Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 PM

308 posts, read 1,468,795 times

Advertisements

really?! that's a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
I got a 20% discount for my installation in Nov. They said it was because it was their slow time of the year. Of course you never really know if you're getting a true discount or if they inflated the original price so it looked like you were getting a discount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM

153 posts, read 511,806 times
motherofthree, thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder how one could find the true value of the sprinkler system being offered.

Do most sprinkler system install companies use the same quality materials to begin with? Is there a difference in the quality of the layout for good coverage between companies, or a difference in how well it is installed?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 AM

Y, I have the same questions.

Besides, how do you guys compare automatic sprinkler system with portable sprinkler like this?
Amazon.com: Portable 3 in 1 Sprinkler System: Kitchen & Dining

My concern about automatic sprinkler system in the back yard is, is it very easy to break it when I am trying to dig some holes for trees in my yard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinizer View Post
motherofthree, thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder how one could find the true value of the sprinkler system being offered.

Do most sprinkler system install companies use the same quality materials to begin with? Is there a difference in the quality of the layout for good coverage between companies, or a difference in how well it is installed?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:37 AM

481 posts, read 2,418,412 times
Quote:

That's a good question. The company I went with showed me a computer drawn map of my yard with all the proposed sprinkler heads and their coverage. That really impressed me.

I got three quotes and they all used different spray heads for the large are of grass in my backyard. Company A wanted to put small spray heads all over the grass area in the backyard. I didn't like that idea. Company B wanted to use these rotors that I see spraying football fields. Company C - one I went with - used Hunter revolving streams which I love. They are so pretty when they are on. Just swirls of water spinning around with great coverage.

Also, check into the warranty. My company is no cost to repair or replace anything for 3 years.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:41 AM

481 posts, read 2,418,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
Y, I have the same questions.

Besides, how do you guys compare automatic sprinkler system with portable sprinkler like this?
Amazon.com: Portable 3 in 1 Sprinkler System: Kitchen & Dining

My concern about automatic sprinkler system in the back yard is, is it very easy to break it when I am trying to dig some holes for trees in my yard?
That was and still is a concern of mine as well. I took pictures during installation and some measurements of where the lines went so I could avoid them when planting shrubs. The lines are 7" - 9" deep. I have hit them a few times when I forget but the shovel never cut the pipe. You can see where the heads are (or at least turn them on and mark with flags) so you have an idea of where the lines run.

I think the portable one would be a pain and with not much coverage. The price is certainly much better.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:46 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
There are variations in quality and design approach that will impact price.

My advice: Don't be stingy with the number of zones unless you are just watering grass. The more zones you have, the more flexible your watering capability when it comes to plants. Also, consider adding a drip zone or two for your hanging baskets and flower boxes.... especially if you have them on a deck.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 PM

motherofthree and Roadking2003, thanks for your advice! A computer-drawn map of the coverage is certainly a plus. About the number of zones, a co-worker also told me to get more zones and less heads per zone, in case I need to add more zones to a particular spot in the future.

trayanh, I also considered a portable sprinkler system with several heads etc. Would you intend to get several of them and leave them in the same place, or getting one set and moving it around? With moving it around, I don't see that much advantage to what I'm doing now (moving my impact sprinkler around), other than that I'd have to move it less frequently. With leaving it in the same place, you have to consider what you'll do when you're mowing. Other alternatives include a traveling sprinkler (have heard good and bad things) and soaker hoses.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:29 PM

One interesting thing I noticed in my neighborhood is that many of the people who are getting sprinkler systems are young, perhaps first time home owners. Some of our neighbors that have been long-time home owners use simple hoses and sprinklers (yet their yards look good -- maybe it's experience and technique?).

Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 PM

I am thinking of the same thing and will take pictures all the way if I finally go with installation of the irrigation system.

Basically I am hesitating whether to have it done by the builder subcontractor now or do it later when I have a clear idea what I am gonna do with the yard. I checked with my builder, they said the sprinkler system will be 7-8 zones with monitor system from Hunter. I have no idea which manufacturer provides nice sprinkler systems, but according to Roadking2003, installing it later with more zones will be more desirable. Right now, my builder's quote is $2500 for front yard only and $4500 including back yard. I do have limestones throughout the yard, and that's why I am also concerning of planting trees after all the PVC pipes are installed. I am not so handy, so breaking them will be much easier than fixing them by myself.

Do you have any recommendation for irrigation system installation companies? I heard Ewing Irrigation-Golf-Industrial is a very good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
That was and still is a concern of mine as well. I took pictures during installation and some measurements of where the lines went so I could avoid them when planting shrubs. The lines are 7" - 9" deep. I have hit them a few times when I forget but the shovel never cut the pipe. You can see where the heads are (or at least turn them on and mark with flags) so you have an idea of where the lines run.

I think the portable one would be a pain and with not much coverage. The price is certainly much better.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM

I guess if I finally go with the portable ones, I will put several there, so that I don't have to cross the lawn all the time when it is wet. You don't mow the yard everyday, but your lawn need water at least every other day.

Quote:
motherofthree and Roadking2003, thanks for your advice! A computer-drawn map of the coverage is certainly a plus. About the number of zones, a co-worker also told me to get more zones and less heads per zone, in case I need to add more zones to a particular spot in the future.

trayanh, I also considered a portable sprinkler system with several heads etc. Would you intend to get several of them and leave them in the same place, or getting one set and moving it around? With moving it around, I don't see that much advantage to what I'm doing now (moving my impact sprinkler around), other than that I'd have to move it less frequently. With leaving it in the same place, you have to consider what you'll do when you're mowing. Other alternatives include a traveling sprinkler (have heard good and bad things) and soaker hoses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: