Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 39,824 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about sending my son to Woodward Academy North next year when he starts Kindergarten. I would love to hear the experiences of parents who have, or had, children attend here.

Some of my immediate questions are:

- Aside from the tuition posted on their website, are there any other fees or costs I should expect throughout the school year? For example - field trips, fundraisers, etc… (I am already aware of the uniform costs)

- Was your child previously in a public school? Did you notice any changes with your child after switching?

- Anyone ever had a child attend here, but you pulled them out for a specific reason(s)? (Other than relocation or income changes)

Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback. I have searched through this forum and already found lots of useful information. Thanks! Please keep in mind that I am not looking for a Public vs. Private School debate. I would just like some honest feedback about Woodward.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:57 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,707 times
I don't know that much about it now, but my grandfather boarded there when it was Georgia Military Academy....but that's been around 70 years ago, lol. I've heard mixed reviews on it, so hopefully someone else will have better knowledge....

Old 08-05-2009, 08:00 PM

81 posts, read 292,734 times
Woodward is in the top tier (5 to 10 best schools, public or private) in Atlanta metro and one of the finest schools in the entire southeast and entire country.

You can not go wrong by sending your son there. Other expenses would be mostly from books.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 PM

426 posts, read 1,445,918 times
Although with any private school there will be expectations of donations of time and money for fundraisers, events, etc. That of course is true at public schools, but some parents coming into private schools are surprised by it. I do not have kids at Woodward, but did have a friend who was a teacher there just a few years ago. Her children were there and she was a big proponent of the school. They moved, so are no longer there. She did say that starting your child there early was the only way to ensure a place in the higher grades when entry becomes MUCH more competitive.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:07 AM

351 posts, read 533,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
Although with any private school there will be expectations of donations of time and money for fundraisers, events, etc. That of course is true at public schools, but some parents coming into private schools are surprised by it. I do not have kids at Woodward, but did have a friend who was a teacher there just a few years ago. Her children were there and she was a big proponent of the school. They moved, so are no longer there. She did say that starting your child there early was the only way to ensure a place in the higher grades when entry becomes MUCH more competitive.
This is very true because from what I have heard they hardly let kids in the higher grades unless they are 'Really Special"(aka have an important parent/family member)

Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 13,554 times
We have two sons who attended public school through 5th grade. No problem getting them into private school. They're bright kids and our income was sufficient (though we're middle income). These seem to be the most important factors. There's a large expansion of class size in 6th grade to accommodate those children transitioning from public to private school. Our oldest had a tough couple of months when he started but quickly adapted as he made new friends. Our younger son didn't have any problems at all as his best friend also started Woodward the same year.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 39,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsummins View Post
We have two sons who attended public school through 5th grade. No problem getting them into private school. They're bright kids and our income was sufficient (though we're middle income). These seem to be the most important factors. There's a large expansion of class size in 6th grade to accommodate those children transitioning from public to private school. Our oldest had a tough couple of months when he started but quickly adapted as he made new friends. Our younger son didn't have any problems at all as his best friend also started Woodward the same year.
Thanks to all who replied. I have heard good things about Woodward and just wondered if anyone had any negative experiences.

I have yet to find any, other than the private vs. public school debate.

Thanks again.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Here are the only concerns that I have heard people speak about Woodward, one specific to Woodward North and the other to Woodward itself.

1. As kids approach middle school, many families who are unwilling to use the College Park campus leave Woodward North for their next school. So some of their friends may be gone. (Not the end of the world, kids move all the time.)

2. The kids really come from all over Metro Atlanta in middle and high school. (Though you should be ok at Woodward North, it is something to consider if you plan to use it k-12.) It can have a funny social dynamic to it -- because getting together is difficult.

I wouldn't let the first one dissuade you and you are to far from middle and high school to worry about it.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:41 PM

81 posts, read 292,734 times
All the Buckhead kids go to main campus....they don't go to north.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:28 AM

45 posts, read 140,357 times
Both my kids went to Woodward (main campus). Only other cost to consider will be the bus, which you would likely use when the go to main campus for middle and HS. Many also use MARTA or drive when they get older. Yes, kids live all over, so friends live anywhere from Peachtree City to Alpharetta, but they get an opportunity to meet kids from all over. My kids attended before the new headmaster started, so dont know if things have changed. But my kids got a wonderful education!! Great school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta