Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:34 PM

629 posts, read 1,664,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I did not suggest that we eliminate those public services, but this in, at least in Austin, Texas serves only a very small handful of people. So very few of us are getting anything for our money.
Every person riding public transit is about one less person on Mopac or I-35 during rush hour. As for the rail, it's obviously underused. However, I hope they continue to develop it so that it actually goes the places people need to go when they need to get there. But even if that happens and the rail is a huge success, still only a small fraction of Austin-area residents will be using it...just like most public services. Where's the threshold for when something "isn't worth it"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The issue is the us is much bigger with a lot less density of population.

Japan has around 1550 miles of high speed rail with a population density of about 873 people/sq mile.

The us has a population density of around 80/sq mile.

Germany is 600/sq mile
UK is 650/sq mile
Spain is 235/sq mile

The other euro countries are pretty comparable around 500/sq mile

New york state has a population density of about 400/sq mile

New england in general is around 200/sq mile
That right there is the biggest reason why mass transit is so hard to implement in the USA: suburbia.

Gross.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:27 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,286,477 times
Put very simply, it aint happening. 1.) There isn't any money. 2.) There isn't enough demand for people going to SA from Austin 3.) There isn't any money. Oh wait, did I mention that money is extremely tight???

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
We sorta got into a new thread at the end of the amusement park one, and I think this would be a good actual thread..the gist of it is, evidentally a light rail train from SA to Austin was in the works for 20 years and STILL has not been built...Should there be one? Would it not be infinitely more pleasant for businesspeople to avoid "fighting fumes" on I-35? Wouldn't it be cool to take it for the afternoon and hang out at the riverwalk, and come back when its still light out? Not to mention the environmental impact of less CO on I-35...

Here is the link a CD person posted per the organization that is trying to put it together...

Lone Star Rail District | Home

Old 09-24-2010, 11:18 AM

187 posts, read 470,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
That right there is the biggest reason why mass transit is so hard to implement in the USA: suburbia.

Gross.
Have to close down all of the suburbs, stuff everyone into the city limits & THEN the trains might make more sense ....

Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor_Mom View Post
Have to close down all of the suburbs, stuff everyone into the city limits & THEN the trains might make more sense ....

No closing down or stuffing required. We just need smart planning policies that encourage medium-density development where appropriate and discourage sprawl.

Recent story related to this thread: Lone Star Rail takes another step - Austin Business Journal

Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 PM

187 posts, read 470,573 times
Quote:
No closing down or stuffing required. We just need smart planning policies that encourage medium-density development where appropriate and discourage sprawl.

Recent story related to this thread: Lone Star Rail takes another step - Austin Business Journal
Interesting read ...

Just checked out the map of the route at lonestarrail.com

It could work ... if they are able to make sure that the trains don't interfer with existing traffic. Am thinking Main St in Buda & on FM 1626 in Manchaca. I'd would be willing to change my mind about the viablity of such a project if overpasses would be manadatory. I mean, what's the use of rail service that has to slow down at every road the tracks intersect? Going over or under exisiting roadways so that you DON'T have to slow down significantly makes more sense. Also, you wouldn't get people moaning about how their local traffic was disrupted either!

Old 09-25-2010, 01:02 PM

51 posts, read 102,396 times
I think it is a very good idea to have high speed rail in the state of texas! I thought the texas egal was considered a kind of rail between those 4 cities.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:24 PM

9 posts, read 47,152 times
Here in Norfolk Va. we the taxpayers have been paying for light rail from Norfolk to nowhere for years , owe another 5 million and we are still paying the salary of the last incompent manager that was fired 6 months ago and we don't even know when or if it will ever go to Virginia Beach because Va. Bch. just last month finally aquired the right to buy the old Norfolk Southern rail track right of way.
You ain't in New York where there are 100,000 riders lined up to pay $5.00 to ride to Jersey.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:29 PM

653 posts, read 1,804,457 times
Quote:

Gross.
Some areas have much less trouble, implementing efficient mass transit, than Austin has.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:24 PM

3,263 posts, read 9,106,702 times
DFW to San Antonio to Houston back to DFW would be awesome with Austin been a stop on the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin