Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,553 times

Advertisements

Hi:

Looking for a writing program / workshop for my Kindergartener - either Sat/Sun schools or any summer workshops dedicated to writing skills development.

My son absolutely loves reading and is much above grade level with his reading and comprehension skills (around 4 grade level for reading and 2 - 2.5 level for comprehension) but come to writing he is not that enthusiastic. In Pre-K, he had one of the best handwritings (amongst the 3 sections) and could already spell quite well when he started Kindergarten. Unfortunately, they do not have 'journal writing' in his K-class (as some of the other Kindergarten sections in his school does). Consequently, due to the lack of practice, his handwriting has degraded a lot in the last few months. Additionally, although he has the capability of writing 3 - 5 sentences independently if he wants, it is really a struggle to get him to do that at home. Bribing him with something will work for 1 - 2 days, but then again it's not worth the effort; takes about 15 / 20 mins before he will finally settle on a topic to write and 1 - 1,5 hrs before he will complete it (after running around the house 10 times in between his writings and at least 1 episode of scolding/crying/coaxing etc). So from the time of topic selection to the review of his work it is a solid 2 - 2.5 hrs at the end of which we are both pretty much exhausted instead of it being a fun filled quality time we spend together.

I am really looking forward to some writing skills development program in the Atlanta area. There are some Reading Skills Programs I have come across offered by Emory University etc but I have not been successful in finding any writing programs. Any information on wrtiing programs will be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 04:52 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,641,607 times
Have you heard of a program called Handwriting Without Tears? It's supposed to be very good. A lot of homeschoolers use it. I've ordered it for my little guy, but I haven't gotten it yet. If nothing else it's considerably cheaper than anything Emory's offering. Oy vey

Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 AM

Appreciate your prompt response. Yes that's what his private Pre-K Program used in class (Handwriting without Tears). I am looking for a program something more than just handwriting - teaching the composition part as well. Moreover, for the Handwriting without Tears, the onus would still be on me to get trained on using it effectively and making my son practice on a daily basis - as a full time working mom, that's a little hard. It would be better if I can find a program in place (similar to the reading skills programs offered in the area) for K/1 graders. But thanks again, if I don't find anything perhaps the Writing Without Tears may be the best option.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 PM

90 posts, read 259,182 times
He's still really young. The expectations we have on such young children are not always in line with where they are develomentally and this is why they "are not that interested" or "run around" before doing any work. (I work in the education field, I'm not just saying this). We can easily create frustration and a lack of desire to write or read or do anything really when we put so much pressure on them. But having said that, you could try a few things at home that don't require sending him out for lessons: find different things for him to write on - not just paper...get some shaving cream, spray a bit on a large mirror or the bathtub wall (when he is in the bath) and ask him to use his finger to write you a message (you could take turns actually). Get a little chalkboard and ask him to write a sentence with different colored chalk (or you can tell him what to write (use words you know he can spell; throw in a word or two he doesn't know so he learns new ones too). Buy Crayola magic markers where he can write you a message and then you use the decoder pen to "discover" what he wrote. Write him a note, put it in an envelope and slide it under his bedroom door with instructions to 'reply' to you. Allow him to type a sentence or two on the computer about the week's weather, print it out and stick it on the fridge as an announcement to the family, ect. Try not to say things like "now we are going to practice writing" because that just sets them off running. Simply say "I need your help" or "hey, look what I can do!" and see if he follows along.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:15 PM

Thanks a bunch. Your suggestions are superb. Never thought alongs those lines, but now that you've explained it, I feel confident that they will work b/c of the fun involved with these activities. I will put these in action asap. Once again thank you so much.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,641,607 times
I found that my son who is uninterested in writing LOVES to make my weekly shopping list so he gets a chance to write on the whiteboard in the kitchen. Of course his shopping "lists" mainly consist of ice cream and Oreos, but hey, he's writing!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:17 AM

Well what ever works :-). From today, will have my son do the same. Maybe only 1 -2 of what he lists will come home every week but I guess will provide an incentive for him to keep writing.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 PM

15 posts, read 75,011 times
I agree wholeheartedly with Windsorslp. Your child sounds like he is progressing fabulously. I would try to engage him naturally.

Writing notes back and forth is a wonderful example. Possibly have a secret spot where you leave notes to one another. My children loved this. Also, purchase some window markers and write on the glass. My children also love the paper that is blank on the top half with lines on the bottom; this gives them an opportunity to illustrate a story. Work with your child on their own scrapbook or photo album and allow them to add captions to the photos.

I have also noticed that my children are more likely to write if they see me writing. Simply sitting at the kitchen table and writing in a journal or a to-do list is great role-modeling.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,551,286 times
I think I saw somewhere the University of GA Center for Continuing Education was offering summer reading and writing classes for kids (K and up) locally throughout the Atlanta area. I am almost positive these were being offered on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: