Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,067,761 times

Advertisements

From Austin Business Journal:
Quote:
Saying they can't find enough workers here, more than 30 Austin-area technology CEOs will head to California next month to recruit employees.
Full article here.

We're seeing a lot of inbound tech workers again. Not like the late 1990s or anything yet, but a definate slow trickle has started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:26 AM

242 posts, read 494,177 times
As someone that cannot find a tech job in Austin, I find the article almost humorous.

I have a stellar resume, but once companies see my out-of-state address, my resume gets trashed immediately. I keep track of hits on various websites I own, and there is virtually no traffic from Austin. Few companies took the time to even search for my name. I had more unique visitors on my blog from Prague in the past month than I did from Austin.

Ironically, I have several open invitations from California companies that sought me out for a position. They all say "a plane ticket is ready whenever you want it". I do have a few first round interviews with Austin companies and one request to fly me in, but I have been so soured by the experience that I am ready to give up and go to California.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,270,040 times
Yes, the "flood of jobs" is something the city of Austin marketing campaign loves to tout. However, what they don't mention is that most of the jobs coming to Austin are minimum wage jobs (much like the entire state). As far as tech jobs, or white collar jobs, there are no more here than any other place. So heading to California would be a fabulous idea sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
As someone that cannot find a tech job in Austin, I find the article almost humorous.

I have a stellar resume, but once companies see my out-of-state address, my resume gets trashed immediately. I keep track of hits on various websites I own, and there is virtually no traffic from Austin. Few companies took the time to even search for my name. I had more unique visitors on my blog from Prague in the past month than I did from Austin.

Ironically, I have several open invitations from California companies that sought me out for a position. They all say "a plane ticket is ready whenever you want it". I do have a few first round interviews with Austin companies and one request to fly me in, but I have been so soured by the experience that I am ready to give up and go to California.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
And yet - an article in the Statesman two days earlier says Evernote, a rising software company based in Mountain View, CA (smack in the middle of Silicon Valley), is hiring 500 people, perhaps half in their new Austin office. I use their software on my smartphone. It is good stuff.

Evernote software company plans new studio, aggressive hiring in Austin

Old 09-01-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
However, what they don't mention is that most of the jobs coming to Austin are minimum wage jobs (much like the entire state)
Well, maybe it's because of the class of homes I manage, but half the renters we lease to now are coming from out of state, and they are making mid/upper salaries ($75K-$120K+) and have good credit scores. They typical exhibit the behavior of the 1990s transplant. They want to rent for a year or two to settle and learn Austin, then buy later. Gone is the "have to buy now" ferver of the 2000s.

Steve

Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM

509 posts, read 1,545,598 times
It's diappointing that they are not putting more efforts into recruiting home grown talent. Is there a cache in the industry to have recruited employees from CA? Personally, I'd like to see the Austin Technology Council partner with local high schools and/or ACC to develop the skills that they are looking for.

As an example, we have a very good local technical high school, but it is underenrolled for certain specialties and the big push here is for all kids to attend college. The small local HVAC company I use could never find enough techs, so they partnered with the tech hs and the community college to offer school credits for time worked. They also started their own apprenticeship program for people who wanted to learn HVAC skills. If one little company in the suburbs can do this, I don't understand why a multi-company council in a metro area cannot do something similar.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM

589 posts, read 1,813,834 times
These days, tech jobs are so specific as to the desired skill sets that it is hard to find that perfect candidate. Also, I think hiring managers have gotten picky because there is a plethora of talent out there to choose from. Why hire an Engineer from Austin who has 6 of 10 desired skills when you can get a 9 or 10 of 10 engineer from California? It goes both ways of course.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
Dr. Mom - your point is good one - but it is most relevant to building the pipeline of talent for ten years from now.

These companies are looking for very strong skills. Smaller startup style companies have no time for unproven or novice people. They want people who can get the job done now.

I'm not convinced though that the people they want aren't nearby. Maybe they just aren't getting the word out that these positions exist.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
It's diappointing that they are not putting more efforts into recruiting home grown talent. Is there a cache in the industry to have recruited employees from CA?
I think there may be a shortage of the specialties being sought, as mentioned already. And I do think the recruiting pool is much richer there and a lot of that talent has California Fatigue with regard to the differential between amount earned, cost of living and work grind.

So, if you're a talented CS gal in San Jose, you could move to Austin and get out of the grind and raise your disposable income by even more that the salary increase.

Just my guess.

Steve

Old 09-01-2011, 12:56 PM

982 posts, read 3,308,778 times
People keep saying that the tech shortage is an Austin problem, but I think it's everywhere: Engineers wanted: The war for tech talent - Mar. 7, 2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin