Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
You are mistaken.
While probably most of the 5 cylinders were gasoline, diesel versions did exist.

They weren't especially powerful, quiet, or indeed reliable, but not many diesel engines of the time were if you compare them to today's technology
The gasoline models were just over 100 bhp, the non turbo diesel was around 60, and the turbo diesel was around 80.
Hardly blistering !

I used to be the rep for a Scottish Audi club, collecting various models was my pastime !
My current daily driver is a 1983 100CC.

Who's laughing now ?
There was also a gas engined 5000 turbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:44 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I didn't even realize Audi made cars until they came into the mainstream in the mid-late 90's. Funny, because I could easily spot a Mercedes or BMW in Woodland Hills, CA as a kid back in the 80's when visiting grandma and grandpa.
You couldn't have been watching too closely ...

the Audi 4000's and 5000's were very strong cars in their respective marketplaces starting in the 1980's, and were in many aspects superior performers to their BMW and M-B competition at lower cost/mile.

I drove several 4000CSquattro's to the 250-300K mile marks with very little expense for upkeep/maintenance compared to my BMW's and 123 chassis MB's of that era. The Audi's delivered far better handling, especially in inclement weather conditions ... and the heaters/A/C systems, cruise control, and heated mirrors far outperformed their competition in those other german marques. On top of that, the 2.2 liter engine in the 4000CSquattro delivered better fuel economy than the others 2-2.5 liter engines ....

Other than having to resecure the exhaust manifold a couple of times on the Audi (a nuisance project), they were comparable or lower cost for other running consumables ... tire wear was exceptionally good, belts/hoses wore as well, and the entire package was a pleasure to drive. I generally got over 70,000 miles on a set of front brake pads with the rears going double that mileage. And the Audi didn't have appreciable wear in the top end/valve adjustment requirement that needed adjusting every 5,000 miles or so on the others.

These were durable, comfortable, and reliable cars. Once the aftermarket caught up to the window regulator and hydraulic pump items of the 5000 series, even these items became far more durable and reasonable in cost.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 939 times
Default Back Window of Audi 100 LS

Where would I be able to find a rear windscreen for the Audi 100 LS?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:12 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Merc, Maybe they stood up better out of the winter road salt belt. I base everything on what that road salt did in short order, since I live in NH.

Then the care given means a lot too. I bought a 1986 dodge full size conversion van in 06 with very low miles. Today it has just 30,000, but it was from Arkansas and has no undercoat and yet the frame is still in paint. It has rear drum brakes and the return springs and backing plates are still in OEM paint.

I prefered working on the Audi's to any work on a Lancia or Fiat. As I see it Fiat was at the dead bottom of the heap back then. I am not excited a bit to see them return if they are built like they were then.

The biggest problem with Audi then, was a weak rear suspention.
I live in an area with no road salt, no snow. I often see immaculate or not-so-immaculate 30-year-old cars being used as daily drivers. Toyotas, Nissan Maximas, Hondas, as well as older BMW's and Mercedes. I NEVER see old Audis or water-cooled VW's. They all stopped working and got crushed a very long time ago.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 579 times
I had 2 of these 100LS cars, 1974's one automatic the other 4 speed. I liked the 4 speed much better, except it would pop out of 2nd on acceleration so I had to hold it in gear. Smooth riding, like a luxury car. I sold the automatic car right away before it broke. The 4 speed one used quite a bit of oil, and sometimes I had to pull the air cleaner and use quick start spray to get it started in cold weather. I took the engine apart and was going to do a full rebuild, until the dealer told me the pistons cost $250.00 each with rings. So I just bought the rings, bearings, gaskets and put it back together. parts were crazy expensive for the car, so whenever something broke, you went broke too. It also seemed to go through outer CV joints and boots. The best thing about the car is the leg room in the front seats. I hammered my girlfriend on the front passenger seat a number of times late nights out. I finally sold mine about 1980 to a guy for $1100, a few weeks later he wanted to sell it back to me! LOL. The experience of owning this car has left me scared of Audi's to this day! They cost a fortune to maintain!.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:47 AM

166 posts, read 170,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I remember these from the old ads. I was not around, but I do remember the cars. Considered quite a luxury car in its day. According to this, they were made up until 1994: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_100

Here are some recent pics of one... in need of some restoration. Kinda reminds me of an old Mercedes of that era...

This is a 1971 Audi 100 LS

Awesome! (sorry, haven't seen one for years.)

Old 10-31-2017, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 527 times
It may have had engine problems and what not but boy isn't she beautiful! If the restoration is done properly it's gonna be gorgeous, I am all about old cars, sadly can't afford them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi