Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:12 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times

Advertisements

There's always a handful of a-hole drunks who will cause a problem like that....anywhere.

A good friend got pummeled by a gang of thugs on a street while visiting Australia, but I'm not condemning the place.

Folks just need to be careful & avoid said a-hole types....but areas with a lot of alcohol consumption like downtown Austin will heighten the chances of incidents like that.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
I just realized a very weird trend on Austin City Data (and it may be all over the net, not just here, unfortunately): If someone has the nerve to suggest that it would be great to have a Trader Joe's in Austin, or wants to know if Texas is a Southern state, or says something about driving fast/slow in the left lane, posters will take passionate (and often insulting) stances that go on for page after page after page. But point out what is a gay-bashing incident, and it basically elicits some responses of "Oh well, it happens. The victim is also to blame. It's not that big a deal." That's just amazing to me.
I guess the common theme is that not everyone is going to like you or what you like. Violence is never OK, be it Trader Joes, mass transit, or being gay.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn
There were 162 aggravated assaults in downtown Austin in 2009. If you engage in yelling matches in the street with strangers at 1:30 AM chances are good that you are going to be involved in one of those 162 assaults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Hey, and if you're a woman and wear sexy attire at 1:30 AM, I guess you should expect what's coming to you, too.

This is one of the most heinous post comments I've ever seen on City-Data.
If that is true then you haven't read much.

It is a fact that certain kinds of behavior are almost guaranteed to get you into trouble. If you behave badly, odds are you will end up in an altercation.

Anyone who has any "street smarts" knows this. There is lots of crime downtown, especially in the late night / early morning hours. If you are going to go hang out there you should be prepared to deal with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Another gay bashing incident? What the heck?-cbd-crime.jpg  

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-02-2011 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moekazi View Post
I think that guy would have gotten beat up in any city. Instead of trying to diffuse the situation, he helped escalate it. What's absurd is that he (and some forum members) is surprised by the result

By his statements, he seems to have a hero complex. Bar heroes end up in the hospital... in any town.
You completely missed the point! A hero complex? Five on one? Gimme a break! So he should just do nothing? Can't you see when people have had enough? The police did nothing and people in TX are fed up! In San Antonio, there's cops all over the place on foot near the gay bars. I've never witnessed such an incident in five years here. I hope I never have to!

The problem today is that everybody is always afraid of getting arrested. Speak up? Get arrested. Defend yourself? Get arrested. Do the right think to try to help someone, and get caught in the middle? Get arrested. That's problably why everyone stood around doing nothing. Pathetic.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moekazi
I think that guy would have gotten beat up in any city. Instead of trying to diffuse the situation, he helped escalate it. What's absurd is that he (and some forum members) is surprised by the result

By his statements, he seems to have a hero complex. Bar heroes end up in the hospital... in any town.
Exactly!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
You completely missed the point! A hero complex? Five on one? Gimme a break! So he should just do nothing? Can't you see when people have had enough? The police did nothing and people in TX are fed up! In San Antonio, there's cops all over the place on foot near the gay bars. I've never witnessed such an incident in five years here. I hope I never have to!

The problem today is that everybody is always afraid of getting arrested. Speak up? Get arrested. Defend yourself? Get arrested. Do the right think to try to help someone, and get caught in the middle? Get arrested. That's problably why everyone stood around doing nothing. Pathetic.
Quote:
"Can't you see when people have had enough?" & "people in TX are fed up!"
Apparently the people who stood by and watched this were not "fed up" and didn't think it was worth intervening in.

Quote:
"The police did nothing"
What could they do, they have a complaint of a crime they have to investigate. They can't go off, sirens blaring into the night, chasing unknown and unidentified criminals, in an unidentified car, with an unknown license plate without first getting a clear description of all of that, and verifying that a crime actually took place, who the victim is, what is the complaint, who if any are the witnesses, etc, etc.

Quote:
"The problem today is that everybody is always afraid of getting arrested. Speak up? Get arrested. Defend yourself? Get arrested. Do the right think to try to help someone, and get caught in the middle? Get arrested. "
If the by-standers were worried about anything it was probably about getting stabbed or shot rather then worrying about getting arrested. Or perhaps they felt the "victim" was behaving foolishly and they had no desire to join him in his behavior.

Should they have risked their well being to rescue someone who escalated the situation into an altercation?

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-02-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 05:43 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It is a fact that certain kinds of behavior are almost guaranteed to get you into trouble. If you behave badly, odds are you will end up in an altercation.
Your implication here is that the victim "behaved badly" by having the sheer audacity to...what? Shoot the instigator? Ur, no. Stab him? Nope. OMG...he yelled back.

So I guess those uppity n-----s should hold their tongue too when a white boy and his four buddies calls him out, eh?

This line of reasoning you seem to be espousing is pathetic.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Cptn Rn:
That would be the problem. Not enough people are fed up with gay bashers.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:01 AM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times
To be honest, I had not read the entire script of the argument before posting the links. What caught my attention was the location - that block has several gay bars. If someone isn't partial to the crowd, there isn't much reason to be in that area except to start trouble.

Imagine if someone drove up to a honky tonk bar and called the patrons rednecks, drove past a hip-hop or Latino bar yelling racial slurs, strolled into any bar and insulted someone's girlfriend, etc. That would probably start an incident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
the reality is people that are bullies wait for the opportunity. The wise thing to do is to get the license plate number. Once you engage them, (as the guys did) all bets were off.
It would have been a good idea for these guys to return to the bar and wait it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
The problem today is that everybody is always afraid of getting arrested.
True, though on several occasions I have seen fights which were broken up by participants' friends, bystanders, or bouncers.

Quote:
(Article) "When they hugged each other goodbye on the sidewalk, some men in a passing vehicle yelled..."
Gosh, the entire city must be on the brink of debauchery. Just the other night I saw two guys exchange a brief hug outside of a punk bar. They must have had enough alcohol to forget about their girlfriends nearby. Oh the humanity

Last edited by nomore07; 01-03-2011 at 03:58 AM..

Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Your implication here is that the victim "behaved badly" by having the sheer audacity to...what? Shoot the instigator? Ur, no. Stab him? Nope. OMG...he yelled back.

So I guess those uppity n-----s should hold their tongue too when a white boy and his four buddies calls him out, eh?

This line of reasoning you seem to be espousing is pathetic.
That is how almost every physical altercation starts, with yelling and shouting. He escalated the situation by yelling and swearing back instead of trying to disarm it. Not smart especially when you are out numbered. If anything was pathetic it was his behavior. He endangered not only himself but is friend who was with him.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That is how almost every physical altercation starts, with yelling and shouting. He escalated the situation by yelling and swearing back instead of trying to disarm it. Not smart especially when you are out numbered. If anything was pathetic it was his behavior. He endangered not only himself but is friend who was with him.
I see exactly one "swear word" in the guy's yelling back. You're amazing. I guess in your world, bullies rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin