Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:48 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times

Advertisements

Seems close enough to Austin but seems to be a lot of posts that the place is way out there? Anyone care to clarify? Any other neighborhoods closer to Austin that are as populated with tons of kids and has great schools?

How bad is it living in the perfect community/HOA etc? Anyone buy there and hate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:39 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,942 times
Where are you going to work? Circle C in SW Austin is a great area with great schools and tons of kids. Steiner isn't too far from the city but it takes a long time to get out of the subdivision. I find it isolated because there isn't a whole lot around it. You typically have to drive to Cedar Park or Lakeway. SW Austin is growing by leaps and bounds. You should check it out. Steiner is way more suburban to me than Circle C or SW Austin.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,033 times
Isn't a lot around it? Have you been up here lately? There is development going on left and right. We feel a lot of things out here at Steiner, but isolated isn't one of them.

We bought here and LOVE it. Most everyone we meet and talk to loves it, too. The only haters I ever meet are on this board and don't live here.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Steiner is great, 5 minutes to both Lake Travis and Lake Austin, great schools, excellent parks, and wonderful nature trails. The shopping essentials (groceries, restaurants, Target, Home Depot, etc...) are all close by.

My only advice is to live closer to the entrance. Oddly enough, the furthest back sections are closer to Austin as the crow flies, but because of the configuration you have to go west to exit Steiner, only to go back East on 2222 so they take considerably longer to get to.

I wish they would link up Steiner to Riverplace kind of how they linked RP to City Park Rd. Maybe one day...

Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 AM

172 posts, read 410,165 times
We had originally considered Steiner -it's close to where we live now by river place/2222. It is a really nice area, but the reason we decided against it was the commute. Traffic on 2222 is a nightmare and even worse when it rains. I know it's not THAT often, but 2222 @ 360 has been shut down 3 time since I moved here due to flooding which will result in a 2 hour commute.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
We love it here. I am actually a shorter drive to everything now than I was when I lived in Northwest Hills. THere is an HEB, Target, Walmart, Home Depot, banks, Walgreens, etc. within 2-3 miles. Actually IN Steiner (and walking distance from me) are 3 restaurants, a small market (soon to be a Randalls), ice cream place, coffee shop, donut shop, cleaners, nail salons, liquor store, and more.

THey are also building a Randalls shopping center at the entrance to Steiner. Included will be 2 more restaurants and other businesses.

THey are also building a huge shopping center about 3 miles down the road (next to the aforementioned Home Depot) that will include a movie theater and Central Market.

We do live closer to the entrance not only for the ease of getting in and out, nut also because the older homes tend to have larger lots.

Circle C is nice, but traffic there is pretty bad too. Also, I think Steiner Schools are still better. Every single one of them is rated Exemplary. NONE of AISD high schools can manage to muster that designation, including the one Circle C is zoned to.

And the bridge they are halfway through constructing will solve the flooding issue at 2222 and 360.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:11 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
FYI: LASA is an exemplary high school in AISD. The rankings pretty much reflect the socio-economic background of the students, let's check back in 20 years.

Master-planned communities give me anxiety attacks.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:42 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
FYI: LASA is an exemplary high school in AISD. The rankings pretty much reflect the socio-economic background of the students, let's check back in 20 years.

Master-planned communities give me anxiety attacks.
LASA is a magnet school and therefore can pick and choose the students it admits. Therefore is differs from every other public high school school in AISD, LISD, and the other surrounding school districts. It is more like a private school than a public school.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
Isn't a lot around it? Have you been up here lately? There is development going on left and right. We feel a lot of things out here at Steiner, but isolated isn't one of them.

We bought here and LOVE it. Most everyone we meet and talk to loves it, too. The only haters I ever meet are on this board and don't live here.
Not a hater just stating my opinion. Why must you assume I am a hater. I was offering up another viable option for the OP.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
We love it here. I am actually a shorter drive to everything now than I was when I lived in Northwest Hills. THere is an HEB, Target, Walmart, Home Depot, banks, Walgreens, etc. within 2-3 miles. Actually IN Steiner (and walking distance from me) are 3 restaurants, a small market (soon to be a Randalls), ice cream place, coffee shop, donut shop, cleaners, nail salons, liquor store, and more.

THey are also building a Randalls shopping center at the entrance to Steiner. Included will be 2 more restaurants and other businesses.

THey are also building a huge shopping center about 3 miles down the road (next to the aforementioned Home Depot) that will include a movie theater and Central Market.

We do live closer to the entrance not only for the ease of getting in and out, nut also because the older homes tend to have larger lots.

Circle C is nice, but traffic there is pretty bad too. Also, I think Steiner Schools are still better. Every single one of them is rated Exemplary. NONE of AISD high schools can manage to muster that designation, including the one Circle C is zoned to.

And the bridge they are halfway through constructing will solve the flooding issue at 2222 and 360.
Traffic is not bad in Circle C, nothing like 2222. I would not agree that the schools are better in Steiner they are about the same. If you want to feel like you live in Austin, SW Austin is a better choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin