Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 09:26 AM

212 posts, read 1,076,771 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Yesterday my church asked my wife an I to lead an effort to come up with a community oriented service project for our congregation (about 300-400 folks). Since I'm new to the area, I was wondering if anyone on this board has any ideas in the Round Rock / N Austin areas. We're looking for something our whole congregation can get involved in (young kids, teenagers, adults and seniors). We be very interested in partnering with other local non profit organizations (red cross, habitat for humanity, etc) and other faiths.

Right now I'm just not sure where the need is and looking to brainstorm some ideas and thought this forum would be a great place to start.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 12:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
Here in Hutto, there is the Hope Pregnancy Center that is a faith based outreach program. It offers counciling services and several other things for young, pregnant women who opt for no abortion, although I think abortion may also be something they do discuss, but maybe just counseling girls who are considering it. I also saw something on the news where a group of christian youth were in some border towns in Mexico helping people build new homes/ do repairs (I don't remember who the main group they were working with was, but they did liken it to habitat for humanity). In denver, I was on the missions committee at my church and they helped cook meals at ronald mcdonald house. They also worked with homeless groups (once even ran a shelter out of the basement), and provided them with basic toiletries, food, coats, etc...helped them find jobs. Just throwing some ideas your way..Hope it gives you a place to start!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:11 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,065,435 times
What about the Williamson County Animal Shelter? They are seriously understaffed and in need of real help.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:35 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
OOhh! Excellent idea...And all ages, like you were saying, could get involved.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:03 PM

216 posts, read 996,402 times
Default Local news

I saw something a couple of weeks back on the local news. It was about a group of neighbors that got together to fix up otherwise neglected areas. The county had no funding to cut grass or make a pathway in it so the neighbors got together and cleared the detritus making it beautiful.

Also if everyone in your group just brought along one can/packet of food with them boxes of food could be given to the needy in your church. Sometimes the only help these families get are at Christmas, Thanksgiving or Easter. Some folk will struggle at times during the year too.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:08 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,065,435 times
Another group that needs volunteers

ROCK Ride on therapy for kids.

R.O.C.K. Ride On Center for Kids (http://www.rockride.org/rockateers/ - broken link)

My son took Hippotherapy there this summer.

ROCK is a nonprofit hippotherapy/therapeutic horseback riding program. ROCK helps build physical, emotional, social, and education skills for students with special needs.

To volunteer you must take a basic safety course. If you want to work directly with the horses, an additional course is required.

http://www.rockride.org/directions/

Old 08-16-2007, 10:16 PM

212 posts, read 1,076,771 times
Cool, thanks for the leads everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin