Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoquiz3000 View Post
I always say "Kay-nig" but I've heard "Ko-nig" lots as well. Plus the fact that you can never make a turn and the road name will be US 290 E, then Koenig, then Allandale, then Northland, then Bull Creek Rd, then 2222... welcome to Austin!
You got to this one before me! Koenig Ln never seemed to have any standard pronunciation in my experience. I would have thought it should be pronounced "Kee-nig", but I most often heard "Ko-nig". I agree that I sometimes used to hear "Kay-nig" as well.

"Man-shack" always bothered me particularly. The spelling of the little town itself is correct, while the road is not.

Arroyo Seco -- there used to be at least one street sign that had it incorrectly rendered as "Arroyo Seca".

I know it's not a pronunciation issue, but I always hated it that it was West Gate Blvd on some street signs and Westgate Blvd on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
You got to this one before me! Koenig Ln never seemed to have any standard pronunciation in my experience. I would have thought it should be pronounced "Kee-nig", but I most often heard "Ko-nig". I agree that I sometimes used to hear "Kay-nig" as well.

"Man-shack" always bothered me particularly. The spelling of the little town itself is correct, while the road is not.

Arroyo Seco -- there used to be at least one street sign that had it incorrectly rendered as "Arroyo Seca".

I know it's not a pronunciation issue, but I always hated it that it was West Gate Blvd on some street signs and Westgate Blvd on others.
Not so. The man's name was spelled Menchaca (Jose Antonio Menchaca). The town, and the street, and the springs that the town is named after (which were, themselves, named after the man) are spelled Manchaca. The elementary school is spelled Menchaca. Two early post offices in the community carried the name of Manchac with no final a. (Confused yet?) The street is commonly called Man-shack. I used to work at a stables in Manchaca, and would give directions, and inevitably had phone calls from folks who were new to town calling because they couldn't find Manshack road, and they were equally inevitably calling (in the days pre-cell phone) from a phone booth on Manchaca Road.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:21 AM

109 posts, read 232,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Gruene = Green (no ee at the end)
It's more like gr-oon. It's German for green, but not pronounced like green.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:58 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclemeat View Post
It's more like gr-oon. It's German for green, but not pronounced like green.
You mean like "grew-wn" .

I go tubing there every year! Can't wait 'til next time!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:11 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,366 times
I've always heard it pronounced "Green"

Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This is a new one on me. Of course, I've only been here 40 years. I suspect there's some leg-pulling going on here.
Thought I'd get in on the action...

Old 02-06-2011, 05:39 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not so. The man's name was spelled Menchaca (Jose Antonio Menchaca). The town, and the street, and the springs that the town is named after (which were, themselves, named after the man) are spelled Manchaca. The elementary school is spelled Menchaca. Two early post offices in the community carried the name of Manchac with no final a. (Confused yet?) The street is commonly called Man-shack. I used to work at a stables in Manchaca, and would give directions, and inevitably had phone calls from folks who were new to town calling because they couldn't find Manshack road, and they were equally inevitably calling (in the days pre-cell phone) from a phone booth on Manchaca Road.

OK, I do know for sure, as you say, that the elementary school is Menchaca. I was thinking the post office and the town were spelled likewise, but I may be wrong. I was aware that the school reflected the correct spelling of the surname. We used to live out that way and would go out to Marbridge Farms all the time to get plants; it's also where I used to vote out there (in the chapel, which was also the site for the precinct convention). I'm trying to think now if the Methodist and Baptist churches use the correct spelling of Menchaca. It would be easy enough to check on-line, of course.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:16 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
I've always heard it pronounced "Green"
"

Me too. My Great Uncle lived his whole life in Kerrville and always told us it was pronounced "Green", so that's all I know and how I pronounce it.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:02 PM

109 posts, read 232,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
You mean like "grew-wn" .

I go tubing there every year! Can't wait 'til next time!
Yeah, that's it. I know how to say it, but don't know how to type it. :-D

Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
OK.

Bal-COH-nehs, certainly not BAL-coh-neez
KAY-nig (KOH-nig is said by those who don't live or work in the area)
MAN-chak not MAN-shack
SLAUH-ter Lane (SLAF-ter has never been said by anyone)
Perd-NAL-ehs
MYOU-ler, not MIL-er
MAY-nur
GWA-da-loop not GWAD-ah-loop, you Yankees
Green, not GREW-in nor Groin
LUH-mar, as in North LUH-mar Blvd.
San MAR-cuhs
Bull-VULR-dee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin