Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 10,720 times

Advertisements

I received a speeding ticket for going 49 in a 25 last night. Does anyone have any experience trying to fight tickets in Dekalb County?

I was approaching stone mountain and pulled on to a 2 lane road that had a sign hanging over it "25mph Speed limit - WHEN FLASHING" Obviously at 8pm on memorial day it wasnt flashing and I proceeded at a normal speed down a 2 lane rural road - ~40 mph. There was one other sign I passed shortly after the hanging sign that said School Zone Speed limit 25. Going down a hill i was lasered by a cop who said i was doing 49....

I find it kind of disingenuous to have a prominent sign that tells you that the school zone speed limit is 25 ONLY when flashing and then a sign that displays that school zone speed limit again right after it and you are supposed to take from that the the speed limit is the school zone speed limit at all times - 25.

Do i have any shot in court or should I try to get a traffic attorney? I have no problem paying a reasonable fine but $380+ and probable insurance hike seems ridiculous for the confusing nature of the speed signs and where I was driving.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:41 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,965,555 times
Find out what happens if you plead Nolo.. I did it years ago but I think the infraction was still on my record. I think you can do it once every 5 years or something like that. I know I paid a fine..

Old 07-05-2010, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 13,994 times
Dekalb County police are horrible. They spend more time issuing tickets rather than fighting crime. T I can't tell you how many times an office got behind me just to read my plates. I'm sure if I had no insurance, he/she would have fabricated a story. I even got a ticket after leaving Big Miller Grove Baptist Church, my local polling location. Police were strategically posted up and down Panola the day of the presidential election. I was pulled over along with another motorist for failing to make a complete stop at a stop sign. Tell me who would be able to turn onto Panola without stopping at 8:00 in the morning? NOBODY!!! Dekalb Co is all about making $$$ because they surely don't protect the citizens.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 13,994 times
My son's car was stolen in 2007 from the high school; we were lucky to find it in the neighborhood after 3 days. We called the police and he actually accused us of stealing our own car. He even got a call on the radio to a location that required additional backup. His words, "glad I'm on this call". Dekalb Co prefers to harass their tax paying citizens in order to generate revenue. It's a shame!! If you ever have to call them, please reconsider because you'll either be seriously hurt or dead by the time they get to you.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:32 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,460 times
I never had any trouble with DeKalb County Police. They are usually pretty good about responding when it's dealing with hostile situations.

I've gotten a violation for rolling through a stop sign without stopping back when I was 19; on top of that I didn't have any proof of insurance in my car(Back when there wasn't a statewide insurance database). I went to court, brought my insurance card, & the judge simply gave me a tongue lashing. I didn't have to pay any money.

Simple advice to folks: don't go to traffic court with a chip on your shoulder & DEFINITELY do not bring a thugged-out hoodlum relative or friend along. It seems that others who had similar offenses as mine ended up paying a decent chunk of change.

Just sayin'.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
I agree that Dekalb will write you a ticket for just about anything now that they used to let slip in the past. I went to a stop sign and was maybe 1mph at best and got a ticket since my tire didnt come to a 100% stop.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:48 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,426,755 times
I've emailed the AJC to see if they have investigated what seems to be an HUGE increase it tickets issued.

It is against the law in Georgia for traffic fines to make up more than a certain % of your budget.

I have gotten pulled over 3 times in the past 16 mths. It is all about making up for lost tax revenue.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,460 times
That could be said for MANY municipalities in Georgia, not just Dekalb. I remember seeing the news recently about accusations that the City of Eastpoint Police Department had an unofficial ticket quota system. Of course the Police Chief denied it, but that place had always been a ticket trap anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I've emailed the AJC to see if they have investigated what seems to be an HUGE increase it tickets issued.

It is against the law in Georgia for traffic fines to make up more than a certain % of your budget.

I have gotten pulled over 3 times in the past 16 mths. It is all about making up for lost tax revenue.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:53 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times
AJC had an article on Dekalb a few weeks back on their traffic court.

I was surprised to see that Dekalb gives out 25% of the tickets in GA in 2008 or 2009. We have 159 counties so that says alot....

Old 07-05-2010, 10:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
No one here could or should be offering legal advice on what to do when someone receives tickets, so please consult an attorney who specializes in such matters for advice on options. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: