Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 15,183 times

Advertisements

A cop pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for not having GA plates even though it was not my car. I believe he was wrong to do so, but how much of a hassle is it to go to court? Would I have to wait all day until my case is called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,201,818 times
This isn't legal advice, but in most states it's a moving violation to be operating an improperly registered or insured vehicle. If you were driving, you have a responsibility to check and know whether it's legally on the road. Check with your attorney for the law in Georgia.

As for what's involved if you want to go to court, my experience is limited to Cobb Co and here you go first to plead (arraignment) and then you schedule your trial (either a bench or jury trial). It will involve at least two appearances in court.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:04 PM

132 posts, read 446,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia88 View Post
A cop pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for not having GA plates even though it was not my car. I believe he was wrong to do so, but how much of a hassle is it to go to court? Would I have to wait all day until my case is called?
A cop can't just pull you over for not having GA plates. Thousands of OOS plates pass through everyday, so please elaborate what really happened so this makes sense.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKATL View Post
A cop can't just pull you over for not having GA plates. Thousands of OOS plates pass through everyday, so please elaborate what really happened so this makes sense.
He can if the plates are expired or the vehicle is improperly registered. If you move to GA (or any state), you have 30 days to change the plates. There must be more to the story than we're being told.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:13 PM

My point excatly, he/she needs to explain why they were stopped.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:18 PM

26 posts, read 92,919 times
Only if you really, really believe that you are not in the wrong. I received a ticket for crossing the diagonal yellow lines a few yards prior to reaching the left turn lane. I mean really, so what? It's not like I ran a red light or ignored a stop sign. So, I planned to go to court to plead that my traffic infraction deserved, worst case scenario, a warning. Got to Johns Creek court, and there were like 100 people there. I was expecting me and the judge. It took up several hours of time and it would have cost me more (court costs) and with almost complete certainty would have been futile to argue it. Technically, however insignificant, I did break the law, so that's that. Minimum traffic fine is $175, which I had to pay! Brilliant PR for our brand new Johns Creek police department.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:22 PM

750 posts, read 2,277,417 times
I see cars all the time with tags from different states, I always thought you had to get a georgia tag within 30 days also but I've seen the same multiple cars for months now with out of state plates.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
I see cars all the time with tags from different states, I always thought you had to get a georgia tag within 30 days also but I've seen the same multiple cars for months now with out of state plates.
I have seen cars here with expired out of state plates that were many months expired. It's shocking that more aren't pulled over. Of course, just because some people move here and don't change their plates and get away with it doesn't make it right or legal.

I switched mine literally as soon as I closed on my house, which just happened to be exactly 30 days from the day we moved. For me it wasn't being legal as much as saving money on taxes and insurance. Every day with my car registered in MA was another day paying MA excise tax and paying for overpriced, government regulated MA car insurance.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
Well either they haven't been caught or they're just back and forth from their respective state.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,622,224 times
We got pulled over twice in two separate cars within the first ten days after we moved here. In Alabama your tag doesn't expire until the end of the month. So we thought we had thirty days, but according to the cops here, even though May wasn't over, our tags had expired. We thought it was rather strange, but we just paid the tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta