Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:40 PM

653 posts, read 1,795,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
We already have those. They're called "one-bedroom apartments".
They do not allow a family of 6 (at least in any lease agreement I have read).

A family of 6, that qualifies for HUD, gets a 4 bedroom apartment (or house) at tax payer expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,269,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Texas politics, got to love it.
True, stuff like this never happens anywhere else And I'm sure if the govt (state or fed) was taking it over vs a private corp, then our tax dollars would be more efficiently spent.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM

536 posts, read 1,539,886 times
In Austin, I was told that each child is supposed to get his/her own bedroom and not shack up with another child and that they WILL enforce it in apartments that are rented out to the public. Not sure about condos or small houses. I think it's stupid. Was told that it was an effort to keep immigrants from rooming up in apts to save money.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:57 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,024,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
In Austin, I was told that each child is supposed to get his/her own bedroom and not shack up with another child and that they WILL enforce it in apartments that are rented out to the public. Not sure about condos or small houses. I think it's stupid. Was told that it was an effort to keep immigrants from rooming up in apts to save money.
Shirley, you must be joking.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,782,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
True, stuff like this never happens anywhere else And I'm sure if the govt (state or fed) was taking it over vs a private corp, then our tax dollars would be more efficiently spent.
I dont know name another State where foreign owned toll roads are the norm and I'll change my tune about Texas politics.

Call me crazy but theres probably a reason that no where else on earth do private corporations run public housing. But hey to brainwashed people like you government is the devil and always incompetent and corporations are just good citizens out to make some money.

Do you expect other people to let you rule them with a thought? Not going to happen.

Last edited by orbius; 06-24-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I dont know name another State where foreign owned toll roads are the norm and I'll change my tune about Texas politics.
Also the article said that this project was the largest of its kind in the entire United States if you bothered to read it.

Yes if the city wants this project the city should run it. Its absurd to give a company running a one off government housing project a cash incentive to screw over the inhabitants of said project.
Chicago - Australia and Spain
Indiana - Australia and Spain (same company as above)
Virginia - Australia
Orange County (Cali) - France (this contract has since been terminated)

Like I said, Texas is hardly unique in this area. Plus how does the fact that the contract is the largest of it's kind (which, thank you, yes, I did read) have anything to do with it's non-uniqueness?

As for who runs the thing, that is obviously open for debate. It's not like our govt entities are bastions of efficiency or models of positive ethics. Though obviously there are issues with for profit private parties as well. Bottom line is that we as tax payers are hosed one way or the other, but I honestly don't believe that as a blanket rule one road is necessarily less fraught with disaster than another.

Quote:
If government has the will to create a project of this scope using our money it should have the will to manage and run this project. It all smacks of greased palms, laziness, and graft to me.
And you'd rather have them running the project?

Old 06-24-2010, 04:39 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,782,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Chicago - Australia and Spain
Indiana - Australia and Spain (same company as above)
Virginia - Australia
Orange County (Cali) - France (this contract has since been terminated)

Like I said, Texas is hardly unique in this area. Plus how does the fact that the contract is the largest of it's kind (which, thank you, yes, I did read) have anything to do with it's non-uniqueness?

As for who runs the thing, that is obviously open for debate. It's not like our govt entities are bastions of efficiency or models of positive ethics. Though obviously there are issues with for profit private parties as well. Bottom line is that we as tax payers are hosed one way or the other, but I honestly don't believe that as a blanket rule one road is necessarily less fraught with disaster than another.

And you'd rather have them running the project?
The City government is going to have to have oversight over the project no matter who runs it. Given that truism why not just have the city run it. How on earth though is it a good idea to have a for profit company running it? Where is the profit going to come from, denying residents services? Lying to the City about their costs to get extra money?

Again just a bad idea.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The City government is going to have to have oversight over the project no matter who runs it. Given that truism why not just have the city run it. How on earth though is it a good idea to have a for profit company running it? Where is the profit going to come from, denying residents services? Lying to the City about their costs to get extra money?

Again just a bad idea.
Oversight of a program and actually managing a property are two different things entirely. The hope is that a third party (for profit or not) that has expertise in that area would be able to provide the needed services for less than the govt could do it themselves (for any given level of effectiveness). The for profit company merely bids an amount that they think that they can still offer the service for and make a profit, it's up to the govt agency to decide if this amount is less than what they think they can perform the same task for. If it's run by a govt agency and they underestimate the budget for providing the services, how are they going to bridge that gap? Denying residents services? Lying to the budget/comptrollers office?

I'm not saying that it makes financial sense in this specific case to utilize a for profit third party (though someone(s) in the City of Austin seems to think so). I'm just saying that the fact that it's a for profit third party in and of itself doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:24 PM

653 posts, read 1,795,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
I understand that sewer systems and infrastructure is only designed to handle a certain population level.
But there is no reason why the standard, for what is considered adequate housing, can not be dropped, and then housing built (with the infrastructure in place) to handle more people per sq foot of property.

I think that any housing, receiving subsidies, should meet a standard of a lower sq footage per person, than the current standard, and then built (or remodeled) with an infrastructure to handle the increased number of occupants per sq foot.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Sorry to disagree again, but high taxes are what have kept housing affordable in Austin. If we eliminate property taxes, then housing prices will fill the void. Throw in a state sales tax, and everyone gets nailed, while they still have to end up paying more for housing. The latter scenario will only benefit existing homeowners who bought when the tax burden had kept the cost of housing relatively low.
Absolutely. This is something that some folks just don't seem to get, that our property taxes is what kept nimnulls from running the price of housing through the roof as it was in other states that didn't have that brake. And why people from those states keep moving here because they can still afford to live here whereas they can't in their own states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: