Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 PM

19 posts, read 38,580 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to see how you adjusted....

Do you like Austin better than the Pacific Northwest? How has the weather been? What adjustments have been hard, what has been easy?

Thanks for the imput!

Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 PM

54 posts, read 182,679 times
We have been here just over one year now. I like it much better than the Pacific Northwest because I couldn't stand another year of constant rain for 10 months out of the year (with a day of sun every few weeks).

The summer alternated between muggy and dry heat, and there was always a breeze last summer. The winter had 2 arctic fronts, for a few days at a time (less than a week), of below freezing weather that got into the teens at night. I understand that this was one of the coldest winters. The temp. fluctuated in the winter and there were a few days of 60's in Dec and Jan, mixed with days of 40's. Fine by me. It's not that damp cold all winter long.

The schools (elementary and middle) made a nice transition and were so helpful. The kids here are so open and welcoming to new students.

My allergies were year round in Seattle, and are about 10 months long here, so there was a slight improvement, although that could change at any time.

There weren't any adjustments that were very hard other than missing friends and family. The things I had to adjust to are: not having a bigger Chinatown or Ranch 99 here, you can only buy hum bow at a Chinese Dim Sum Restaurant..., no Teriyaki joints (how is this possible), no Trader Joe's, and the one Whole Foods I've been to was a big disappointment compared to the Whole Foods in Bellevue, WA. (I need to go to the Whole Foods Flagship store in downtown Austin, perhaps it's fabulous!?!) . The grocery store produce is much better in Seattle and there are more grocery chains to choose from. Sounds minor, but it was an adjustment.

The traffic is actually better (but not a whole lot) than Seattle's rush hour. People are friendlier on the whole, and I've discovered Bush's Chicken! It's just a fast-food chicken restaurant, but boy is it good. I had never heard of Kolaches before, but they're good too. There are good donut places all over (better than most Seattle donuts, including Krispy Kreme), and shaved ice! MMMM. The prices of gas and food are much less, so that's been easy. Being able to swim outside without freezing is great. The scenery is just as beautiful and very green here too. You don't see Mt. Rainier, but I don't miss it. The HEB grocery store has "meal deals" where you buy the main course and they give you 4 things free with it, sometimes completing the meal. For ex: you buy the fajita seasoned chicken, they give you free tortillas, cheese, soda, and salsa.

The locals say y'all as part of their regular vocabulary, and have the lightest of accents. It's nice. I'm wondering how long it'll take me to start saying y'all on a regular basis!

The house we're buying right now new, costs about 260K. A comparable house in Issaquah, WA is over 615K. That's nice. The property tax here is not very nice though... but everything is a tradeoff.

Hope some of this helps! H and kids LOVE Texas, and we're proud to call it home!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
I did the reverse move. After 12 years in TX (10 in Austin) we relocated to Seattle 4 years ago. I miss the TexMex, BBQ and the Texas friendly. Also, the size of Austin was nice. It's manageable...at least for us going between SW Austin and Lake Travis or DT was. We actually left the allergies behind in TX. 3 of the 4 of us suffered in TX, now I only have mild allergies a few weeks out of the year.

Personally I feel like I traded one set of undesirable weather for another. Intense heat or rain...I think after years in either location, you can appreciate the difference in the other a bit more. My husband had reverse SAD. Was miserable in the heat so very grumpy 5-6 months a year.

We love sailing, hiking, skiing, boating and in general the outdoors. Seattle wins that hands down. In Austin we had pretty much hiked everything time and time again (Barton Creek Greenbelt, Enchanted Rock, Bastrop State Park, Pedernales Falls) and in Seattle we have a long list of trails we haven't even hit yet! We have had the choice to move back to Austin a few times and have decided to stay put mostly because we are in a really great school district here (Issaquah) and love the life our kids are experiencing with the nature just outside our door. Also for what my husband does, the salaries and options of big companies to work for are more plentiful so career wise it's been a better fit. He had kind of exhausted the tech start up scene in Austin and was ready for something bigger. So for us, Seattle was actually a much better financial move and that was even with the COLA. But that is really an individual situation more than anything. A financial gain in any sense can be a big incentive to go either direction.

I guess I feel like traffic is about the same in both places but Seattle has much better public transport. So even though gas is more expensive here, my husband takes the bus to work so we actually spend less.

We haven't had trouble making friends in Seattle but many people do complain about that here. Texans are just about the most welcoming people you will meet IMO.

I thought I'd miss Central Market but I'd really miss Trader Joe's if I left. There are a few restaurants I'd miss here but in general Austin is just one of the best places to eat out (good AND cheap) - the list of good eats is just endless.

Texas is in a better location for air travel. You can get to either coast in a reasonable amount of time. It's a long haul from Seattle to NYC but I guess that's the price you pay for being closer to Maui! But Seattle wins for better day trips that can be done easily. Oregon, BC, surrounding Washington area. The PNW is endlessly gorgeous. TX is pretty in it's own way but it's not the PNW. But then again, most places aren't.

I have enjoyed living in both places and feel blessed for those experiences. Throw my 4 years in Denver in the mix and I have been pretty darn spoiled in my life.

I will always have a soft spot for Texas. Both my boys are natives and I have family there. So glad I get to visit often. In fact, only 9 more days until I get my Chuys fix. Woo hoo!!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:31 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwithtwins+1 View Post
I'm curious to see how you adjusted....

Do you like Austin better than the Pacific Northwest? How has the weather been? What adjustments have been hard, what has been easy?

Thanks for the imput!

Jenn
I did the reverse, 9 years in Austin, now been in Portland for 6 months. Not missing a single thing about TX, it's just different. It's nice to be able to open windows, grow things in the yard and not sweat like crazy just going outside. Oh and utility bills that are reasonable.... Out of the sauna and into the shower.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
We moved down to Austin just about two and a half years ago and it is heaven here in Austin for us. Yes, it's hot from May through October, but we prefer the heat to the cold. Cost of living is quite a bit less and for that, life is much easier. People are much more welcoming and inclusive here so after just two years it really "feels" like home. Quirkiness is not frowned upon here. There is a much more artsy feel. Honestly, we do not miss Seattle at all. We have a few close friends we keep in touch with there but aside from them, I really don't ever feel the need to go back to Seattle even for a visit.

If you are like many Seattleites and feel someone you don't know looking you in the eye, nodding and saying "hello" is intrusive, then you aren't going like it here. If you are a big skier, you will be bummed out because it's a plane ride to ski. If you are a fresh seafood fanatic, you'll be disappointed. But if you like BBQ - it's Nirvana here! Sure, we miss Trader Joes, but they are moving into Dallas in pretty short order and by 2013 they'll be here in Austin.

Overall, our quality of life here has been exponentially better. But everyone's different and some people are going to like Seattle better and have a tough time adjusting, that just hasn't been the case for us.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
I moved here a little over three years ago and just love it. I find many things similar but I do find people more open and friendly here for some reason.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
woodinvilleguy, It's the sun!! Seattle suddenly becomes very happy on sunny days.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:07 PM

59 posts, read 218,779 times
We moved from Seattle Jan 2011. We lived in Seattle for 20 years before relocating to Austin. My husband found a new job in Austin (was actively looking for 6 months before landing a job comparable to what he had there - although salary is less in Austin) We would much rather have the heat than the cool dreary days. I would get so sick of the rainy weather by the time spring came and there were many years the nice weather didn't come and stay until well after July 4th. It was pretty to see Mt Ranier, but in realty most days it wasn't visible due to the clouds. It has been so dry in Austin this year, we are the opposite - we can't wait for it to rain.

We miss good seafood restaurants, Market Street in Mill Creek, those great book sales the Mill Creek library would have, and Trader Joes. We also have two children and 2 grandchildren still in Seattle which of course we miss and would really be the only reason to go back for a visit.

The price of homes is alot cheaper here, but the property taxes are worse. We are building a 3600 square foot home for the price we sold our 2500 sq ft house for. We do not have children in school any longer so not sure about the education system.

The traffic can be bad here but nothing like Seattle, although in Seattle my husband took the bus to work and here the public transit is not nearly as good. Still searching for a church we like, but that can take awhile no matter what city you are in.

We haven't been here very long yet, but so far we love it and do not miss the actual city of Seattle. Good luck if you are planning a move soon!

Old 05-20-2011, 03:47 PM

403 posts, read 1,120,104 times
Moved here from PDX a few months ago; not going back.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:34 AM

462 posts, read 1,009,254 times
We are looking at a move to the Austin area from Eastern New Mexico. We lived in Anchorage, AK for 16 years then PCS'd to eastern New Mexico (for 6 years). Dh has just retired and we both have family in Texas; so we're looking Austin northward for first a rental house to see if area is a fit for us... then later buy. We have lived in the Western US. for the past 30 years. We were both born in Texas but I can't help but wonder if we will fit in to the area. It will be hard to leave NM as the weather is beyond sublime but we're far away from our families. Anyone else gone through something like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin