Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:03 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,246,054 times

Advertisements

Well, we spent 6 days in the Buford/Dacula area. It was nice. It seemed a little far out for me (that's just my opinion). I feel bummed out that I didn't give the other side of Atlanta a chance (Kennesaw, etc.). We didn't even make it over there. However, we will be coming back around March. Still planning to relocate. Is Kennesaw more populated, more to do for kids? Aside from the Mall of Georgia (in Buford), I felt like the area (Buford/Dacula) was a lot of country roads and old town stores. Is Kennesaw like this or more built up?
Would we fit in a good area (in Kennesaw) with our price range?
We are looking in the 225k (or below) price range.
Safe area/Low crime. Great schools. Family friendly (with lots to do).

Can someone help me out? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 03:28 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,774 times
If you are looking for a wall-to-wall built up area you will probably have to go closer to Altanta. However, even the older suburbs and areas will have areas with two lane roads and more "country" looking areas. You will generally not find completely built up suburbs with the 4 or 6 lane grid roads like in Florida - that's just the character of metro Atlanta. I haven't been to Kennesaw in years but I think that it is similar to Buford, maybe even less built up.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:41 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
If you are looking for a wall-to-wall built up area you will probably have to go closer to Altanta. However, even the older suburbs and areas will have areas with two lane roads and more "country" looking areas. You will generally not find completely built up suburbs with the 4 or 6 lane grid roads like in Florida - that's just the character of metro Atlanta. I haven't been to Kennesaw in years but I think that it is similar to Buford, maybe even less built up.

No, Kennesaw is not similar to Buford. It's very built up now.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Well, we spent 6 days in the Buford/Dacula area. It was nice. It seemed a little far out for me (that's just my opinion). I feel bummed out that I didn't give the other side of Atlanta a chance (Kennesaw, etc.). We didn't even make it over there. However, we will be coming back around March. Still planning to relocate. Is Kennesaw more populated, more to do for kids? Aside from the Mall of Georgia (in Buford), I felt like the area (Buford/Dacula) was a lot of country roads and old town stores. Is Kennesaw like this or more built up?
Would we fit in a good area (in Kennesaw) with our price range?

I think you would find exactly what you are looking for in Kennesaw. It meets your criteria very well.

But, remember...Kennesaw covers a large area. There is the city of Kennesaw (incorporated) and then the large area that has a Kennesaw address.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:57 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,782 times
You have a better chance of finding affordable housing in Buford than in over-built Kennesaw. As for the school system, Buford sits in two counties - Gwinnett and Hall, so you need to look at data from them both to make an informed decision.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:59 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No, Kennesaw is not similar to Buford. It's very built up now.
I'm surprised. I had always remembered Kennesaw being more "country," but then again, I haven't been there in a while...

Old 12-12-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I'm surprised. I had always remembered Kennesaw being more "country," but then again, I haven't been there in a while...

I was surprised myself...I spent a lot of time there in 2008--it wasn't too long ago that it was very country. It's pretty much built out now...similar to East Cobb.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:04 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post

What kind of housing are you seeking in that price range? If you're willing to buy a 20+ year old house, you can get good value for your dollar in parts of highly-regarded East Cobb. If you're looking to purchase a brand new home then you need to be further out.

If a new home is your objective, I suggest you add Cherokee county to your list of areas to consider. Cherokee residents who are active here on C-D seem very enthusiastic about their nice new homes, super subdivision amenities, friendly neighbors and excellent schools. Town centers in Cherokee include Woodstock, Holly Springs and Canton.

However, you would find some country roads in Cherokee. If you want a more established area, parts of Cobb county would be more likely to suit.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:29 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
I lived in Kennesaw for 5 years and now have lived in the Buford areafor 7 years (originally from Canada). We liked both. Like Kennesaw area -- there is the town of Buford and then there is the surrounding area. The schools are fine.

Both areas are about the same miles from downtown. I prefer the drive on I85 to Midtown Atlanta. I have two kids at Tech and it takes me about 35-40 minutes to get to Midtown.

I also like that at the schools, in the community, we have met people who have lived in this area all their lives. In Kennesaw NOBODY we met was from the area -- everywhere but. Don't know why it gives me comfort to meet so many locals but it does.

There is as much to do in the 'Buford' area as there is in the Kennesaw area. The Town of Suwanee is just next door and is always voted one of the top towns to live in. We live just outside of Suwanee, pay less taxes and get to use all their amenities (park, town center area, etc.). Kennesaw has 41 that is a nightmare to drive, Buford has 20.....Kennesaw has Town Center, Buford had Mall of Georgia. I find it quicker to get to Perimeter and Lennox living out here in Buford.

Downtown Buford has great restaurants -- better than what was in Kennesaw or Acworth when I lived there (granted it has been 7 years). Check out reviews for Aquaterra.

Both areas are great and provide similar lifestyles.

You can find housing in both areas to suit your tastes.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:54 PM

60 posts, read 145,795 times
Kennesaw doesn't have nearly as much traffic as Buford. The number of facilities are pretty much the same but the Buford area has become another version of Spaghetti Junction at this point.

Both areas have a ton of restaurants and low taxes. Kennesaw has very good schools. I would rank Walton, Pope and Hillgrove as the three best high schools in Cobb County.

Acworth now has a ton of restaurants that are within a half mile of each other. The entire area was given millions from outside developers and the Feds, and it's rapidly becoming one of the best areas to live. They also have a nearby beach, Lake Allatoona, and Red Top Mountain within easy reach along with all the shopping conveniences you would want or need. I-75 is within easy access as well.

If it were me, I would look near the Hillgrove area. Echo Mill and Oakleigh are very nice developments. If you would prefer an older and quieter neighborhood, there are literally dozens to choose from. Kemp Elementary is a Georgia School of Excellence, and you literally have several theatres, bookstores, and family events within a ten minute drive. My wife was able to keep the kids occupied for the entire summer without having to spend any real money due to all the free activities. The Krogers have organic food (we also have a few in town farmer markets). Crime is extremely low, and I-20 along with I-75 are within fairly easy access if you absolutely need to commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta