Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Where did you come up with anything I said being about loss prevention? My point was the only lanes they keep open are on the grocery side, and those usually have 3-5 people with carts chock full of groceries in them. Even at 5 or 6pm on a busy weekday they do this. If I went to pick up deodorant and chewing gum or something, I don't want to have to wait 15 minutes in line to check out. I don't know how often you've used the self checkout at Walmart, but in North Augusta it's fairly common for every one of them to be open and occupied with 5-10 people waiting in line to use them. And that's WITH another 3-5 people in line at the jewelry counter already. Walmart is the only retailer I ever have this issue with.
I provided a scenario why more cashiers are needed at Walmart. Without them, you would have activities similar to the scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 09:07 PM

Default Bi-Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
It might be a good thing for Bilo to remain in "no man's land" since they don't' have any direct competition in the immediate vicinity. In fact this seems to be their strategy in a lot of cases and its partially why I think they took over Reid's because a couple of those locations were away from other grocers as well.
What if Bi-Lo Holdings did not acquire 156 Harvey's, Reid's and Sweetbay stores from Delhaize or the 22 stores from Piggly Wiggly Carolina? I would say many of these stores would have closed and could have created food deserts in specific towns and communities. It is nice to see Bi-Lo Holdings take a risk acquiring these stores, but many of them need complete updates to serve the necessities of their customers.

In regards to Bi-Lo, Bi-Lo Holdings withdrew plans for its initial public offering. Store updates and redecorating, new stores, and significant updates are unexpected. I wonder if Lone Star Funds, parent company of Bi-Lo Holdings, is looking to divest its interest to a competitor. Is Kroger ready to acquire Bi-Lo?

Further reading:
  • Dykes, David. "Bi-Lo Parents Pulls Plan for Public Offering." The Greenville News. 2014-08-22. Retrieved 2014-08-26. <http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/money/business/2014/08/22/bi-lo-winn-dixie-grocery-store-parent-pulls-plan-public-stock-offering/14441001/>

Old 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
What if Bi-Lo Holdings did not acquire 156 Harvey's, Reid's and Sweetbay stores from Delhaize or the 22 stores from Piggly Wiggly Carolina? I would say many of these stores would have closed and could have created food deserts in specific towns and communities. It is nice to see Bi-Lo Holdings take a risk acquiring these stores, but many of them need complete updates to serve the necessities of their customers.
I actually think that's something they excel at and should continue to focus on. I don't think they'll ever overtake a Kroger or Publix, but they could continue acquiring smaller chains or stores. Their takeover typically comes as an improvement over what the previous store was.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 PM

Default Bi-Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
I actually think that's something they excel at and should continue to focus on. I don't think they'll ever overtake a Kroger or Publix, but they could continue acquiring smaller chains or stores. Their takeover typically comes as an improvement over what the previous store was.
Bi-Lo should focus on improving the existing stores it has across its banner, Winn Dixie and Harvey's instead of adding stores through existing chains and operations.. Acquiring many low performing stores and not improving them does not bode well.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 AM

423 posts, read 447,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Bi-Lo should focus on improving the existing stores it has across its banner, Winn Dixie and Harvey's instead of adding stores through existing chains and operations.. Acquiring many low performing stores and not improving them does not bode well.
Agreed they should have focused on improving the customer experience with their existing stores rather than squander their money needlessly buying up more chains.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:59 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
''Developers are forging ahead on a 35-acre commercial development, anchored by a large-format Kroger supermarket, just off Interstate 20’s Grovetown exit.''

Preliminary plans call for large Kroger market near Grovetown | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 10-22-2014, 06:44 AM

153 posts, read 274,835 times
Grovetown Rezone Makes Way for Kroger Marketplace - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken
http://agenda.columbiacountyga.gov/C...4/525/I2C4.PDF
Blanchard & Calhoun Commercial will build a Kroger Marketplace Store, which will include a fuel center, hotel and other retail stores.

Last edited by CenHigh05; 10-22-2014 at 07:08 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 09:44 AM

250 posts, read 580,655 times
wow so this will not be on the walmart side of the exit... changes are a coming for that interchange!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:30 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Should break ground in the next few months...

Old 02-04-2015, 04:37 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
This is great news!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area