Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:33 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,902,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
It is close... to the entrance... but once you take into account that most homes are not located right on the entrance, plus the traffic that typically backs up both on Lost Creek Blvd and also on 360 in the mornings and afternoons when school gets out and during rush hour, you could be looking at a pretty long wait.
Don't know what you would call a "pretty long wait", but I haven't had it take longer than 5 minutes, and that's from the center of the neighborhood. It's the very next light on 360 after you exit Lost Creek, and you don't even have to stop at that light (Las Cimas)... just turn right before the light. So traffic isn't really an issue like it is going farther down 360, IMO. In fact, I don't believe there is any subdivision that is closer to that Westlake Village HEB than Lost Creek... maybe Camelot, but they have to go through the 360/2244 intersection to get there. Or drive through Lost Creek. Even most of the homes in West Lake Hills are farther.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 01:36 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,587,416 times
That hasn't been my experience, but to each their own.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,747 times
Default What about the Jester neighborhood?

It's got alot of the things you are asking for. It's located off 360 up on a hill and is a newer neighborhood that is very family friendly and the houses are not too old. While most lots are smaller, there are some that are 1/2 acre plus.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,459,633 times
A quick look at what's on the market in the Jester neighborhood shows only 1 built in 2000 or later, and the neighborhood is definitely older (it was a well-established neighborhood when my son attended his high school graduation party there at a fellow student's home, and he's 38 now). Since the OP wants an area that's less than 10 years old, that won't work.

Problem is, all the attributes that the OP wants are found in the older, closer-in neighborhoods.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM

648 posts, read 1,966,764 times
Someone said St. Theresa's in downtown. Not true. It is in NW Hills. St. Austin's is popular and across from UT campus.

"You might also consider the Highland Park West/Balcones area, particularly east of Balcones, near Perry Lane."

Some of the streets there have sidewalks close to Higland Park Elementary. The streets west of Balcones up the hill a bit are very kid friendly b/c of lack of traffic. For example, some of my favorite streets include : Western Hills Drive, Ridge Oak Drive, certain portions of Crestway Spanish Oak Trail/Drive/Terrace, Laurel Canyon Drive...also love Timber Trail and Trailridge Drive. All these in 78731. Most of these are no-outlet streets, low traffic, some pretty big lots. I live in the hood and have a half acre, but I did have to do a gut reno. With your budget, you can nicely do this neighborhood. Rollingwood is much like this area. Like it too...very much.

Regarding your affection for "new", I personally would never want to have to travel all of 2222 to get to work everyday. 2222 is geographically constricted due to the Lake and Cat Mountain. With all the development in West Austin, I wouldn't want to buy west of the lake unless I didn't HAVE to go down town every day.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,799,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This is specifically what the OP said they didn't want:

I immediately thought of that area, as well, but if they must have a newer area, not just a new house, it won't work for them.
I know. I didn't miss that. Just thinking of what we said we didn't want when we started our search. Turned out to be nothing like what we set out to find, and yet it was better than what we had envisioned as perfect. Worth a look.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,459,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I know. I didn't miss that. Just thinking of what we said we didn't want when we started our search. Turned out to be nothing like what we set out to find, and yet it was better than what we had envisioned as perfect. Worth a look.
You'd be surprised (well, maybe not) how often that very thing happens! (I see it a lot - you think you know exactly what you want, and then you see the possibilities you didn't even know existed and it all changes.)

Old 11-14-2010, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 9,551 times
Thanks everyone for their input. This really helps in our search. It looks like we need to accept the fact that there are not any new areas in that part of town. We wanted a newer home so that we don't have to deal with repairs that come with an older home. And as far as why we want a newer area, we just like the appearance of a neighborhood in which all the homes were built around the same time. Apparently there is a lot of Westlake that we didn't see. I am anxious to get back down there to look around some more. Rob Roy looks like a perfect location and I like the fact it is gated but it may be a little over our budget ($3-5 million houses? Wow!)We live in the country now and have to drive at least 15 minutes to get anywhere, which is why when we move I want to be close to everything. I guess Texas is much more spread out everywhere, even close to the city.

Also, does anyone have any personal experience with St. Theresa's, St. Gabriel's or Trinity? We visited and were impressed with all of them. But I'd love to hear from parents the good or bad of any of them. And I'm trying to decide if St. Gabriel's & Trinity are worth an extra $10,000 a year.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 PM

319 posts, read 738,354 times
We've done a lot of homework on St. Gabriel's, what would you like to know?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,169 times
Texan2b,
You might want to look at the Wimberley Dr. area that is right off of Barton Creek (next to St. Gabriel's). There are a lot of families there and the houses are new-- although they might be too close together. The nearest grocery store is not too far and there is a wonderful new little market with a deli and smoothies on Barton Creek Blvd. If you are thinking of St. Gabriel's and then St. Michael's for high school, you couldn't have a better location. (St. Theresa's is a good school and I know a lot of families whose children have gone there, but I think it is pretty hard to get to, especially at rush hour.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin