Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 AM

37 posts, read 134,905 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to pick a doctor for the kids within the constraints of their insurance. Does anyone have any experience with any of these:

Carousel Pediatrics
Pediatrics of South Austin at 4007 James Casey
Austin Regional Clinic at 4315 James Casey
Austin Regional Clinic south on First Street

Other practices are covered, but figured someone might have tried these since they seen larger. Open to recs outside of these. I'm off Ben White and Burleson. Just looking for a trustworthy doctor that can see my kids in a reasonable amount of time. Also one with at least 2-3 doctors so we can get in easily and plus because my daughter prefers a female dr and my son prefers a male dr. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM

15,306 posts, read 35,787,816 times
We have been with ARC for about 5 years now (our oldest is almost 5) and we have been very happy. We use the 'southwest' location (which I consider south, but eh) at Manchaca and Slaughter. We have been using Dr. Rebecca Mouser, but often see her PA, Chris Crocker. We have been more than pleased with both of them, as well as with ARC as a whole.

The southwest location is also an after hours clinic, which is very convenient if you have little ones. They also have an after hours nurse on duty 24/7, which we used several times after we had our first one. An actual pediatric nurse would answer questions for you over the phone.

As for scheduling, well-care visits have to be scheduled about 6 weeks out, I would estimate, if you want to see your doctor. We occasionally went ahead and just went to the PA for well checks. For illness, they hold slots open, so we have often (although not always) been able to see Dr. Mouser on less than a day's notice. At the after hours clinic we have seen several other pediatricians, but the only name I remember off-hand is Dr. Sood, who seemed quite competent, as well. I can't recall every really having any issues with any of the Drs., and we spent our share of time in the after hours clinic up on Far West before they opened the southwest after hours location. Why do kids always get sick on Friday night?

Anyway, we have rarely had to wait very long when we had an appointment, but it does happen. I doubt it is any different than anywhere else. A couple of days ago I took my daughter in for a ear infection follow up to make sure it was cleared up, and due to some good luck and poor planning, arrived about 25 minutes early. After paying the co-pay and proceeding to the well-child waiting room, we were called almost immediately. When I asked them, they said two other appointments had not arrived on time and we were bumped up. I know it sucks to get bumped if you are running a few minutes late, but it has to help keep the whole place on time if they take the next patient....

Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,042,584 times
I would recommend Dr. Melissa Burnett at the ARC South location. She has a degree from Harvard and the University of Penn. School of Medicine. She's very nice, and has great experience in emergency medicine and pediatrics. The ARC Southwest location is in a strip mall storefront, is rather unremarkable and is better used as an after-hours clinic.

Not to mention I've been to ARC southwest about 4 times (during the day), and haven't seen the same doctor twice. It seems they rotate in and out too often.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:02 PM

15,306 posts, read 35,787,816 times
Quote:
Not to mention I've been to ARC southwest about 4 times (during the day), and haven't seen the same doctor twice. It seems they rotate in and out too often.
There are dozens of Drs. at the location, I wouldn't expect to get the same one unless you asked. Most of the Drs. that we deal with (I have a primary there, just rarely go , and my wife's primary is there, as well) have been with ARC for decades, and many on the same schedule for as long as we have been going.

It is a bit of an odd setup, since it is built in a remodeled grocery store, I think, but the waiting areas are relatively nice, and they have separate sick kid, well kid, and adult waiting areas and the lab area is easily accessible. The worst part of the layout is that the check in area is too near the doors, and they open and close quite a bit due to people in the check in area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin