Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 16,052 times

Advertisements

hello ,

We are considering relocating to atlanta. We have two young children (elementary age). I want the best of all the worlds. Great weather meaning not cold and best schools.

Please give me your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 02:12 PM

218 posts, read 1,190,077 times
It depends, how much are you trying to spend, where are your jobs? Keep in mind that even though most affluent areas seem to have the "best schools", there are some great things going on at schools where money is not so prevelent (excuse the spelling). What exactly are you looking for in a "good school?" There are lots of things to consider; there really is no one "Best District", each has their pros and cons, unless you are considering private school where your money controls the well-being of your children's education (most of the time).

Last edited by ATLienGirl; 06-14-2007 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 06-15-2007, 07:00 AM

539 posts, read 2,104,903 times
Talking On our way to Georgia!

My favorite sites to research the schools are schoolmatters.com, greatschools.net and Georgia Department of Education, where you can look at each school's or county's report card, teacher stats, teacher to student ratio, expenditures, etc. One thing that I did notice is that the scores can change pretty drastically from year to year, I was told this is due to the fact that there is a lot of re-districting in growing areas.

If you are interested in crime reports I like the FBI's web site, Preliminary Annual Uniform Crime Report, January-December, 2006 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/06prelim/index.html - broken link).

Sperling's Best web site has some pretty good information as well. I did find some of the information on this web site to be vague, out of date or even incorrect but it is a good starting point.

More than anything else, I found this forum to be a tremendous help in doing my research. Thanks again everyone! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'm happy to try and help.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:24 PM

88 posts, read 512,023 times
School Districts here are based on County and they all have GREAT schools within each District. I don't think there is one particular bad district so determining where your job is and some other factors would be a good start and then focus in on the schools within that area.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:55 PM

826 posts, read 3,124,124 times
Looks like its Cobb County. Looks like they had the most awards.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:45 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,512,669 times
Default What sort of awards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Looks like its Cobb County. Looks like they had the most awards.
I don't know if the # of awards is the best indicator.

Around Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek, Milton--city of--there should be a number of excellent schools --based on the demographics of the area. That might be Fulton or Forsyth or Gwinnett...

Old 06-16-2007, 07:25 AM

Thumbs up Equity for All in Forsyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I don't know if the # of awards is the best indicator.

Around Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek, Milton--city of--there should be a number of excellent schools --based on the demographics of the area. That might be Fulton or Forsyth or Gwinnett...
I'd say of the three, Forsyth is definitely the best...not because of test scores, but because Forsyth believes in "equity for all", meaning that if one schools gets something, they ALL do. You don't see certain schools that are shortchanged, such as the differences in North and South Fulton, and North and South Gwinnett. It doesn't matter if it's a title I school or not in Forsyth, the county provides all things for all schools (versus certain schools). For example, EVERY classroom in EVERY schools has a Promethean White Board (an interactive computerized board for learning). When I taught in South Fulton County, I used to go to north Fulton Schools and be in awe...like, wow, why can't we get this, or why can't we get that. It's all about individual funding at each school. Forsyth might be at an advantage because they are smaller, but, you don't have parents going into one school and being like "how come they don't have things like this at my child's school?" If I ever decided to move north of I-20 and teach, I think Forsyth would be where I would want to teach based on this theory.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:25 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,512,669 times
Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
I'd say of the three, Forsyth is definitely the best...not because of test scores, but because Forsyth believes in "equity for all", meaning that if one schools gets something, they ALL do. You don't see certain schools that are shortchanged, such as the differences in North and South Fulton, and North and South Gwinnett. It doesn't matter if it's a title I school or not in Forsyth, the county provides all things for all schools (versus certain schools). For example, EVERY classroom in EVERY schools has a Promethean White Board (an interactive computerized board for learning). When I taught in South Fulton County, I used to go to north Fulton Schools and be in awe...like, wow, why can't we get this, or why can't we get that. It's all about individual funding at each school. Forsyth might be at an advantage because they are smaller, but, you don't have parents going into one school and being like "how come they don't have things like this at my child's school?" If I ever decided to move north of I-20 and teach, I think Forsyth would be where I would want to teach based on this theory.
It is good to know that Forsyth is idealistic--'Equity for all', etc.

The OP seems to be from out of state and researched GA schools from the FYI provided in other posts on this thread and then concluded that Cobb County was the 'Best' school district because it had the most awards.

There have been some excellent discussions in this forum about the criteria that define quality education--the poster might enjoy reading some of those threads...I don't think we need another one, jmo.

On a number of occasions schools in this area --(Alpharetta-Roswell-Sandy Springs--Johns Creek--Milton--maybe Suwanee and/or Cumming???) are identified as those with higher/highest test scores and programs that are not found in many other schools.

Many transplanted citizens living in this area and many employed in the IT industry--

sls

Old 06-16-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
It is good to know that Forsyth is idealistic--'Equity for all', etc.

The OP seems to be from out of state and researched GA schools from the FYI provided in other posts on this thread and then concluded that Cobb County was the 'Best' school district because it had the most awards.

There have been some excellent discussions in this forum about the criteria that define quality education--the poster might enjoy reading some of those threads...I don't think we need another one, jmo.

On a number of occasions schools in this area --(Alpharetta-Roswell-Sandy Springs--Johns Creek--Milton--maybe Suwanee and/or Cumming???) are identified as those with higher/highest test scores and programs that are not found in many other schools.

Many transplanted citizens living in this area and many employed in the IT industry--

sls

Yes, I agree; there are many other threads that discuss this. So, it is easier to look at this from an individual school stance as opposed to a "county" stance. Ideally, there's no "best county" in regards to test scores because each individual school is different. Especially in those areas you mentioned (where money is the most prevelent).

Old 06-16-2007, 04:19 PM

88 posts, read 512,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
This is very true, but I think the school's in South Forsyth might be a tad better than North. I think this is mostly because there have been more people that have moved in to South Forsyth and it tends to be a little more progressive than North. The white boards are something else - very impressive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta