Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,548 times

Advertisements

i was curious....why doesnt anyone date an artist? do we drive people that crazy? are we that broke?.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
I have a bunch of portraits of myself to hang in my living room from dating an artist.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
They are usually broke. Back in my single days, being financially stable (as I was) was sort of a prerequisite for dating someone. I think that is a good rule of thumb for anyone - man or woman.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:38 PM

544 posts, read 1,667,625 times
could be more than money - artists are more expressive, open, involved in the world -- those qualities, while good, often challenge people living in a "cover up" world - they crave the freedom emotion brings but don't dare go there for fear of being vunerable --

or, it brings too much drama --

??

Old 09-30-2010, 01:46 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times
I would not, not date someone, because they are an artist.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,548 times
hey thats cool. yeh seems like theres some things that drives people to not date artists. but then there are things that attract people to them. were not all broke and were not alll crazy...heheheh

Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
I am not sure the original assumption is correct....I know a (relatively speaking) lot of married artists, which I assume was preceeded by a period of dating .

Now, if the question is 'why doesn't anyone date a starving artist', well, the answer is probably similar to why they don't date a 'starving' engineer, Ph.D., etc....they just don't need the stress...

Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 PM

474 posts, read 905,406 times
I have known a few people (women) who seem to date ONLY artists. They like the artist "type" whatever. But these relationships seem to be short. But I have no idea what causes that. Could be the woman.

It is dangerous to stereotype too much. But the artists I know often have the following characteristics:

- low income
- unpredictable (plus and a minus)
- unreliable
- anti-establishment (plus and a minus)
- not fit/athletic (not necessarily fat though)
- drug friendly (plus and a minus)

Some or all of the above just don't work for some people.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Uh, maybe it's just you? Sorry, it had to be said. In Austin many where many "artists" are of the musical variety, I don't see them having any problems getting dates.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:01 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROY DUBOSE View Post
could be more than money - artists are more expressive, open, involved in the world -- those qualities, while good, often challenge people living in a "cover up" world - they crave the freedom emotion brings but don't dare go there for fear of being vunerable --

or, it brings too much drama --

??
Is there such a thing as a real estate artist?....or, should I say, A creative spirit caught in the grasp of a real estate career, waiting to get out? Because it sounds like you are, Roy!.....That's the beauty of real estate..so all encompassing itself, it absorbs, like headwaters drawing streams of water to itself, all occupations and states of life...those same former artists, ex-managers, teachers, waitresses, degreed with sheepskin that doesn't quite "fit" in the real world...and, in a wonderful metamorphosis, they all, in a wonderful melting pot, become....a real estate agent!.....ahh, there's the rub.....and the answer....if you are an artist in spirit, broke, or an actual artist, abjectly lacking the pragmatism that dates look for, get a Texas real estate license, proudly hang the same, or a replica thereof, over the mantle, and impress them all.....
works every time!

Last edited by inthecut; 10-01-2010 at 03:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: