Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 AM

662 posts, read 1,452,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I would be interested to see the stats on this. Im skeptical that on average there is significant improvement. Here is an article on the subject. Im not saying some students who are atrocious test takers couldn't get dramatic improvement by learning how to remain calm during the test, but on average smart or dumb students arent going to see much improvement.

SAT Coaching Found to Boost Scores -- Barely - WSJ.com

I got a 1210 the first time I took it (80's) which was good enough for me to get into my target school. My dad said that it didnt really matter what I got if I took it again since the 1210 was good enough and I got a 1390 the second time just because I didnt have all the pressure. Part of what the training classes are good for is so the kids know what to expect so they are a lot calmer.

I can only tell you what happened at the SAT prep school where I taught. There was a huge improvement. No doubt being calmer helps, but we taught very specific strategies and focused on vocabulary acquistion as well. The verbal SAT is all about vocabulary knowledge. The SAT from the 80's is very different from today's by the way. Using the strategies we taught, cut my test taking time in half. Unlike the ACT, the SAT punishes students for incorrect vs. skipped test questions. We also taught a very specific skipping strategy which improves scores--especially average to lower scores. Once students get near the national merit finalist scores they can't skip anything. Our school regularly had 10-20 National Merit Finalists who had taken our SAT prep course. What does that say about the SAT? It says that it doesn't measure raw talent, if people can improve their scores in this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin