Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:38 PM

308 posts, read 1,467,810 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a covered patio about the size of 30x8 to shade both my family room and breakfast room. also looking at the cost of building some eaves to shade the master bedroom windows. the extended roof would keep my utility bills low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 02:57 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
I built one about 10X12 and it was just under $10k. But, we had a friend who was an architect so we were able to get drawings for only $300. Plus, we had a friend who was a civil engineer, so we were able to get our plans approved for free.

If you're looking at extending the actual roof line to make it look like it's part of the house, which I highly recommend, for the size you're talking about, you're going to be a minimum of $15k if mine was $10k after several estimates.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:48 PM

really?! my quote from the builder is 12'5x12'5 for 7750, and it should be a very basic one, while you may put a lot there. I don't have architect friends, and my civil engineer friends only work on computer models....that's too bad.

I do want to make it look like part of the house. the good thing for covered patio or extended roofline is, austin is kinda dry most of the time, and it would be nice to have some breeze there. it makes huge difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I built one about 10X12 and it was just under $10k. But, we had a friend who was an architect so we were able to get drawings for only $300. Plus, we had a friend who was a civil engineer, so we were able to get our plans approved for free.

If you're looking at extending the actual roof line to make it look like it's part of the house, which I highly recommend, for the size you're talking about, you're going to be a minimum of $15k if mine was $10k after several estimates.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
As in most building projects, there are huge variations in the materials you can use that will make the costs vary. For example, are you using 4 x 8 MDF for the ceiling? It's common and pretty cheap. Or you can use a stained pine siding material that looks much much nicer. Are your posts metal, cedar, stone or stucco ? Big price differences there.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:56 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
During the building process is completely different. The builder might actually charge you a fee for their architects to redraw your house with the new feature. Most charge $1500-2500 to do a redraw of plans.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Jesus, I don't know any of these.... can you give me a range? from the cheapest one to the average one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
As in most building projects, there are huge variations in the materials you can use that will make the costs vary. For example, are you using 4 x 8 MDF for the ceiling? It's common and pretty cheap. Or you can use a stained pine siding material that looks much much nicer. Are your posts metal, cedar, stone or stucco ? Big price differences there.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:53 PM

I see. I already passed that stage, so I am looking at doing it after. Most likely I will go with an average looking one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
During the building process is completely different. The builder might actually charge you a fee for their architects to redraw your house with the new feature. Most charge $1500-2500 to do a redraw of plans.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:18 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Another alternative is a deck and arbor combination. Austin Deck Company built us a 20 x 10 deck, pressure treated cedar for about 5K. It does have slats that allow sunlight in, but it definitely cut down on the sunlight compared to before. You can put a screen type material on the arbor top and that can give you very good shade, comparable to a covered patio.

Also realize that a covered patio, depending on where your house is facing, won't block the sun if the sun is at an angle. It can shine underneath the patio's roof, right into your house.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:16 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,066 times
How does the cost of building a covered patio compare to turning part of the existing house into a patio (meaning using the existing roof, and existing foundation.)

Suppose the house has an extra eating area, in the SW corner of the house, maybe 12' x 12'.

Would doing this type of design be potentially harmful to the foundation (rain getting in if the rain angle is right)

Wondering why any one would do this to a house? The yard is already small. Patio coverings are supposed to match the roof. Decrease sq footage for tax reasons.
It is probably a better idea to put in lots of glass doors and large windows, so that they can be open to give an outside feeling, or closed to create a sort of winter sunroom. But if I do that I would then need an additional wall, to make it a complete separate room (for energy/temperature reasons).

Old 06-26-2010, 10:21 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Another alternative is a deck and arbor combination. Austin Deck Company built us a 20 x 10 deck, pressure treated cedar for about 5K. It does have slats that allow sunlight in, but it definitely cut down on the sunlight compared to before. You can put a screen type material on the arbor top and that can give you very good shade, comparable to a covered patio.

Also realize that a covered patio, depending on where your house is facing, won't block the sun if the sun is at an angle. It can shine underneath the patio's roof, right into your house.
It would be easy to hang a shade thing on the W side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: