Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:44 AM

216 posts, read 996,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Even if price is an object - I still recommend the Driskill. The hotel itself, is excellent, fascinating, and a real piece of Austin history. It's also about as central as you can get. I think it will be hard for anyone staying at the Driskill for their first time here to NOT fall in love with Austin. Blow your budget on the hotel and then eat cheaply at the endless options that you'll have within walking distance. If it's a weekend - you should sit on the balcony with a drink and watch the crazy 6th street nightlife from above. Or step out the door and join it.
b Frank,
Can you eat in their restaurant if you aren't a guest? I was hoping to go and have coffee there one day if it's possible with my inlaws.
Thanks
T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 11:15 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,388,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheMoveAGAIN View Post
b Frank,
Can you eat in their restaurant if you aren't a guest? I was hoping to go and have coffee there one day if it's possible with my inlaws.
Absolutely, yes.
Note: The Driskill Grill is uber-expensive and the only high-end restaurant in Austin that I felt too underdressed to walk into.
But anyone can walk into the hotel and just go to the restaurant - don't be intimidated at the main door - the interior of the hotel is open to the public.

But they also have a great bar (that you will pass thru if you choose to go to the Driskill Grill) with plush couches to lounge in - even a piano player w/lounge singer on weekends.

ALSO, there is the 1886 Cafe & Bakery - also part of the Driskill and open to the public. You can enter from outside or inside the hotel. Much cheaper/more casual than the restaurant and they serve excellent meals and baked goods. This would be the place to go for coffee with the in-laws, I think.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 AM

216 posts, read 996,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Absolutely, yes.
Note: The Driskill Grill is uber-expensive and the only high-end restaurant in Austin that I felt too underdressed to walk into.
But anyone can walk into the hotel and just go to the restaurant - don't be intimidated at the main door - the interior of the hotel is open to the public.

But they also have a great bar (that you will pass thru if you choose to go to the Driskill Grill) with plush couches to lounge in - even a piano player w/lounge singer on weekends.

ALSO, there is the 1886 Cafe & Bakery - also part of the Driskill and open to the public. You can enter from outside or inside the hotel. Much cheaper/more casual than the restaurant and they serve excellent meals and baked goods. This would be the place to go for coffee with the in-laws, I think.
Thanks so much for your reply. They are coming into town next week to mind our children and I wanted to treat them one afternoon for coffee and cake in there. I don't mind the cost as long as it's a once off occasion not a daily one. Also you are paying for the experiece and elegance around you for sure.
Thanks again.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:23 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,237,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlastic View Post
Use Priceline and ask for a 4 star. The pool of 4 stars is only like 3 hotels so you know you will get either the Stephen F Austin, the Hilton or the Omni. Plus it's usually less than $90, much cheaper than the rack rate. If price is no object, do the 4 Seasons or Driskill.
I would like to point out that you rule, GreenPlastic. I did what you said (I checked "Downtown Austin") and put in $100 (although now I wish I'd put in less, heh) and got booked at the Omni.

From a 2 star (my original hotel) to a 4 star for about $80 less! THEN they offered me a rental car for $60 LESS than I had originally booked. So, now I'm staying in a luxury hotel w/ rental car for about $140 less than I was paying before. I really really like saving money. I think I'll go shopping now and buy myself a $140 gift, heh.

You & Priceline rule! And so does The Shat(ner).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin