Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:14 PM

7 posts, read 12,382 times

Advertisements

map:

My new employer is located just north and east of the intersection of 183 and 35, off of Cameron RD. Because of traffic concerns, I'd like to live relatively close to work, so I can reduce my commute time as much as possible.

About us:

I am 27 and my gf is 26. I will be the only one employed at first, so that will influence our decision somewhat. I would prefer to keep the cost of rent under 1400, if possible. We have a 7lb dog and a cat.

We would be looking for a place with relatively low crime and no carpet in the living areas. We would prefer a house, but a duplex would suffice as well. Apartments tend to be heavily carpeted, so that wouldn't work for us unfortunately.

I will be starting work in 3 weeks, and won't have to find a place to live until June, for what it's worth.

Any ideas? I'm really worried about the traffic, so I'm not too sure where to look in that area :/ We were initially looking to live in South Austin so that we would be able to walk and bike around to local bars and restaraunts, but it looks like that won't be possible because of traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 11:52 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,949 times
What do you consider a bad commute? You could live somewhere up 183 close to the Arboretum since the traffic on 183 between Mopac and 35 is very minimal (it gets worse as you go further north on 183 in the evening rush hour, but still not terribly bad).

I wouldn't think the commute from the Mueller area would be that bad (<30 min), but I've always lived in west/central Austin and avoid 35 at all costs.

You'll definitely have to stay north of the river to avoid a >45min commute.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
What do you consider a bad commute?
I'd like to keep it at or under a half hour, if possible. Being within 5 miles is a plus

Old 04-04-2011, 12:05 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Your job is in a rough area. In general street names like Rundberg, Cameron Rd = bad part of town. You will not want to live close to these streets, but there are many options that should be like a 10 min commute.

I'd personally suggest Allandale or Crestview. They are safe, central, and you could take regular roads to your job -- I'm thinking 2222/Allandale/Koenig/290(all the same road, just different names for a 2 mile stretch!) to Cameron Rd. You'd never need to get onto I35 or Mopac. Alternately, if you wanted to go even nicer, you could live in Rosedale/Triangle or Hyde Park. If you wanted to go a little funkier, maybe go for the North Loop area (just north of Hyde Park). But don't live any farther north in that direction.

$1400 is a lot of money for rent in Austin. You can get into any neighborhood at that price, even downtown (although it will be a small apartment).

Edit: Judging by your handle -- if you like cycling, probably the best neighborhoods would be Allandale or Hyde Park. Hyde Park is more of an urban environment where you can use the bike as transportation; Allandale is suburban, but close to lots of Austin cycling routes (like Shoal Creek Blvd). You can also cross over to the west side of Mopac from Allandale and ride on lots of challenging hills.

Last edited by atxcio; 04-04-2011 at 12:15 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 AM

Thanks! That's a lot of good information. We are coming from Ohio. We have visited Austin before, but we are not completely familiar with all of the northern areas yet. The company will be paying for all relocation in June, and I will be staying in an extended stay until then. That should give me enough time to check out houses in all of the areas you have mentioned.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 AM

156 posts, read 331,183 times
I'd look into the complex at Crestview Station or duplex or single family homes in Brentwood and Crestview. That apartment complex offers units with stained concrete floors on the first floor.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:22 AM

156 posts, read 331,183 times
The complex is called Midtown Commons: Home
They have a dog park, is located right on the Red Line, and a community owned brew pub on site.
We looked at this complex and seriously considered it last year, but ended up renting a single family home in Crestview that offered a more flexible lease. We love this area, ended up buying a house in the neighborhood last December.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 AM

847 posts, read 766,574 times
as previously note by others you probabley could live in arboretum area very easily for 1400 box a month.

I would suggest that you opt to rent an apartment in your first six month untill you develope a sense for house later on yourself.

virtually all the apartmentents you find jollyville RD (it is really a wide street.)

will be pretty nice and you will commute in about 20-25 minutes (depending on traffic to your destination).

you could live off of mopac as far north as duval (there is nice apartment on corner of duval and mopac)

you could live as far south as steck or farwest.

all of these will be within 25 minutes.

if you are willing to dirve 10 more minutes just south of 620 on 183 there plenty of relatively safe affordable neighborhoods to rent in.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
The only problem with the Arboretum (well, besides being farther out) is that the OP be forced to take highways (183) to work. Would be fast on non-rush hour times, but not so good during rush hour.

But I still think Allandale or Crestview would be best & closest.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:20 PM

847 posts, read 766,574 times
atxcio how much is medium 90 ft two bedroom apartment in that area? (let's say non gated)

I really consider anything under 30 minutes (rush hour) of commute pretty reasonable in austin area.

mine is about an hour in rush hour (mopac&360) to 183/183

you might consider to rent an an apartment on east parmer lane (that area has TX dot and dell in it) and is pretty nice.

I think you will manage to get down to camreon road in 25 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: