Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 10:02 PM

16 posts, read 106,865 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am a 24 year old incoming graduate/medical student at Emory. I'll be moving from NYC and am wondering about apartments, housing, etc. I have no qualms paying upwards of 2500/month for an apartment and am open to all areas. I am straight, white, Jewish and single if that has any bearing on neighborhood. In NYC I tend to "hang" with a "trendy" crowd. I've been thinking Buckhead -- ie Paramount and Buckhead Grand; however, have no clue of the demographics. Basically, I'd like to live amongst my peers age wise because I know no one in ATL. Additionally, where would I want to go out, etc. in the area? Any input is appreciated. Also, any thoughts on POST Briarcliff? I hear it's the place for Emory medical...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,484 times
Ha, with 2500 a month you could rent a castle here. Buckhead is very trendy but it tends to be a little older. The younger crowd is more in Midtown. Don't get me wrong, there are younger people in Buckhead but it isn't really the place to be anymore. Post Briarcliff is a nice community, lots of Emory students. I think what you heard was right. Check this thread for more info on the Post chain: https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...roperties.html.

Personally I would suggest renting a condo in one of the upscale buildings in Midtown. The upscale buildings in Buckhead tend to have a little older median age.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:31 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
I would not live in Buckhead if I were an Emory student. Too much traffic, and it really doesn't offer anything you can't find in other parts of town.

I'd pick Downtown Decatur, Virginia-Highlands or Midtown (as close to Piedmont Park as possible...some areas that are considered Midtown are hellholes, primarily the intersection of Ponce de Leon and Monroe). The main hassle of living in Atlanta is traffic. Emory is very easy to get to from these areas, particularly Va-Highland and Decatur.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I would not live in Buckhead if I were an Emory student. Too much traffic, and it really doesn't offer anything you can't find in other parts of town.

I'd pick Downtown Decatur, Virginia-Highlands or Midtown (as close to Piedmont Park as possible...some areas that are considered Midtown are hellholes, primarily the intersection of Ponce de Leon and Monroe). The main hassle of living in Atlanta is traffic. Emory is very easy to get to from these areas, particularly Va-Highland and Decatur.
Do you know the names of any buildings in the downtown Decatur and Midtown area (close to Piedmont Park)? I looked at Spire, Metropolis, Twelve... All of which were very nice but I assumed (perhaps wrongfully) that it was quite the trek to Emory...

Old 05-25-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenyc007 View Post
Do you know the names of any buildings in the downtown Decatur and Midtown area (close to Piedmont Park)? I looked at Spire, Metropolis, Twelve... All of which were very nice but I assumed (perhaps wrongfully) that it was quite the trek to Emory...
10-15 minute drive from those buildings (Twelve Atlantic Station can be a harder to get to form Emory, beware there are two Twelves). Buildings in Decatur and a lot of buildings near Piedmont Park are smaller and remain mostly nameless. I know, it makes it harder.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
10-15 minute drive from those buildings (Twelve Atlantic Station can be a harder to get to form Emory, beware there are two Twelves). Buildings in Decatur and a lot of buildings near Piedmont Park are smaller and remain mostly nameless. I know, it makes it harder.
Thank you! For clarification, the 10-15 min drive from Spire/Metropolis to Emory is 1) to the medical school (not Grady) and 2) what about morning/evening "rush?" I'll probably want to be there @ 830-9am and leave around 5pm...

Old 05-25-2007, 08:36 AM

10-15 minutes is to the main Emory campus where the med school is. Until recently I lived right near Post Briarcliff and had to commute to GA Tech (just past Midtown). It never took more then 20 minutes regardless of the time of day, construction or accidents. It almost always took me between 10 and 15 minutes. Evening rush is the worse of the two but if you know what roads and lanes to avoid it isn't bad at all. The only time it might take you longer is Friday evening (horrendous traffic in Atlanta on Friday afternoon/evening).

Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb11355 View Post
I have a 3 bdrm condo across from the Emory Claremont entrance. One of the rooms is available Interested?
Walk to school. Very safe area.
Seriously? That post is 2 years old. Read the date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta