Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,146,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd242 View Post
They don't make sense at all really. Georgia taxes you on the value of your car every year on your birthday. Happy Birthday!

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/AdValorem/Default.aspx
Georgia isn't alone in doing this. Minnesota does the same thing, and the cost is roughly the same, so we had to adjust very little when moving down here.

Having an older car helps a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 01:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,059,086 times
Wa state also did it until the votors passed flat $30 renewals but then it started going up again. Your so right that this is not just a Ga thing by any means. For many used cars the cost is very little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Georgia isn't alone in doing this. Minnesota does the same thing, and the cost is roughly the same, so we had to adjust very little when moving down here.

Having an older car helps a lot.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM

6 posts, read 15,567 times
[FONT=Verdana]Years ago I remember a local news station stating the tax was used to help keep our gas prices one of the lowest in the nation... I guess last year when we were at nearly $5/gallon and one of the highest in the nation it blew that theory out of the water... It's a ridiculous tax that we have to pay on our birthdays. Not only is it based on the value of your vehicle but also based on the tax rate in the county that you live in, unfortunately you live in Fulton which is one of the highest. With an 05 you're probably okay for about $150 - 200/yr, but get a new car and you will be $400 or more a year depending on the value of course...[/FONT][FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Old 08-20-2009, 02:55 PM

697 posts, read 3,027,687 times
And if you don't want your birthday ruined, just arrange things like my wife and I have, where my car's registered in her name and hers in mine -- you still have to remember the date, but you have other reasons to ;-) . We didn't do it for that reason (been that way through several cars dating back to about 1995), but it works for us.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:51 PM

48 posts, read 145,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd242 View Post
They don't make sense at all really. Georgia taxes you on the value of your car every year on your birthday. Happy Birthday!

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/AdValorem/Default.aspx

Well I've actually been here few months, my birthday is in Sept. so I decided just to wait, I would have feigned stupidity if I got pulled over.

So, $127 ad valorem, $20 registration, $18 title, $25 emissions test? That's it right? Not as bad as I thought, but still more then I paid in Seattle. And that's assuming I didn't miss any fees. They aren't going to charge me for the license plate also are they? Stupid question, I'm sure they will.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,435,868 times
That being said, what counties in the Metro Area don't have emissions? I have quite a bit of cars. I need to know, as I use my (valid FL) Dealer Plates for my sports cars at times (to drive around the neigborhood from time to time. One of them is sure not to pass emissions in its state of tune. It's highly modified ).

Old 08-20-2009, 09:06 PM

950 posts, read 3,198,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
That being said, what counties in the Metro Area don't have emissions? I have quite a bit of cars. I need to know, as I use my (valid FL) Dealer Plates for my sports cars at times (to drive around the neigborhood from time to time. One of them is sure not to pass emissions in its state of tune. It's highly modified ).
Only Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale counties (all in Metro Atlanta) require emission tests.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,227,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Only Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale counties (all in Metro Atlanta) require emission tests.
Which makes no sense. The air doesn't stop at county lines. On top of that, there is no vehicle inspection of any other kind in Georgia, so you have unsafe junker, clunker cars driving around that shouldn't be on the road, and they're spewing pollution into air with no way to stop it.

Stuff like this is where Georgia looks like a backward state.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:56 PM

206 posts, read 1,014,757 times
To the original thread poster:

Had I known that I would have had to pay again on my birthday, I would have waited to register my car. I paid I believe 50 something dollars and then on my birthday had to pay 130.00 for a '05 Impala. I know a lot people told me it would be 300 or 400. I was so grateful it wasn't because I had considered riding around with my old state tags until I figured out that the cops will pull you over and remember your car so the next time you get stopped it will result in a ticket. SO I decided I may as well get it together. Good luck to you!

Old 08-22-2009, 01:26 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,420,352 times
There is an old saying, " No matter what state you live in the beaucratic governments of each will find a way to pork you equally"

GA as the ad valorem tax and charges $20.00 for the tag.
Illinois does not but charges close to 100 for the tag plus town stickers
NJ does not have the tax but kills you on the tag.
SC has the tax and it is much worse than GA
VA has the tax, WV has the tax, RI and others have one that is similar

Georgia just has it on your birthday. Not only does your car exhaust get rammed, you do too! Bend over! It's yer Birt'day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta