Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 PM

5 posts, read 17,389 times

Advertisements

My employer just told me I have been relocated to Atlanta, with a report date of mid November. I have 5 weeks to find a new place to live. I am currently on a large lake in VA (Smith Mountain Lake) and I have a 21.5' walleye fishing boat (62mph).

I worked my whole life to be able to afford a place on a lake with good fishing, so I hate to leave my current lakefront home but I have no choice. My only consolation is to try to find a waterfront home on a lake outside of Atlanta with good fishing that is big enough for my lake. Oh, and most important, I need to be able to commute to mid town Atlanta within an hour max.

Can anyone tell me what options I have. I have done a little research and it seems I am limited to Alltoona or Lanier. I have only been able to do a quick drive by Lanier and while it is certainly big enough, I didn't see much in terms of local conveniences (i.e.: shopping, restaurants, CVS, etc).

I am really in a bind, wife is freaking out...I need help!!! Pros/cons of Alltoona vs Lanier? Major factors I need to consider are the neighborhoods, local convenience, commute time, deep water (I understand both lakes suffer greatly in terms of water fluctuations) and fishing quality.

Thanks so much for any help!

Last edited by Rich13; 10-07-2009 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,253,668 times
The only way you can commute from either Allatoona or Lanier is to work seriously non-rush hours. Both places are easily 1-1.5 hours away in traffic, and if it's raining or a Friday or football weekend or something, you can expect longer.

If you can get to work early and leave early, then you might be able to do it. But your 1 hour max criteria really yields this two lakes too far away for you to consider.

But, you don't care about possibly having a 1.5 hour commute, then I would say Allatoona will likely have less expensive homes, though Lanier area is more developed and closer to greater amenities.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:18 PM

288 posts, read 543,040 times
Not familar with altoona.

I will say that the west side of lanier near cumming would have more development/shops/retail than the eastside.

And the westside of lanier would use GA 400 which has lots of traffic, but it would be free of the out of state pass through traffic on interstate 75/85 from up north.

That would be my choice.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Residential development on Lake Allatoona is very limited (although what is there is quite nice), as most of the lake frontage is public land. Lanier would have a much greater variety of housing stock.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:17 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,073 times
Neither Allatoona nor Lanier would be within 1 hr commute to Midtown. Like another poster said, you're looking at 1.5 hrs each way. Lake Allatoona is large and stretches into Cobb and Cherokee County. The cheapest houses would be in Woodstock which is in Cherokee. Lake Lanier is in Forsyth County, the city is Cumming. But you're going to have to make a choice, either live closer to work and just tow your boat to the lake, or live on the lake and have a very lengthy commute.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,232 times
Do you have kids? Are schools an issue? If not, I'm wondering if it's worth renting an apartment near your office during the week and then spending your weekends at the lake of your choice. May make life a whole lot easier. Of course it all depends on so much, including your budget, but there are other ways to skin a cat so may be worth a consideration. The traffic here during the week is pretty bad so the last thing you want is to ruin your fishing time by yelling at the guy in the next lane on your way home!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 PM

16,691 posts, read 29,511,067 times
There is also Jackson Lake/Lake Jackson in the far southern Atlanta suburbs. Good commute, only 44 miles from Downtown/Midtown. It's often "off the radar" of many Atlantans. May be exactly what you are looking for.
Check it out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_jackson_GA

Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,253,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
There is also Jackson Lake/Lake Jackson in the far southern Atlanta suburbs. Good commute, only 44 miles from Downtown/Midtown. It's often "off the radar" of many Atlantans. May be exactly what you are looking for.
Check it out...

Lake Jackson (Georgia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's not going to be 1 hour max from/to Midtown.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:48 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,173 times
lanier hands down. allatoona is like a pond in comparison and lacks boating fun big time

Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM

16,691 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
That's not going to be 1 hour max from/to Midtown.
Coming from the southside (great access to Downtown/Midtown, less traffic), it could be pretty close.

Remember, it takes about 1 hour 15 minutes to go from Atlanta to Macon.

Plus, it's another (often forgotten) alternative to Lanier and Allatoona...it think more people should be looking the direction of Lake Jackson.

Last edited by aries4118; 10-09-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta