Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 01:19 PM

40 posts, read 155,114 times

Advertisements

Hey, just moved here from upstate NY, and looking to take my son to lake Travis on saturday. What are some good area's on Lake Travis that are good spots to go? are there water moccasins in Lake Travis? anything I should be worried about going there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:02 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
I'm not aware of "free" areas on Travis, but here is the website to check it out:

Lake Travis Recreation

$10 ain't so bad for a day of messing around out there.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Water moccassins are rare. Not to worry.

On that nice link above I suggest you focus on the county parks or the LCRA parks.

The surface temperature is still pretty cool (~65 deg F) if you plan to get in the water. The water is clear and the fishing is improving rapidly.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:08 PM

554 posts, read 1,745,782 times
I saw your other thread about cedar park. Your kid would probably like Brushy Creek Lake Park City of Cedar Park - Brushy Creek Lake Park (http://www.ci.cedar-park.tx.us/cp/pr_bclp.aspx - broken link)

No swimming but they have a waterscape and playground, you can fish or rent a canoe, they also have a nice bike trail

Laek Travis is probably a little cold right now for swimming.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Lake Travis is usually warm enough to swim in by late April. There are water moccasins in Lake Travis but you rarely see one in the day time unless you are near a weedy area at the back of some narrow coves. I occasionally saw some at night around marinas, the lights attracted bugs and fish which attracts the snakes. I have had a sailboat on Lake Travis most of my 33 years in Austin and never heard of anyone being bit by a water moccasin. We often swam at night in the marinas, floating on a tube while drinking beer and chatting.

Here is a map of the public parks http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks...les/county.pdf
I think they all cost $10 for a day permit. Coming from Cedar Park I would recommend you go to Arkansas Bend Park, its my favorite and since its on the north side of the lake it is usually less crowded. Arkansas Bend Park, Travis County, Texas

I don't think there are many free areas left. I think I heard that Lakeway Park is free but I'm not certain of that. City of Lakeway, TX - Official Website - City Park

Old 03-31-2011, 06:37 PM

535 posts, read 1,294,675 times
I second Arkansas Bend Park 100%!! Last Summer we went and took our 9 yo there on a suggestion off the forum...I think CapnRn. This place was excellent if you don't like crowds. The water is shallow enough for little ones but yet progressively gets deeper the farther out you go. There is also a small island that you can walk across to and swim off of. We even walked along the shoreline a good way and explored the area.

There are picnic areas and grills if you want to day camp there (or night camp if you feel so inclined)

We went during the week and didn't have to pay any fees.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Go to Jones Brothers park in Jonestown (just up 1431 about 10 mins) its along the shores of LT. Its got playscape,basketball etc, free also boat launch is 10bucks

Old 03-31-2011, 06:50 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I don't think there are many free areas left. I think I heard that Lakeway Park is free but I'm not certain of that. City of Lakeway, TX - Official Website - City Park
Last time I went to Lakeway Park it was free for residents and $5 for non-residents. That was a couple of years ago - not sure if that's still the case.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:33 PM

34 posts, read 66,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Go to Jones Brothers park in Jonestown (just up 1431 about 10 mins) its along the shores of LT. Its got playscape,basketball etc, free also boat launch is 10bucks
I agree with Neddy here, we often use this parks with our kids its free unless you launch a water craft & recently a canoe type rental facility opend there also.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
One of my biggest complaints about Lake Travis is the lack of free parks. It's like one of the main attractions in Austin, but unless you own a boat or fork over $10, then you can't access the lake. That being said, I used to get the season pass when it was $75 as you would make it up with going 8 times which I would usually do in a year. When they upped it to $100 then I stopped getting it.

I just returned from Pace Bend Park and the water was a little too cool for me to go swimming in. The kids went in fine, but it was also very breezy so as soon as you step out of the water you're a bit chilly.

There are a couple of free parks on Lake Austin however. There's a free park at the end of Quinlan Park Road with a very small beach area that is free. There is another park called Selma Hughes that is free, but there is no beach or swimming access. There are a few picnic tables however. Other than that, you'd need to fork over $8 for Emma Long Metropolitan Park which to me is a bit too expensive for what you get.

The LCRA Bob Wentz Park at Windy Point (not to be confused with the private Windy Point Park) is very well maintained and has a great shoreline, great restroom facilities, and plenty of shade pavilions as well as shade trees. There's a sometimes island that has reappeared - it was underwater last year and it's a good place to swim out to and explore. Also, the view from the point is extraordinary. I would recommend you take your son there for your first time on Lake Travis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin