Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 AM

12 posts, read 28,992 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any windows recently replaced? Do you have a good/bad recommendation? We just bought a house & need at least 2 big windows replaced...maybe more. I'm getting a quote from Lowe's & I've received a million window ads in the mail, but have no idea how to choose a quality company. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:42 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,814 times
I went with Lowes for the replacement of 6 windows last month. They helped me choose windows that met the requirements for the 30% federal tax credit. Included in their price was the cost of new trim and of course taking out the old windows. I tried to find a place to buy windows and then have my installer put them in but was constantly steered towards buy&install deals. The advantage of this is if they get the measurements wrong they have to reorder the window(s) at their expense. Proper installation is a must since even the best windows won't be able to reap benefits for you if they aren't framed, squared, and plumbed.

First off do you want wood windows or vinyl? The former is usually for older or more expensive homes since the windows cost much more and aren't more efficient.

Next you should decide if you want single or double hung, lights (dividers) and colors.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Do you want to replace entire windows or just glazing, such as foggy insulated glass? We have had several insulated glass panes replaced by Texas Redwood, I got hooked up with them because they were the distributor for Alenco Windows which are used in lots of Austin houses.

Murphy Kidd
Millwork Manager
Texas Redwood
385-5334 Office 385-7354 Fax

Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 AM

12 posts, read 28,992 times
We're looking for middle-of-the road quality but efficient vinyl windows. We don't want too cheap & can't afford the best right now. We know we need to replace 2 entire windows (the glass is fine but the frames are broken) & have a few that need to be repaired (tension springs, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin