Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,711,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Has anyone heard of hands-free. That is how I placed my call/speakerphone people. So everyone who posted something about people dialing and drivng.........you can quit with the comments.
If you read my previous comment. I stated, unless you had a hands free unit I think that was something you should of put in your original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 03:55 AM

371 posts, read 1,556,337 times
Was voice dialing involved? If not then your hand was on the phone, your response took too long.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 PM

28 posts, read 55,082 times
While we're discussing driving in Atlanta I'd like to take a poll on people's feelings on:

- Driving in the pouring rain without headlights.
- Driving and NEVER using a blinker - I lived overseas where not using your blinker can result in a hefty ticket if caught
- Driving on beautifully clear nights with obnoxious fog lights - again, throughout Europe it's illegal to burn your fog lamps on clear nights. I can only think that people in the US think of fog lamps as fashion accessories.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,311,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by praguer56 View Post
While we're discussing driving in Atlanta (LOL, the last post on this thread was over three years ago) I'd like to take a poll on people's feelings on:

- Driving in the pouring rain without headlights. Very anoying and extremely dangerous, but forgivable in some instances, depending on time of day and how abruptly the downpour started.
- Driving and NEVER using a blinker - I lived overseas where not using your blinker can result in a hefty ticket if caught I despise people who do this, especially on heavily traveled roads. How lazy can you get?
- Driving on beautifully clear nights with obnoxious fog lights - again, throughout Europe it's illegal to burn your fog lamps on clear nights. I can only think that people in the US think of fog lamps as fashion accessories. I have no opinion on this one.
Answers in bold.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,106,481 times
Quote:
While we're discussing driving in Atlanta I'd like to take a poll on people's feelings on:

Against the law in Georgia, and dangerous. And yet when we first moved down here I saw a Cobb County Sheriff car do that very thing three times in a row. I guess some cops aren't too smart. The lights are so OTHERS CAN SEE YOU, people. We know you think you can see.
Quote:
- Driving and NEVER using a blinker - I lived overseas where not using your blinker can result in a hefty ticket if caught
Used to bother me when I first moved down here. Now I have other issues with drivers here.

Quote:
- Driving on beautifully clear nights with obnoxious fog lights - again, throughout Europe it's illegal to burn your fog lamps on clear nights. I can only think that people in the US think of fog lamps as fashion accessories.
I used to use my Supra's fog lights only when it was wet outside ... in the wintertime especially it helped to see in construction areas when everything was wet and sandy. Otherwise, I never used them because I find them annoying when someone coming towards me has them on.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:42 PM

738 posts, read 1,378,840 times
What's up with those people who use the 4-way flashing hazard lights when it's raining? I'd never seen that before I moved to Georgia.

I'd also never seen people pull over and stop when a funeral procession is going past in the other direction. Is that just a Southern thing?

Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,896,622 times
Quote:
I'd also never seen people pull over and stop when a funeral procession is going past in the other direction. Is that just a Southern thing?
Yes. Never saw this in South Florida.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:13 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,718,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
What's up with those people who use the 4-way flashing hazard lights when it's raining? I'd never seen that before I moved to Georgia.

It's to let you know that they are driving slow for conditions or they can't see at all. It's a help when it's a downpour and you can't always see the car in front of you.

Yes, it is mostly a Southern thing. It probably does happen in other parts of the country though.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,539,660 times
To the op, while I agree that it's your responsibility to make sure there isn't another car in your blind spot (which you did), it's also not only extremely impolite, but dangerous to ride in someone else's blind spot simply because you can't count on them checking their blind sport. I always try to either pass, or stay in back, sometimes it's hard to avoid remaining in someone's blind spot for a few minutes, but this is usually only during heavy, but flowing traffic.
Quote:

(In order)
I hate people that do this. I just drive with my headlights on all the time, to me, it's as routine as starting the engine and putting my seat belt on.
I hate people that do this too. Also people who seem to think that it's ok to engage the turn signal after they're already half into the new land.
The fog lights don't bother me. What bothers me is people not dimming their brights.

Quote:

*SNIP*
That also irritates me to no end. If you don't think you're good enough to drive without a gigantic warning sign on your car, then please stay off the road. Not only could someone think they're coming up on a stopped vehicle and start jumping around lanes, but you also don't have any directional signaling with all your emergency flashers on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It's to let you know that they are driving slow for conditions or they can't see at all. It's a help when it's a downpour and you can't always see the car in front of you.

*SNIP*
If they can't see at all, then they just need to stop and let those of us who actually can see continue unimpeded. If they turned their lights on, then they're plenty visible enough without a flashing distraction. In the Georgia Driver's Manual on page 83, it specifically states to not drive with your flashers on (the section on fog)

Old 11-02-2012, 07:19 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,311,305 times
Quote:
People do it in New England, too. It's meant as a sign of respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta