Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,543 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a surgeon considering relocating to Austin from Florida. My questions are for any physicians practicing there who know the medical climate (malpractice/HMO/insurance reimbursement/cost of running a practice).

I have family in Texas and consider it my home state, despite having not lived there full time for many years. I have a very strong CV and 8+ years of practice experience post-residency, with what I think is an impeccable local reputation, but practice in a subspecialty where word-of-mouth plays a large part in maintaining a practice, and I would be "starting over" in terms of getting known in a new marketplace.

I'd like to know how the economic climate is treating physicians in Austin compared to other cities in Texas, and if you can comment, on how it compares to other states. Specifically, do you see continued growth in your patient catchment population?

How are your insurance reimbursements (e.g., typical insurance in-network contract as a multiple of Medicare reimbursement), and is it feasible to remain out-of-network and make a living there? (It is not generally practical here in south Florida)?

Do you consider Austin a "physician-friendly" environment in terms of relationships with other professionals, collegiality among physicians, etc?

Any perspective from people practicing there is helpful. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:44 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,655,378 times
Good luck, I don't recall any regular posters here that have said they are doctors but maybe there is one.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,895 times
Re: malpractice/HMO/insurance reimbursement/cost of running a practice - better than the national average.

It would be tough to remain out-of-network here unless you are one of a very few specialities, though there are some who pull it off in Austin.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:03 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
It can be difficult to get licensed in Texas if you have anything unusual in your history from med school on. If you have not already started the process, I would do so now.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,543 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice so far. I already have a Texas license and have no issues I am concerned about with regard to credentialing. Main issue is the financial implications of "starting over" with a relocation, and looking for prospective environments that would be good long-term places professionally and personally.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,639 times
Take this with a grain of salt as my wife is just a resident at this point. But we've heard the Austin physician market is pretty tight. This seems odd since Austin doesn't have a medical school and the residency programs it does have are fairly small. If you take into account the growing population you'd think there would be more opportunity but I guess a lot of the people moving there are docs .

Like I said this is just 2nd hand stuff we've heard from others. We're not looking to move to Austin when she's finished so we don't really know the situation first hand.

As far as med mal Texas is one of the best due to the tort reform that was passed in 2003 (though you probably already know this).

Insurance reimbursement is pretty good from what we gather. Depending on your specialty you could go out-of-network or cash only (this also depends on where you set your practice up).

At any rate good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin