Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:28 AM

23,558 posts, read 44,258,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I agree.It would be nice but if not,thats his right.People that don't like it should not support him.
Right. And $$$$ gives him the freedom to pursue other dreams (like a state of the art studio).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,840,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Both, maybe? Success is nothing to be ashamed of.
You don't have to tell me that success is nothing to be ashamed of. I know that already. But he was successful before he started with films.

The only point I'm trying to make is that he seems to be losing some of his original fan base. The people who supported his work when nobody had even heard of the name Tyler Perry.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,840,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I don't know; were pretty much it for black inteligence in Atlanta.There are no smart black people outside of Atlanta,I checked.I know you said you plan to move here.See you're smarter already.
Lol I don't remember saying that I planned on moving there. It is a possible option, though.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:58 AM

23,558 posts, read 44,258,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
How about Jamie Foxx(who by the way is so major right now), Martin Lawrence, Keenan Ivory Wayans, Marlon Wayans, Shawn Wayans...I could go on
Did you misread her post? I've seen all the men that you name in drag at one time or another.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,363,594 times
I personally have grown tired of Tyler Perry movies because it became so predictable. I thought Madea was over done and he needed to let her go already. I went to see this new movie and it was great. Although Madea was in it her role wasnt even major. I am very proud that TP is stepping out of that same ol same ol routine and stepping his game waaaaaayyyyyy up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus the new movies he has on the way will no doubt be great I cant wait to see them!!!!!!! He has teamed up with Oprah for this one!! I read this book in highschool so I cant wait to see his version on screen
Precious trailers and video clips on Yahoo! Movies
He is alos doing why did I get married 2 and I forgot the other that is coming out this year as well......And guess what no Madea. So Kudos to TP!!!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,363,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Did you misread her post? I've seen all the men that you name in drag at one time or another.
lol yea I did!!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:29 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,628,515 times
No I don't think he can pull it off, especially since he'll be adapting the screenplay. I think he's demonstrated repeatedly that he has no concept of metaphor, nuance or really anything pertaining to literature or filmmaking at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
I'm curious.

Those of you who highly dislike TP, what are your thoughts about him directing the film adaptation of For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf?

He's made an attempt at directing a more serious movie with The Family That Preys (I thought it was decent...dragged on, but it wasn't bad). Do you think he'll be able to pull off For Colored Girls?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:30 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,628,515 times
All he's doing for Precious (Praise be to God) is promotion. He did not direct or adapt the screenplay. I'm not crazy about the book, but what the heck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
I personally have grown tired of Tyler Perry movies because it became so predictable. I thought Madea was over done and he needed to let her go already. I went to see this new movie and it was great. Although Madea was in it her role wasnt even major. I am very proud that TP is stepping out of that same ol same ol routine and stepping his game waaaaaayyyyyy up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus the new movies he has on the way will no doubt be great I cant wait to see them!!!!!!! He has teamed up with Oprah for this one!! I read this book in highschool so I cant wait to see his version on screen
Precious trailers and video clips on Yahoo! Movies
He is alos doing why did I get married 2 and I forgot the other that is coming out this year as well......And guess what no Madea. So Kudos to TP!!!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:27 PM

374 posts, read 1,126,972 times
Look, Tyler Perry broke through barriers that other black filmmakers were not able to break through. You can say all you want to against him, but look at his success and all that he had to go through to get there. Doors were closed to Tyler Perry even when his plays were popular across the country. I love his shows and his movies, as a matter of fact I'm watchin a House of Payne rerun right now as I type. Truthfully his material is about the best thing on TV now, Im tired of these same ole reality tv shows with the same formula on television. Now that is getting old and predictable. To me that is whats killing television. Why no one brought that up? Do you call these shows creativity, like Real Chance of Love or anything else on VH1 or MTV?

Yes I feel the Madea films are becoming predictable, but so is alot of what is being produced in Hollywood right now. I mean is Final Destination not predictable? Hollywood needs to step their game up and come out with new material plain and simple. Tyler Perry is not Hollywood. He beat Hollywood at its own game by having a target audience and producing plays and films for THEM and THEM ONLY, is it his fault that he broke through barriers and others outside his target demographic are watching his movies as well? Yes I feel TP needs some new material, but so does alot of other filmmakers as well.

Im an aspiring filmmaker and I feel there needs to be more opportunity for indie filmmakers who are having difficulty finding investors, financing, and distribution. I mean the whole thought of asking family members for money, creating business plans for investors and coming up with money to produce a film just to enter it in a film festival is getting played out to me. Tyler Perry showed filmmakers another approach to making quality films and I will always be grateful for that..... To add to that Tyler Perry set the bar for black playwriters who were used to writing the same ole mama burnt the biscuit plays...

Old 09-16-2009, 01:12 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,731,914 times
House of Payne sucks...the laugh track...annoying father...annoying lil girl...

Now, Meet The Browns. That can get a few chuckles out of me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta