Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:33 PM

13 posts, read 69,263 times

Advertisements

I am a 29 yr old single african american female, moving from Phx, AZ with my 2 small children to Ga. I want to move there for the culture and opportunity. My cousin who is also sngl mom, is moving with me. I've never been and she has. One of my son's has special needs and I need some suggestions on great schools. Right now I have housing assistance (Section 8), but in Phx I still live in a great neighborhood and my son attends a great school. I am also a college student, just trying to make a better life for us. Plz give me ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS. GOD BLESS..... P.S. WHAT IS THERE TO GET INTO IN GA...WE WERE LOOKING AT FULTON COUNTY, DEKALB COUNTY ETC. NOT SURE...SO PLZ WRITE ME THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 05:47 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Thumbs up Contact the school systems

Metro Atlanta is comprised of several counties: Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton, Gwinnett and several others

You might find affordable, safe housing and the services you need for you son in Gwinnett county--north of Atlanta. Click 'Search' at the top of the page enter Keywords such as: 'Lawrenceville' or 'Duluth'

>>>A recent city-data thread on Lawrenceville>>>>
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...eville-ga.html

There is a 4 yr college in this area also: Georgia Gwinnett College>>>
Georgia Gwinnett College High Tech, Four-year Institution Gwinnett County (http://www.ggc.usg.edu/about.college.php - broken link)

take care

sls

Old 05-30-2007, 05:58 PM

Thanks So Much, I Will Check Into That.....

Old 05-30-2007, 07:06 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Georgia has a pretty crummy track record for kids with special needs -- and I am not at all confident that you can find Section 8 housing in a good school district, though you might be get lucky.

Less than 1/2 of all students with disabilities actually earn a high school diploma in Georgia. If you are getting good services where you are, I would reconsider this move.

Georgia is also not generous with social services and has made insuring children much more difficult in the last 12 months, should you need government provided insurance for your child. How significant are his/her disabilities?

Old 06-10-2007, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,259 times
Thumbs up {Dido} African American, Single mom, to special needs in GA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieface28 View Post
I am a 29 yr old single african american female, moving from Phx, AZ with my 2 small children to Ga. I want to move there for the culture and opportunity. My cousin who is also sngl mom, is moving with me. I've never been and she has. One of my son's has special needs and I need some suggestions on great schools. Right now I have housing assistance (Section 8), but in Phx I still live in a great neighborhood and my son attends a great school. I am also a college student, just trying to make a better life for us. Plz give me ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS. GOD BLESS..... P.S. WHAT IS THERE TO GET INTO IN GA...WE WERE LOOKING AT FULTON COUNTY, DEKALB COUNTY ETC. NOT SURE...SO PLZ WRITE ME THANKS
I read your quote and I had to reply. I am 28 and have been living in Ga since 92 off and on. I have lived in Clayton, South Fulton, and Henry counties. I have a 6yr old male child with Down Syndrome. As the situation stands I am at ends wit with henry county school system. They are not equipped for special need children (lacking qualified and creative staff). I had to hire an advocate for his iep last month due to them trying to put him in a more severe class because he is not responding to the teachers. Well come to find out the speech pat. doesn't know sign language, and this is what he was responding to in south fulton cty. So since we've been in henry cty he has showed a regression (definitely not what I want). I recommend South fulton cty the school system and teachers love what they do,do it well and it shows. I am getting things together for him to get on the sb10 it passed last month, where if the parents with special need children are not satisfied with the education they are receiving in public school the govn't will award a grant for private school, but the child would have had to been in a Ga public school for at least 1 school yr. My recommendations would be South Fulton cty (Union City, Fairburn), Cobb cty Marietta, Windy hill area really any of Cobb, or Fayetteville. Cobb cty is the #1 school district in Ga, majority of their teachers acquire PhD's.
I wish you grace and blessings on your new endevour. If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to write. God Bless!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Section 8 housing with kids topic.

You may find this thread of interest: https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...tml#post824185

Old 06-11-2007, 01:45 PM

218 posts, read 1,188,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaandemmanuel View Post
I read your quote and I had to reply. I am 28 and have been living in Ga since 92 off and on. I have lived in Clayton, South Fulton, and Henry counties. I have a 6yr old male child with Down Syndrome. As the situation stands I am at ends wit with henry county school system. They are not equipped for special need children (lacking qualified and creative staff). I had to hire an advocate for his iep last month due to them trying to put him in a more severe class because he is not responding to the teachers. Well come to find out the speech pat. doesn't know sign language, and this is what he was responding to in south fulton cty. So since we've been in henry cty he has showed a regression (definitely not what I want). I recommend South fulton cty the school system and teachers love what they do,do it well and it shows. I am getting things together for him to get on the sb10 it passed last month, where if the parents with special need children are not satisfied with the education they are receiving in public school the govn't will award a grant for private school, but the child would have had to been in a Ga public school for at least 1 school yr. My recommendations would be South Fulton cty (Union City, Fairburn), Cobb cty Marietta, Windy hill area really any of Cobb, or Fayetteville. Cobb cty is the #1 school district in Ga, majority of their teachers acquire PhD's.
I wish you grace and blessings on your new endevour. If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to write. God Bless!

I am sorry you had so much trouble with Henry County; I taught there for one year and left because I also felt like they did not go above and beyond to meet the needs of the children who had special needs.
In somewhat defending them, and as sad as it is, many school systems are facing astronomical growth, and they are trying to keep up with the hiring highly qualified teachers for the amount of kids that are moving here. A small but steadily fast growing county like Henry County is struggling with even finding quality regular education teachers. And, considering Special Education is a critical shortage area, it is even harder to find Special Education teachers that actually stick with it. Many I know go back into the regular classroom. So, it does not surprise me that Henry County did not accommodate your needs.

For section 8 purposes, your best bets would probably be in South Fulton (Fairburn and Union City) because there is no section 8 I know of anywhere in Fayette County. Now, schools there? They are okay if you can deal with the North Fulton/South Fulton thing. I don't know about Cobb being the #1 school district in Georgia, I know they are 2nd LARGEST school district in Georgia behind Gwinnett County.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:54 PM

Smile response from single mom from phx to ga

Thanks so much, this really really helps,plz keep in touch with me. thanks again.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaandemmanuel View Post

Old 06-13-2007, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the info,,, I will definetly check out the areas mentioned from everyone... I am excited about this new start with my kids, and need to be sure we are in a safe and affordable area...where great school systems for me is a must.....God Bless...plz feel free to give any and all suggestions..Thank you again

Old 06-13-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Reply from single mom moving

Wow, I read all the inputs in the thread...however, I am a different person with different accomplishents and goals. I am not one who has been on assistance all my life and that's all I want in life. I know where I come from and where I am headed. I would never relocate without savings and so forth. However, my children and I will be fine....my kids come from first, so I must have decent employment when arriving, I am aware of that. I consider myself pretty bright with some higher level education, & with God all things are possible. Thank you for giving me another perspective, but I just did not want to be looked at as a loser because I have housing assistance. However, the woman that I am, will not allow anything to discourage me from success. God Bless u
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Section 8 housing with kids topic.
You may find this thread of interest: https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...tml#post824185
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta