Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:00 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,619 times

Advertisements

We will be in Austin tuesday 12/21/10 - 12/23/10. It is a business and pleasure trip. Just wanted to take the wife and kids looking at neighborhoods with great Christmas light displays. Do yall Austinites have any suggestions? Thanks in advance, AmberAzeneth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 05:04 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,690,009 times
I live a bit Northeast of Austin and most people around here are looking at the Forest Creek lights, but if you look at the kxan news website, they have a map posted listing all the best displays around town.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:45 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,417 times
Go to W. 37th Street, off Guadalupe St (on the east side of the street). The whole street puts on a GINORMOUS Christmas light display. It's so popular, at night people wait to drive through the narrow street as well as park and walk on foot. In recent years, nearby neighbors have expanded the showcase displays past Horne Ln (the alley) and down to W. 35th St toward Speedway.

Go and have fun!

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 12-18-2010 at 06:04 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 07:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,875,751 times
If you haven't done it before, stop at Zilker park and go see the tree. There are vendors underneath, and you can get a nice view of downtown in the background. Some of the DT condo towers are lit up red & green. Congress Ave itself is also lit up with some lights above the street, I think.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,862 times
We went to 37th st. for the first time tonight and I have to be honest and say it was a big disapointment. Yes lots of lights, but nothing special other than lots of lights thrown all over the place. We then drove over to the big homes off of Windsor and 24th and we did see some really beautifully lighted homes there. The one in Zilker Park is also fun.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:49 AM

355 posts, read 923,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
We went to 37th st. for the first time tonight and I have to be honest and say it was a big disapointment. Yes lots of lights, but nothing special other than lots of lights thrown all over the place. We then drove over to the big homes off of Windsor and 24th and we did see some really beautifully lighted homes there. The one in Zilker Park is also fun.
Totally agree. My DH took me and my kids last year. It was a dud. I felt bad because he kept telling us (and apologizing) about how wonderful it had been years before.

I get the impression that a once older, residential neighborhood has gone UT rental.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,169 times
37th Street lights haven't been good for the past few years, but before that they were awesome!! People need to quit telling others to go there if they haven't been recently. Things don't magically stay the same year after year.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Totally agree. My DH took me and my kids last year. It was a dud. I felt bad because he kept telling us (and apologizing) about how wonderful it had been years before.

I get the impression that a once older, residential neighborhood has gone UT rental.
Oh thank goodness, I thought it was just me since it was wall to wall cars and people walking on the sidewalk. I did see several homes there with lease signs out in front and I did think it looked like a place a lot of students now live.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
It's always been a university-oriented neighborhood, but the houses were actually lived in by owners for the most part. There's been a fair amount of turnover in recent years, and I remember one of the new owners saying, "Give us a couple/three years to get up to speed!" I personally think the lighting displays and written instructions on how to set them up should have conveyed with the houses!

That being said, it's not cheap to run that many lights that long. The economy may have more to do with it than anything - one house took donations for all the houses, but don't know if they're still there (they were the one where you HAD to walk because there was a tour all the way round the house through their back yard).

Old 12-19-2010, 03:43 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,219 times
Rigsbee Court in Circle C. It's walkable throughout two yards and fun for the kids. They do a really good job, and it's a must in SW Austin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin