Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 AM

472 posts, read 854,889 times

Advertisements

Quality of life survey rates Gwinnett high, Clayton low *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:34 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,939 times
The parks in Gwinnett Country are some of the best in the Nation. Now if we just continue the momentum in ridding the county of illegals.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Why am I not surprised that illegal immigration would pop up within the first 5 posts? Though has anyone calculated the number to begin with in the county and what is the decrease the last three years?

Also isn't one of the things that will happen is the appearance of a high-density area in the county somewhere? My guess is around Pleasant Hill/85 intersection.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Gwinnett is OK but not as good as Cobb is. As for Clayton, it is a rat hole. Nobody in their right mind would live in that crap hole out there. Their schools lost accreditation and now the dolts even lost their bus service!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 AM

472 posts, read 854,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Gwinnett is OK but not as good as Cobb is. As for Clayton, it is a rat hole. Nobody in their right mind would live in that crap hole out there. Their schools lost accreditation and now the dolts even lost their bus service!
Gwinnett is awesome! It has way more to offer than Cobb. There are some parts of Gwinnett I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, but I can say that about Cobb as well.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,939 times
I think Gwinnett is better than CObb because is it has WAY MORE to offer. And Cobb has some not so nice areas - as well as Gwinnett

Old 04-05-2010, 03:48 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I think Gwinnett is better than CObb because is it has WAY MORE to offer. And Cobb has some not so nice areas - as well as Gwinnett
I live in Cobb and recognize it has weaknesses, but I'm curious what "way more" might entail.

I mean, Cobb has Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park and related environs, the head of the Silver Comet Trail, a nice covered bridge, Sweetwater Creek State Park as well as various parks along the Chattahoochie River, proximity to Buckhead plus its own decent restaurant districts, the Barnes Amphitheatre and the Cobb Energy Center, etc. Six Flags and Six Flags Whitewater for those that like such things, etc. And the Big Chicken!

I've heard that Gwinnett has excellent schools. What else?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:10 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I live in Cobb and recognize it has weaknesses, but I'm curious what "way more" might entail.

I mean, Cobb has Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park and related environs, the head of the Silver Comet Trail, a nice covered bridge, Sweetwater Creek State Park as well as various parks along the Chattahoochie River, proximity to Buckhead plus its own decent restaurant districts, the Barnes Amphitheatre and the Cobb Energy Center, etc. Six Flags and Six Flags Whitewater for those that like such things, etc. And the Big Chicken!

I've heard that Gwinnett has excellent schools. What else?
Honestly, I, and most people see more similarities than differences between Cobb and Gwinnett. Cobb County is really great, and I in fact like it. However, apparently you haven't ventured over here in awhile, because there is more than just excellent schools. We have the Gwinnett Arena and Convention Center as well as the Hudgens Center for the Performing Arts. Also, there is the new Coolray Stadium for the Gwinnett Braves. We have three very different malls, including Discover Mills that contains a Dave & Busters as well as Medieval Times. There are over 10,000 acres of parks, far exceeding any metro county in Atlanta. Also, in 2008 that parks system was ranked as the number one system in the country. In addition and worth mention, are the amazing new downtowns of Lawrenceville, Suwanee, Norcross, Lilburn, Duluth, and Lilburn that been revitalized and are hugely successful. That just begins to say what we are truly blessed with here. Maybe you should venture over here sometime, you might like it.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Medieval Times? I've been there.

Okay, you win.

Seriously, no, I've mainly driven through the county, but rarely spent any time there, but I'm over here on the west side of the metro and I've only been down here for five years. Sounds like I need to get out a little and explore.

Other than Medieval Times, though, the "way more" bit sounds like that Miami guy saying the Miami metro has way more people than Atlanta metro. What, like five?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
As one who lived in Gwinnett (1986 to 1992) and whose sister lived and taught public school there from 1984 to 1996, I want to offer an opinion, as I usually do on subjects where I have knowledge.

Gwinnett has changed a bunch in the last 18 years. Some changes have been good...and others not so good. The Gwinnett Center and associated sporting and cultural events are great. The massive concrete jungles by Gwinnett Place and the Mall of GA are not so good.

The Asian immigration near Gwinnett Place is a welcome addition as that usually means an influx of hard working immigrants who want to educate their children and better their community. The third world country popping up along JCB and Indian Trail in Norcross....not so much. There is a difference between legal and illegal immigration. Nuff said on that.

As for Cobb...I have only lived here 2.5 years and never really came out here when I lived in Atlanta the first go around. I do think the housing stock in Cobb is generally better than Gwinnett. I think the county is a touch better managed, although Gwinnett has always been a well run county. The biggest difference for me is that Cobb has maintained a touch more of greenery and less of that concrete jungle feel. Cobb has trees in the medians along many of the divided roads. In Gwinnett, you mainly get a patch of grass in the middle of the road for the median. I just think Cobb has a little more class overall than Gwinnett....call me a snob if you want to...but that's my perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta