Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,196,005 times

Advertisements

Does anyone like their Home Warranty Company? Would you recommend them?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 PM

326 posts, read 766,361 times
We use American Home Shield. They are pretty good on fixing problems and pretty much on time. If you disbute about the technician they sent, they will send a different one.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:16 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,624,114 times
hope, there were a couple of threads last year on the topic. I mentioned our satisfaction with Old Republic for the first two years(decided to 'run bare' after that). Seems like Old Republic got slightly better reviews than AHS; but I don't recall any one company standing out. Based on our experience, I would go with Old Republic again.

Glad to hear you've 'landed'...hope the squirrels don't stay too long.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM

I reviewed the old threads and really no one said anything very positive. Rick-- did you do the basic plan or did you upgrade? Their basic is $375 and then it goes up for adding different items. I'm thinking the basic may be fine for me. I can't see the benefit in adding anything else. The seller is paying up to $500 so I could go up if I wanted.

My last company was a pain to use. They charged $75 a visit and used inexperienced people. I wouldn't recommend them. Home Warranty of America.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:38 PM

269 posts, read 668,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
hope, there were a couple of threads last year on the topic. I mentioned our satisfaction with Old Republic for the first two years(decided to 'run bare' after that). Seems like Old Republic got slightly better reviews than AHS; but I don't recall any one company standing out. Based on our experience, I would go with Old Republic again.

Glad to hear you've 'landed'...hope the squirrels don't stay too long.
I agree Old Republic has been good so far.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
I reviewed the old threads and really no one said anything very positive. Rick-- did you do the basic plan or did you upgrade? Their basic is $375 and then it goes up for adding different items. I'm thinking the basic may be fine for me. I can't see the benefit in adding anything else. The seller is paying up to $500 so I could go up if I wanted.

My last company was a pain to use. They charged $75 a visit and used inexperienced people. I wouldn't recommend them. Home Warranty of America.
We went with the standard plan...remember, our house was only 4 years old. Our 'service call' fee was $69, IIRC. We had one labor-intensive repair for which the $69 was cheap; another was a quick fix beyond my DIY scope.

If your basic plan covers mechanical systems, I'd say stick with that(unless you have some reason to believe there could be other problems). Again, we dropped ours after two years; so, in theory, we're ~$500 'ahead'(knock on wood), since we haven't needed anyone for over a year now.

"Ya pays yo money and ya takes yo chances" (or not). If a hundred or two will give you peace of mind, it's well worth it(for the first year, most having (theoretically) been paid by the seller). YMMV, as they say.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:43 PM

Ok, Old Republic it is. I upgraded to the Ultimate level for $475. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:47 PM

When's the move date? Happy to help if we haven't headed back to ATL and Highlands at that time.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,625,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Does anyone like their Home Warranty Company? Would you recommend them?

Thanks!
Any home warranty company functions as a middleman. They receive considerably more in fees than they pay repair contractors How else could they stay in business? That means that, on the average, they win and the homeowner loses. No thanks...I will take my chances and manage home repairs myself.

Don in Austin

Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
When's the move date? Happy to help if we haven't headed back to ATL and Highlands at that time.
Close date Sept 1st. Probably move that first weekend. My lease on my apt is up Oct 1st so there isn't any rush. I wish I could have gotten out of the 60 day notice -- they upped my rent to $2500 a month because it was month-to-month.

Maybe you can bring me a six pack of Sweetwater Blue on your way back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin