Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times

Advertisements

So the newsweek and us news rankings are BS. What is more interesting is how many of the graduates are able to attend ivy leagues + stanford +mit.

The WSJ had a ranking which was based on matriculation to HYP (harvard yale princeton). Does anyone have a link for the ivy league matriculation of austin area schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Can i get pills for that Matriculation over the counter at HEB.....or do i need a prescription?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Can i get pills for that Matriculation over the counter at HEB.....or do i need a prescription?
I thought Matriculation was applied topically.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
So the newsweek and us news rankings are BS. What is more interesting is how many of the graduates are able to attend ivy leagues + stanford +mit.

The WSJ had a ranking which was based on matriculation to HYP (harvard yale princeton). Does anyone have a link for the ivy league matriculation of austin area schools?
How would that number be any more meaningful? With the amount of competition to gain entry into any of those schools, the high school you went to in Austin TX is going to be pretty far down the list of criterion. Unless of course you're looking for some statistical aberration that might point to a particular school having some type of alumni based inside track.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:07 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Yes, and you are assuming that the desire to attend H-Y-P or Stanford-MIT is evenly distributed across the country, it is not! There was a Harvard Book award at my midwestern high school given every year but never an applicant to the college! It was a very good high school but the students were from middle-income skilled labors, and professionals (not doctors' or lawyers' kids) and it was a big deal to go to a university in a neighboring state! No one ever wanted to go that far east!

And as a result, 20-30-40 years ago, geographic diversity was desirable. Harvard wants to show that they attract kids from all 50 states, so a kid from Wyoming or Texas or New Mexico can get admitted ahead of an equally qualified kid from Boston or CT.

Many very smart local kids want to get into Rice or Plan II at UT. Look at where LASA, St. Stephens and St. Andrews grads go, yes Harvard, Yale, and Princeton appear on the list but just 1 student to each. Lots of midwestern liberal arts colleges (Oberlin, Carleton, Grinnell), and more schools closer to Texas (Vanderbilt, Emory,) and state schools. Certainly compared to public and private schools on the east coast (CT, NJ, PA, MA), the ivies just aren't desired here in the same way. The number of kids who want to go to them isn't zero, but it is smaller percentage than places closer to the east coast.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:03 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Certainly compared to public and private schools on the east coast (CT, NJ, PA, MA), the ivies just aren't desired here in the same way. The number of kids who want to go to them isn't zero, but it is smaller percentage than places closer to the east coast.
Outside of the major "national universities", I think college is very regional. There's very little name recognition with many of the top tier east coast colleges in Texas. For example, Williams is the top rated university according to Forbes this year. I'd be shocked if 3% of Texans have even heard of Williams.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:38 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

I don't think it's relevant.

Check this out ...
"Of the 100 U.S. high schools sending the highest percentage of students to Harvard, Yale and Princeton, 94 of them are private schools -- with tuition ranging from $7,800 to $29,650 a year, according to a study by Worth magazine....

Still, those parents dead-set on getting their kid into Harvard, Yale or Princeton may want to consider moving to the Eastern seaboard. New York and Massachusetts are home to the top 10 schools on the list, which send between 16 and 21 percent of their students to one of the three colleges. Of the top 30 schools, only one is not in an eastern state (it's in California)."

Read the article here:
Top 100 feeder high schools to the Ivy League - MarketWatch

Old 08-27-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
How would that number be any more meaningful? With the amount of competition to gain entry into any of those schools, the high school you went to in Austin TX is going to be pretty far down the list of criterion. Unless of course you're looking for some statistical aberration that might point to a particular school having some type of alumni based inside track.
Yes it has nothing to do with the name brand of the high school. The question is related to determining which schools in austin best prepare you to get into ivy leagues. Feel free to include rice. Is there such a list?

I would bet a ton of people from every school apply to ivy leagues and dont get in. The question is which schools have the best percentage of students that apply to ivy league schools that get accepted.

To me this is more important than the newsweek and us news rankings.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I don't think it's relevant.
You dont think what is relevant to what?

It is my question, I didnt ask for relevance, I asked for any links to data regarding matriculation rates to ivy leagues for austin area schools.

Percentage of acceptances to applications would be good as well.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:47 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I don't think that any one in Austin keeps such data. The only place I have ever seen it, is in lists of college acceptances from private schools and LASA. And even there it is always self-reported data, so it is a question of accuracy.

The kind of data you are asking for it generally kept by the universities, they know where their incoming students went to high school but generally HS do not ask or verify if they do ask where their students go to college. Talk to local admission reps for the ivies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin