Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:50 AM

238 posts, read 365,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Go to the Thursday Night Social Bike ride at Fiesta Gardens and you will meet about 300 hipsters whose only money is from their gig at the pizza joint that would never leave Austin if they had a choice.
I couldn't agree with this statement more. I've been on this ride (and many of the other SCA events) and they are some of the greatest people I've ever met, and they LOVE Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
It seems like most of the people that love Austin or the hipsters, bohemians, and starving artists. If you call working at Magnolia Cafe financially secure, then I guess you have a point.

I am critical of Austin myself (despite the fact it's my home town). But it's for totally different reasons than you. I'm critical of Austin for its lack of a sizable African-American community, African-American cultural experiences, and the general xenophobia of Austinites towards African-Americans and African-American culture despite claiming to be so liberal (and no, a token black friend that's pretty much the same as you culturally doesn't count, lol). Most of the liberals here are more concerned with learning about Europeans and going on about how much more "progressive" they are than Americans rather than taking the time to actually get to know the black people right down the road from them.

The job market here sucks compared to SA, Houston, and Dallas, but it's a damn sight nicer than LA right now. And despite the bit of superficiality it's FAR from a wannabe LA in that manner and in cost of living.

You don't have to be rich to think Austin is great. You just have to be a "certain type" of person. I'm not that type of person (though there are certainly many worse places than Austin that you could live).

Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I am financially secure. Never claimed to be liberal. Not a hipster. And I like it here. I have lived here since the mid-1980s. I wasn't so financially secure then (in my 20s). I have my complaints about Austin, but for the things that are important to me Austin serves me well.

I really don't know what the OP reasonably expected to happen to Austin. The tech industry has been here a long time though mostly semiconductors. With a university creating so many engineers and computer science majors every year - some of them were going to stay here and work. Unlike other college towns with large universities (Columbus Ohio for example) Austin is a state capitol and that brings a blend of stability and politics you won't see in other places.

Why on earth would you say Austin is an LA-wannabe? I think Austin is more accurately described as an anti-LA. People complain about sprawl in Austin but LA may set the national standard for that. Houston is a far better analog to LA.

San Antonio is a fine city. Lots of good reasons to live there. There is less "money" in San Antonio, so the cost of living is better.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:33 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,072 times
Well, I'm an old lady and I've lived in 7 states and Germany and I've gone to 12 schools. I've lived in Calif and in Austin as well as San Antonio Texas. I've never been to a place where there weren't lots of great things to find, as well as some horrible things. People are people wherever they are. Some super nice, others not so much. Costs of livings....depends on what you do for a living and what you do while you are living, as well. Austin is a terrific town, Calif. all over...is a fantastic state. No one need "love it or leave", no one is stuck where they are and are free to move about at will. I don't see why we need to nitpick each other for our choices.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
The only think I notice is that miserable people are miserable wherever they go. And happy people are happy wherever they go. It has nothing to do with their geographic location.

Hundreds of people on this board are convinced there is some shangri-la out there, and their lives will improve 1000% once they can scrape together enough money to move there. Every place has problems, pros and cons. Your attitude determines what a place has to offer.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
The only think I notice is that miserable people are miserable wherever they go. And happy people are happy wherever they go. It has nothing to do with their geographic location.

Hundreds of people on this board are convinced there is some shangri-la out there, and their lives will improve 1000% once they can scrape together enough money to move there. Every place has problems, pros and cons. Your attitude determines what a place has to offer.
Yup.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:

Now THIS I do agree with. As critical as I am in Austin, and is much as it is lacking in most of the things I find important in a city, the simple fact is if you're unhappy with your life simply moving isn't going to solve everything overnight. You have to be at peace with yourself first and learn how to make do.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:13 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:

I know, you LOVE it when I disagree with you but I must step in and disagree here. I felt miserable in Seattle (lack of light) and I feel happy here. I know there are many other people who've had the same experience. Geography/latitude can make a huge difference for some of us. I do agree with you though that there is no such place as perfection and expectations can make a difference in how a place is perceived.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Now THIS I do agree with. As critical as I am in Austin, and is much as it is lacking in most of the things I find important in a city, the simple fact is if you're unhappy with your life simply moving isn't going to solve everything overnight. You have to be at peace with yourself first and learn how to make do.
Yes and yes (to Jaybrown's post).

Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

I am critical of Austin myself (despite the fact it's my home town). But it's for totally different reasons than you. I'm critical of Austin for its lack of a sizable African-American community, African-American cultural experiences, and the general xenophobia of Austinites towards African-Americans and African-American culture despite claiming to be so liberal...
I don't live in Austin, but have quite a bit of family in the area, so I do get down there from time to time. So what would you suggest that the city do?

It would seem that Austin lacks a sizeable AA population simply because AAs aren't moving to Austin. How is that Austin's fault?

I'm not being sarcastic...it's just an honest question for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin