Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:31 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,215,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Do you honestly think that anyone in the Austin area would even look at a Chevy Volt on the showroom lot if it's parked next to a Tahoe or Silverado? Or a Ford Focus parked next to an F-150 or Expedition?. The people of Austin don't give a damn about fuel efficiency--does no one understand this?? If you don't, just spend some time "searching for a car" on austin roadways.
You keep repeating this mantra of yours. So Austin's ranking as one of the top cities for Prius sales is fiction? Or that the companies choosing to target Austin for electric cars is just stupid? Did they choose Austin because they want to fail? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,683,572 times
This is an interesting site, if you want loads of misc. hybrid data: New Hybrid Reviews, News & Hybrid Mileage (MPG) Info | Hybrid Cars

Per household, Austin is ranked number 12 in metro areas, and around double the national metro area average. Of course, that included all hybrids, which can be big or small.
December 2009 Dashboard: Year-End Tally | Hybrid Cars

Old 11-17-2010, 12:44 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,792,973 times
The Volt is a totally different car from the Leaf. The Leaf is all-electric with a 100 mile range. The Volt has a 40 mile range AND a " backup"- 1.4 liter gas engine. So yes- it does in fact use oil and could "leak all over the place".

The Volt is perhaps the most disruptive vehicle to hit the showroom. But as of now, it seems that the majority of people out there know very little about the car and think its an all-electric car... which it is not.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,120,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Do you honestly think that anyone in the Austin area would even look at a Chevy Volt on the showroom lot if it's parked next to a Tahoe or Silverado? Or a Ford Focus parked next to an F-150 or Expedition?. The people of Austin don't give a damn about fuel efficiency--does no one understand this?? If you don't, just spend some time "searching for a car" on austin roadways.
Dear Eepstein,

I continue to grow concerned about you, your posts get more and more extreme every day. Perhaps you should talk to someone about this obsession.

Obviously Austin was picked for this debut because marketing studies show this product would do very well here.

Please, go see someone before it is too late. psychiatric referals austin tx - Google Search

Sincerely, Ron

Old 11-17-2010, 01:02 PM

732 posts, read 2,127,969 times
I enjoy eepsteins posts. I will check a thread I would not otherwise have read if I see he posted. I don't think he needs psychiatric help...at least not for his posts. They simply give his opinion and sometimes have some exaggeration mixed in.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,120,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
Actually, I heard a story about the Leaf the other day on NPR and they said the batteries are no longer powerful enough when they diminish to 70% of their original capacity but there are other uses for them such as collecting and storing the power from solar panels. Thought that was pretty cool. DH is dying to get a Jeep when we move to Austin, but I'd love for him to get a Leaf instead. We'll see.
Sorry this is a little off topic, but I thought it important to comment.

I grew up in Wyoming where there were lots of places to 4WD, but that is not true here. There are very few places around Austin where you need or can use a jeep. Most land where you might be able to 4WD is privately owned and not available. You could drive 4 hours to the North end of South Padre Island and do some 4WD along the beaches there, but that is about it any closer to Austin. On top of that the corrosive salt water and sand would be just about the worst thing you could to to your Jeep, to drive in it.

Jeep's generally get lousy gas mileage and require a lot of maintenance with all the extra moving parts. So I don't see them as very practical here.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,745,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
The Volt is a totally different car from the Leaf. The Leaf is all-electric with a 100 mile range. The Volt has a 40 mile range AND a " backup"- 1.4 liter gas engine. So yes- it does in fact use oil and could "leak all over the place".

The Volt is perhaps the most disruptive vehicle to hit the showroom. But as of now, it seems that the majority of people out there know very little about the car and think its an all-electric car... which it is not.
Hence my use of * and (). The Leaf and Focus won't have that issue as the only fluids that will need to be changed are the coolant, brake and windshield washer fluid. Still the idea of never having to go to an oil change place again and rarely ever going anyplace beside home for a "fill-up" is intriguing. A generation from now we might have to decide what to do with all of the old abandoned gas stations and quickie oil change places.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:52 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,792,973 times
Just in my opinion the Volt is a better choice given that throughout the week, most people seldom drive more than 40 miles per day. Yet you can also drive this car across country no problem. As such that eliminates "range anxiety". A lot of companies are going ahead with installing charging stations in their parking lots- mine included. Thus the Volt would probably fufill the promise of all-electric driving if the owner was persistent about charging. As far as changing oil and stuff like that, its never been that big a deal to me. I've always done it myself, it takes me less than 10 minutes and I save the old stuff and take it to a recycling place. My truck is 15 years old and our other car is 10. Take care of any vehicle and they'll last a very long time.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,215,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Hence my use of * and (). The Leaf and Focus won't have that issue as the only fluids that will need to be changed are the coolant, brake and windshield washer fluid. Still the idea of never having to go to an oil change place again and rarely ever going anyplace beside home for a "fill-up" is intriguing. A generation from now we might have to decide what to do with all of the old abandoned gas stations and quickie oil change places.
Gas stations = refueling location

Fuel could be gasoline, electricity, hydrogen, etc. Any mass market shift of the fuel used to power vehicles requires infrastructure. I don't think recharging battery-powered cars at home is the ultimate practical solution since the charging time using 120V outlets may be too long for most.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:21 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,745,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Gas stations = refueling location

Fuel could be gasoline, electricity, hydrogen, etc. Any mass market shift of the fuel used to power vehicles requires infrastructure. I don't think recharging battery-powered cars at home is the ultimate practical solution since the charging time using 120V outlets may be too long for most.
It will take 8 hours using the same voltage your dryer uses. This can also be timed to occur overnight when there is very little load on the grid. Even more with a smart grid it will be the option of the local utility to charge you less at this time for the same KWH since it costs them less to provide. Plus companies like Delphi are working on wireless automated charging stations to make it even more convenient. Also 8 hours is for a full recharge; most of the time it will only need a fraction of this.

Even if you take home charging out of the equation a public charging station takes up very little room with no underground storage units:

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/fc_i...e-foods2-b.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin