Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:18 AM

14 posts, read 39,079 times

Advertisements

Pulmcc, just read through your thread and we are in a similar situation except we are relocating in two months to Atlanta from Connecticut. We're considering East Cobb and I was curious if you had to make an appointment before visiting these schools or you could just show up and ask for a meeting with a guidance counselor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 07:38 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,530,719 times
Okay here is my take on East Cobb schools. We looked at all three high schools. I dilligently did my homework and thought a lot about attitudes, student body etc. We ended up choosing a home in the Pope district...though Lassiter would also have been a good choice. It wasn't all about home prices for us. I want my kids to go to a school with a student body made up of people from families that are striving to be better. Many or maybe the majority of the students at Walton are from wealthy families. Pope and Lassiter are more of a mix...some upper middle class, some middle class and some blue collar. Families of many walks of life striving for a better future.

This may not be the case but sometimes when you are the best you stop trying.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 AM

21 posts, read 79,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CToGA View Post
Pulmcc, just read through your thread and we are in a similar situation except we are relocating in two months to Atlanta from Connecticut. We're considering East Cobb and I was curious if you had to make an appointment before visiting these schools or you could just show up and ask for a meeting with a guidance counselor.
We actually have never visited any of the schools although we have driven by Lassiter a few times. I emailed Walton and called Pope while my wife called Lassiter just to get the info on where graduates attend college. We may try to visit the schools at some point so let me know how it goes. Walton and Pope do have school profiles that are somewhat helpful.

Walton: http://waltonhigh.org/files/filesystem/Walton%20HS%20profile%20-%202009-2010.pdf (broken link)

Pope: http://popehs.typepad.com/guidancede...e_20082009.pdf

Lassiter: Never did find it.

Another potentially helpful site is Atlanta Real Estate-Atlanta Homes for Sale-REMAX Georgia-Alpharetta GA (http://www.atlantapros.com/Nav.aspx/Page=%2fPageManager%2fDefault.aspx%3fP%3d355683 - broken link)

Old 10-02-2009, 12:46 PM

14 posts, read 39,079 times
Thanks for the info pulmcc. I'm set to visit GA in a few weeks and will visit these and some other schools so I will let you know my experiences.

Kaday/RainyRainyDay, since you guys live in the area, do you know approximately how long it would take to commute from the Walton/Pope/Lassiter/Wheeler districts to Buckhead/Northside Hospital? And what do you guys think of the elementary schools in the area? They all seem to test very highly so any intangibles you guys can offer would be highly appreciated.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:52 PM

45 posts, read 140,525 times
pulm-
My recommendation is Dickerson/Walton. I am also a NY transplant now living in E Cobb, also in healthcare (welcome!!). The elementary schools that feed Dickerson may send kids to Dickerson that are more like-minded to you/your family than the ones that feed Dodgen. Apologies if that sounds politically incorrect, and I want to be sensitive while sharing demographics, but if religion/sociocultural issues are a factor for you, there is probably a higher population of jewish and asian kids at Dickerson/Walton. Also, if I recall correctly (I may be wrong), some of the Dodgen kids go to Walton and some to Pope. Pope does block scheduling, which many people do not like (fewer classes per semseter, longer hours per class, complete a course in 1 semester).

While Dickerson is probably the weakest of the Mt. Bethel/Dickerson/Walton school trio, it is still a good school, and this trio makes for a good resale value for your home down the road.

I have friends whose kids chose to attend the Wheeler magnet program rather than Walton and have had mixed feelings about that decision.

We moved from a weaker school district to this school district, but our kids were already in private school so we left them there. Hope this helps!! Where in NY are you relocating from?

Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jym626 View Post
pulm-
My recommendation is Dickerson/Walton. I am also a NY transplant now living in E Cobb, also in healthcare (welcome!!). The elementary schools that feed Dickerson may send kids to Dickerson that are more like-minded to you/your family than the ones that feed Dodgen. Apologies if that sounds politically incorrect, and I want to be sensitive while sharing demographics, but if religion/sociocultural issues are a factor for you, there is probably a higher population of jewish and asian kids at Dickerson/Walton. Also, if I recall correctly (I may be wrong), some of the Dodgen kids go to Walton and some to Pope. Pope does block scheduling, which many people do not like (fewer classes per semseter, longer hours per class, complete a course in 1 semester).

While Dickerson is probably the weakest of the Mt. Bethel/Dickerson/Walton school trio, it is still a good school, and this trio makes for a good resale value for your home down the road.

I have friends whose kids chose to attend the Wheeler magnet program rather than Walton and have had mixed feelings about that decision.

We moved from a weaker school district to this school district, but our kids were already in private school so we left them there. Hope this helps!! Where in NY are you relocating from?
Actually there is a large active population that attend Hightower, my neighborhood is about half Jewish families. The JCC is just down the street.

I believe Pope got rid of its block scheduling this year. I don't think that is an issue anymore.

Elementary schools...I was looking for a smaller school...we came from a MA school with about 350 kids. I have to say I was pleased with all the schools with the exception of Sope Creek. My favorites were Tritt, Murdock and Timber Ridge. I did like Shallowford Falls too but can't remember why I put it in the yes column! Tritt has some interesting programs like a family class were kids can stay with their group all through elementary school. Timber Ridge was sized right and I loved the principal. We ended up at Murdock because they had just put on a fantastic addition on with a science lab, art and music room. Also they offered Spanish instruction for all grade levels. They have invested in the latest classroom tech (smart boards etc.). The music instructor is getting a doctorate and just amazing with the kids. My kids are musical so I love this. The principal is excellent.

I think you really can't go wrong with any of the elemntary schools here. Being from the Northeast I was very skeptical about schools here. I truly believe they are on par or better than in the Tri state area or MA.

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:58 PM

The JCC near Dodgen isn't the more active of the 2 centers (the big main one is in Dunwoody). Most of the E Cobb synagogues are in the Mt Bethel/Dickerson/Walton area. Dodgen isnt bad, I just feel Dickerson is better. Dodgen had some issues with skinheads and antisemitism a year or 2 back, if I recall correctly. I am also surprised to hear that you didnt like Sope Creek. It is one of the most desirable elementary schools in E Cobb, followed probably by Mt. Bethel and Timber Ridge.

If Pope did away with block scheduling (hadn't heard that) that woud be a good thing.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The JCC near Dodgen isn't the more active of the 2 centers (the big main one is in Dunwoody). Most of the E Cobb synagogues are in the Mt Bethel/Dickerson/Walton area. Dodgen isnt bad, I just feel Dickerson is better. Dodgen had some issues with skinheads and antisemitism a year or 2 back, if I recall correctly. I am also surprised to hear that you didnt like Sope Creek. It is one of the most desirable elementary schools in E Cobb, followed probably by Mt. Bethel and Timber Ridge.

If Pope did away with block scheduling (hadn't heard that) that woud be a good thing.
They did get rid of block scheduling.

I really did not like Sope Creek. One of the administartors actually asked me if I was holding my child back (summer birthday) becuase I couldn't let go of my baby. It was annoying to say the least. The school is overcrowded. The office staff seemed very disorganized. I did like Mt Bethel as well but I think I may have intially ruled it out because of its size...I am not sure though...its been a few years now.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:10 PM

That is a shame that someone said something insensitive. Sope Creek is a good school, but part feeds to E Cobb MS, which many dont want, so the kids then go off to private school.

As an aside, it is no longer generally recommended to retain a child in school NASP Position Statement on Grade Retention .

Old 10-02-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
That is a shame that someone said something insensitive. Sope Creek is a good school, but part feeds to E Cobb MS, which many dont want, so the kids then go off to private school.

As an aside, it is no longer generally recommended to retain a child in school NASP Position Statement on Grade Retention .
My "baby" has dyslexia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta