Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 12:22 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,466 times

Advertisements

my future roomate and i have been contemplating a move to the atlanta area for a few months now. She will mostly likely work in kennesaw and i would like to work for the same company as she. However, we are both coming from a city up north and we still want to be close to the city. So after doing some research, we have both settled on the sandy springs/dunwoody or doraville/chamblee area. How are the commute times for these places to Kennesaw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
my future roomate and i have been contemplating a move to the atlanta area for a few months now. She will mostly likely work in kennesaw and i would like to work for the same company as she. However, we are both coming from a city up north and we still want to be close to the city. So after doing some research, we have both settled on the sandy springs/dunwoody or doraville/chamblee area. How are the commute times for these places to Kennesaw?
There are several posters who will have more specific FYI for you.

The commute from the areas you mentioned --Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and Chamblee/Doraville is definitely possible. There have been recent posts about construction currently in progress on a segment of ??400/nearby main roads that may make timing of commutes to and from work/home critical.

There are some nice apts along Ashford Dunwoody which would appeal to young professionals and put you within relatively easy access to the Midtown/Buckhead area for the nightlife.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:59 PM

9 posts, read 19,598 times
I'm just inside 285 on Ashford Dunwoody. It would take about 30-40 minutes in the morning, maybe a bit longer in the afternoon. In the AM, going west on 285 shouldn't be a problem and then heading north on 75 to Kennesaw in the AM shouldn't pose too many problems. Both are going against traffic. Coming home 285 eastbound can get backed up a bit during rush hour. If you do move to this area, try to stay inside 285 as that will put you closer to Brookhaven & Buckhead where there are more singles. Dunwoody is more family and more traffic. Another option to consdier is Vinnings or Smyrna. That would but you closer to Kennesaw but still relativly close to town.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
The one thing going for you here is you will be, I think, mostly going in the opposite direction to the main flow of traffic. Although, Atlanta traffic is world-class bad. I would really seriously consider picking out a place to live based mostly on your work location, you will go to work 5X a week, right - and set yourself up to go downtown to play probably using MARTA's train.

This is what I would do, but I'm not a young urban hipster.

You may find the taxes in Kennesaw more tolerable than in Atlanta proper, and don't think real estate taxes are irrelevant to a renter - the landlord pays them and passes the cost on to you. You may even end up with a city income tax, I am not certain.

Which, if you recall your Econ 101, is the only thing the landlord *can* do with the tax costs...but I digress.

I would suggest you try your commute route out before putting money down on a place - Atlanta traffic is world-class bad, it's as bad as Moscow, Russia, for example.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,109 times
I work in Kennesaw and commute in from the Powers Ferry/Windy Hill area--basically right at the intersection of 285/75. Extremely close to Vinings/Smyrna, and pretty close to Sandy Springs, Buckhead, etc.

From a traffic perspective, living here is maybe the best decision I could have made. It's about a 15 min. drive to and from Kennesaw, even during rush hour. Sandy Springs is def. going to add in more to the drive. I'd recommend looking at this area, too, since everything you could want in Sandy Springs would be 10-15 min. away.

Last edited by K-SawDude; 09-12-2009 at 12:08 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 11:22 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The one thing going for you here is you will be, I think, mostly going in the opposite direction to the main flow of traffic. Although, Atlanta traffic is world-class bad. I would really seriously consider picking out a place to live based mostly on your work location, you will go to work 5X a week, right - and set yourself up to go downtown to play probably using MARTA's train.
This is what I would do, but I'm not a young urban hipster.

I would suggest you try your commute route out before putting money down on a place - Atlanta traffic is world-class bad, it's as bad as Moscow, Russia, for example.

Truer words may have never been spoken.

If your daily commute is horrendous then you will not feel like venturing forth to socialize anyway.

Maybe things 'have changed' and the socializing that goes on in Buckhead/Midtown among 20-30 somethings is a lot more 'Fun' these days but when I thought I was a 'young urban hipster' I was somewhat disillusioned at the sort 'Fun' that took place in areas designated as the Singles Scene.

Where I actually had more fun was 'outside'. It didn't take me long to find activities that involved those so inclined. I would give Bicycle South and other groups some consideration. Surely there are many in this area that make weekend trips to the North GA mountains and have social gatherings for members.

That is what worked for me.

Never too soon to learn to simplify one's life in every aspect.

hth

Old 09-13-2009, 09:35 AM

78 posts, read 368,125 times
We lived in the Vinings area for several years while I was going to Kennesaw State. It would be a much better commute for you.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,699 times
Your commute is going to be a *****. I live in east atlanta and go to KSU and it is no picnic trying to get to school and back.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Dunwoody is a little far, and Doraville is way too far for Kennesaw. You don't want to commute from farther East than the Roswell Rd / 285 interchange. Commuting across 400 is a bad idea. You're better off living closer to the I-75/I-285 interchange in Vinings/West Buckhead/Northside (Paces Ferry area), Cumberland (inc. Power's Ferry/Wildwood/Windy Ridge), Smyrna or the Western part of Sandy Springs near Riverside (all great areas with plenty to do, rivaling the Dunwoody area).

Here's an approximate map of the combination of the areas mentioned above in North Atlanta, which are best as far as commute goes: Smyrna/Vinings/West Buckhead/Sandy Springs

By the way, just out of curiosity, how did your research qualify Sandy Springs or Doraville and not Vinings, Cumberland and Smyrna? Are the apartments you find too pricy in the Vinings area? There are many good deals so I wouldn't get discouraged if you found a few that were really high-priced.

Last edited by netdragon; 09-24-2009 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta