Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:47 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,781,033 times

Advertisements

I think you are getting pretty good advice on this thread, but would add the east-side neighborhoods south of Mueller- you can get a small, older house (1940s) for under $1400 a month in French Place or a duplex in Cherrywood - hardwoods, bit of a yard for the dog and definitely bikeable, parts walkable and 15-20 minutes drive up Cameron road to work with something of a reverse-commute. Might also be able to take the 485 bus. All Austin highways are unpleasant during rush-hour, I would try to avoid them. Search zip code 78722. Crestview, Allandale, and particularly North Loop are also great Austin neighborhoods. Arboretum rentals are 90% mega-apartment complexes of the wall to wall carpet type. Would be very difficult to find a small house or duplex there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 PM

7 posts, read 12,466 times
Thanks for all of the great info, everyone. Since i'll be staying in an extended stay for a few months, it will really help to take the edge off of the relocation process. I'm thinking that that should be plenty of time to find the perfect place.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:19 PM

629 posts, read 1,657,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The only problem with the Arboretum (well, besides being farther out) is that the OP be forced to take highways (183) to work. Would be fast on non-rush hour times, but not so good during rush hour.

But I still think Allandale or Crestview would be best & closest.
183 isn't bad until you get past 360 going north.

I suppose it will largely depend on the OP's preferences other than the commute, since he will be able to find a lot within his price range. I'd imagine the condo/duplex rentals will be larger and maybe nicer in the Northwest Hills / Great Hills neighborhoods than Allendale or Crestview. Plus I'm partial to the hills and parks of west Austin.

And I dispute the idea that surface roads are faster than highways during rush hour. I've tried taking all sorts of "short cuts" in my futile attempts to not be late to meetings around town and I usually end up spending just as much - if not more - time sitting at stoplights. But maybe the NE Austin area is different since it's mostly business and industrial parks.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:53 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,756,736 times
The Gracy Farms area offers the most bang for your buck in that part of town.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM

Apparently my future employer will be assisting w/ my rental search as well. Totally stoked. Thanks to this thread, I should be able to just namedrop a few areas and go from there.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,800,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_cycling View Post
Thanks for all of the great info, everyone. Since i'll be staying in an extended stay for a few months, it will really help to take the edge off of the relocation process. I'm thinking that that should be plenty of time to find the perfect place.
cycle dude....you got a lot of good advice, because you GAVE alot of good background info in your first post.

Welcome to Austin & good luck on your search.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM

Update!

Our realtor is out taking photos of a few places that we liked from her initial search. I used the rec's from this thread and narrowed the search to Hyde Park, Crestview, Allandale, Rosedale, North Loop, etc. We found a great number of rental houses around the 'Highland', 'Brentwood', and 'Crestview' areas.

Above is a map showing the location of a few of the places she is looking at today. Can you guys tell me a little bit about the specific areas on the map? I'm mainly curious about crime, proximity to young people, things to do within walking/ciycling distance, etc.

The homes themselves look great! Nice yards, hardwood floors, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. You guys have been great so far

Last edited by happy_cycling; 04-13-2011 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: