in nippy conditions for 3 hours.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,217 times
It can be hit and miss. We've had two outdoor parties recently in early/mid December. One was gorgeous and in the 70's, the other was also a pretty day but in the 30's. You just never know here.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
These kids will whine. People in Austin can't handle any cold.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
These kids will whine. People in Austin can't handle any cold.
A good reason not to have an outside party in December.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
It can be hit and miss. We've had two outdoor parties recently in early/mid December. One was gorgeous and in the 70's, the other was also a pretty day but in the 30's. You just never know here.
How did people handle the party with temps in the 30's? Was it at night? It's rarely in the 30's in mid day. I wouldn't go to a party outside with temps in the 30's personally.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ail View Post
I am fairly new to Austin, and was wondering if people have kids birthday parties outdoors in mid-Dec? I'd like to have my 3 yr old's bday at a park (w/ a shelter), at 3:30 p.m. but I hear that it can get really cold at that time of the year. Should I look for indoor venues instead?? Thanks!
If you do have to do it, I suggest earlier in the day when the sun is higher as it will be a little warmer. 3:30 PM this time of year is like 4:30 PM in daylight savings time, it's a little too late. A general rule of thumb is summer parties=evening, winter parties=12 noon for maximum guest comfort.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
How did people handle the party with temps in the 30's? Was it at night? It's rarely in the 30's in mid day. I wouldn't go to a party outside with temps in the 30's personally.
It was during the day... Big 12 Championship day in '09 IIRC, so early Dec for that one (party wasn't related, just remember the connection). Fortunately it was at our house so we adjusted, cleared out the garage, borrowed space heaters and survived with over 100 people in our small house at the time, but we knew that was part of the risk we took. So that one wasn't necessarily at a park, but we had planned for a majority of it to be outside because we figured the odds were slightly in our favor for a nice day. Without looking at numbers, just personal experience and randomly pulling a number out of air, I'd say it's probably 55-60% you'll get a pretty day in the 60's or 70's but there is a solid chance for cold or cold and crappy. Those fronts seem to come through every 5-7 days.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:36 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
It was during the day... Big 12 Championship day in '09 IIRC, so early Dec for that one (party wasn't related, just remember the connection). Fortunately it was at our house so we adjusted, cleared out the garage, borrowed space heaters and survived with over 100 people in our small house at the time, but we knew that was part of the risk we took. So that one wasn't necessarily at a park, but we had planned for a majority of it to be outside because we figured the odds were slightly in our favor for a nice day. Without looking at numbers, just personal experience and randomly pulling a number out of air, I'd say it's probably 55-60% you'll get a pretty day in the 60's or 70's but there is a solid chance for cold or cold and crappy. Those fronts seem to come through every 5-7 days.
The weather forecasts are pretty good these days. They can see fronts at least a week out so you will most likely have at least 5-7 days warning to have a backup plan.

I use this site to see wind forecasts which are very accurate. When the wind comes from the north (wind direction arrow pointing down), that is a front and it is going to be cold. If the wind comes from the south then it is gulf air which will be warmer. I have also found the temperature forecasts to be a bit more accurate than weather.com and they show temperatures in 3 hour blocks.

this is a wind forecast for pflugerville

iKitesurf.com - CW8206 Pflugerville - Wind Forecasts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin